Publishing and links

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Publishing and links

I published all 10 pages of my site. Only the index page is showing up. The link Home is not working, either. The index page is going to have a flash movie on it, so the home page to my website is actually going to be next page. I wanted to publish to make sure everything worked. Nothing does. I cannot even type the entire page name into browser to see the page. I keep getting Error, page not found. Someone please help me. Also, when linking, should the target area be left blank (not_blank) in order to open page in same window? That is how I have set my links up for pages within site. Links to external sites are set as _blank to open in new window. Someone please help!!

Re: Publishing and links

We need a link to your site to see. But as foar as the page not being found that means that either you did not save it correctly, or have the link correct or you did not publish it. Each page has to be published seperately. To see what pages you have published, the names and extension type look in your control panel/file manager.
    Reguards
    Ed
    www.dsondesigns.com
    www.marseillesyouthsports.com
    www.300hitter.com
    www.bigjk.net
    How to add JAlbum to your site

Comment

The site is manheimne.com. You won't see much. I checked the file manager and the index is listed as index.html. All other pages are listed as pagename.php. Is this wrong? I saved everything per the tutorials. All pages were publishe seperately. All are in my file manager.

Comment

The only link you have on the page is "Home." It looks for www.manheim.com, which does not exist. Change it to your correct URL.

EDIT: OK, sorry--either my eyes weren't working or you changedthe link as I typed...never mind until I take a second look.
        CLAMcentral.com Children's Ministry resources
        CLAMcentral's Projects Blog
        CLAMbakeonline.com Family Fun

Comment

Anyway, your link is looking for http://www.manheimne.com/manheim.html. Have you published that page? You should save and publish it as manheim with no capital letters or extension--BV will add the .html. You are correct about the target fields.

Comment

All pages have been published. When I save the pages, BV does add the extension .bvp and they are saved in my BV folder. I then open a page, make any necessary changes, and publish. I did not add any extensions. BV never asked for any. When I look at the files in File Manager, only the index page has a .html extension. All other pages (that I published in the same manner as the index page) have a .php extension. It seems to me that all these pages should have .html extensions. Why would they be .php? It's the only reason I can think of as to why I can't find any pages online or my links don't work. How can I get the .html extension onto all other pages?

Comment

Hi--I think I was a little loopy this morning before my coffee. You Home link should just be http://www.manheimne.com --you don't need to specify the index page for that link because manheimne.com is your main page.

The php extensions are not a problem. I can go to http://www.manheimne.com/manheim.php no problem, because that's the true name of the page. Php extensions are used by BV for pages with forms on them--that page has a contact form and so it has the php extention on it. I don't know the names of your other pages so I can't view them, but they will be php if they have forms. The good news is, even if they don't have forms, the php extension works fine--you can change it if you like but you don't have to. But if you do leave them with php, then your links need to be changed accordingly. Then they'll work.

Comment

Tom....you are the man. That makes perfect sense. There is a form on every one of my pages. Is this info on the forms tutorials? I don't remember seeing anything about linking to a page with a form and using the .php extension in the link. I am actually excited to try this on Monday at work. You made my weekend. Thanks again.

Comment

Cool! I don't know if the php info is in the tutorials; just remember that whatever your page is named is EXACTLY what must be in the link. That's one reason why lowercase and so on is pretty much required. Just so you know, a form requires two-way communication to go on, something an html page can't do. Php takes care of that.

Comment

Working...
                  X