Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Testing....First attempt - What doesn't work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing....First attempt - What doesn't work?

Let me state right now that I know NOTHING about building a web site or computers = total newbie. The language just escapes me LOL....Blue Voda and your forums are the only reason that I've gotten this far.....So, thanks!

Please view my site www.showcaseltd.com for me. It works and looks issue free on my computer when viewing in both IE and FF (although I expect there ARE issues).

The email doesn't work on the contact page. Nothing happens when I click the email address....What's wrong?

Re: Testing....First attempt - What doesn't work?

For a Newbie, you are doing well..............try using the Form Wizzard in bluevoda instead of relying on the visitors email system.

Will have another look, a little later.
    Have fun
    Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
    Newbies / Beginners Forum
    FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
    My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
    Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Comment

Hi, off to a good start. On a quick look through, i noticed that there is a bit of side scroll. Would be better if the pages are built between 785 & 985 wide to eliminate this. And a couple of pages were a bit slow to fully load with the images slowing things down a bit.
      Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

HELP !!!!!

I tried making the page width 980 as suggested and using the left side to begin. But when I preview, everything lines up with the right side in my browser - not centered.
        Why?

Also, several friends have informed me that instead of seeing any part of the site, they received:
        Index of /Parent Directory
        .htaccess
        cgi-bin
        mail
        Apache/1.3.41 Server at www.showcaseltd.com Port 80

Why??

I will have to work on a form for email later. Probably more important that people can at least OPEN my site.....
        LOL

Okay - and I have another dumb question -- why does everything appear perfectly (other than a few slow-loading photos) and work perfectly (except email) when I type in www.showcaseltd.com??
        Is it because the files are on my computer???????
        Last edited by Horsetrainer; 01-30-2009, 04:56 PM. Reason: forgot another question...

Comment

Love the barn, I used to raise Arabians...Make things a little smaller to get rid of the sideways scroll..Your off to a great start.. I also used to show open jumpers as well.
          Sharon Chajin

Comment

Originally posted by Horsetrainer View Post
            HELP !!!!!

I tried making the page width 980 as suggested and using the left side to begin. But when I preview, everything lines up with the right side in my browser - not centered.
            Why?

Also, several friends have informed me that instead of seeing any part of the site, they received:
            Index of /Parent Directory
            .htaccess
            cgi-bin
            mail
            Apache/1.3.41 Server at www.showcaseltd.com Port 80

Why??

I will have to work on a form for email later. Probably more important that people can at least OPEN my site.....
            LOL

Okay - and I have another dumb question -- why does everything appear perfectly (other than a few slow-loading photos) and work perfectly (except email) when I type in www.showcaseltd.com??
            Is it because the files are on my computer???????
            Hi, things can look very different on many screens depending on the setting of each visitor’s monitor & resolution settings. This is why it is recommended to set the width to somewhere between 785 & 985 with the center in browser box ticked. (Depending on personal preferences of a finished page looks).
            You have yours set to 1200 wide & if you are building within the 1200 mark on your ruler, you will always have side scroll.
            As for your friends seeing an odd page, they might of visited your site before you had the index page up & might have an old page in their cache’s. Tell them to hit F5 quite a few times wile on the page.

Your loading times are not that bad, but could be faster for visitors with a slower connection. The reason it loads fine on your machine is that you have been to the pages before & you already have the images in your cache.
            Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Working...
            X