please help me with linking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• please help me with linking

aloha! my name is jonathan wolf. i am a bamboo flute maker and music player who peddles his wears at yoga studios. this is my second site ever so i am a novice for sure.
    here is my site

here is what is going on for me:

so to further qualify and quantify what is going on for me:

1. my nav bar buttons are not linking. when i preview and when i publish, the home page known as www.dragonflutesrising.com/index.html does not have highlighted nav buttons. they are there but nothing happens when the mouse is dragged over them. there is but one page that both previews correctly, and publishes correctly, kind of. it is the flute page, one of my five nav bar buttons. the nav bar button on the flute page links to itself and every other button like it should except for the home button. it puts up a 404 error.

also, on this flute page are 3 pics of different flutes. each pic is hyperlinked to an expansion page of that flute where a visitor can watch a video, and buy the flute thru paypal. these hyperlinks are not working.

2. my plan is having a main product page. this page is named flutes and has a nav bar button assigned to it. on this flutes page are three flutes. each pic can be clicked to lead to an expansion page. i have just mentioned this above. these pics as hyperlinks are not working. in addition to these hyper link failures, i also inserted a text hyperlink on the flutes page. this is supposed to take them to an additional page with three other flutes which they can then click on to expand. this text hyperlink from /flutes.html to /moreflutes.html is also not working, neither in preview nor in publish. i have loaded all these expansion pages, in fact every page i have created, in the blueftp. when i load the expansion pages, which have AVI video formats, they seem to show up on the remote files list, but while i drag and release them on the remote list, i notice that they don't really show loading on the status bar. the progress box moves quickly thru the transfer, and no status or progress bar fills up.

3. when trying to publish my expansion pages with AVI video (which are no longer than 1min) they don't upload. is AVI too big? how can i resize?

my biggest problem(s) right now is how to have my nav bar buttons work, why the flutes page is the only one where the nav bar buttons work (i did triple check the properties of the nav bar linking on this page to see if it differed from the others and i could find no difference). from there my other text and image hyperlinking is not working. am i not uploading onto blueftp correctly? am i not encoding the right suffix (.html)?

please help!

Re: please help me with linking

Jonathan--The answer to #1 is in your other thread. As far as 2 and 3 goes, you cannot ftp upload a BV page with much hope for success. They must be published using the Publish icon. When you publish a page, lets say it's named flutes, save it as flutes and publish it as flutes. BV will add the proper extensions automatically. When you link, your link will have to have the .html extension so that the link can find the page.
    CLAMcentral.com Children's Ministry resources
    CLAMcentral's Projects Blog
    CLAMbakeonline.com Family Fun

Comment

As Tom said your text you have for your header is covering your navbar, quick fix right click on the text and select the move to back this will bring the navbar infront.
      you have one or two problems.
      1/ no index page as such though it is comimg up as home.html

2/ all the pages i found have error showing this mainly being an onclick oncommand you have in the page properties, as seen here
      <body bgcolor="#000000" text="#E6E6FA" onclick="window.open('http://www.dragonflutesrising.com/home.html);return false;">
      different links on different pages.
      your flutes page

the links don't work as you said.

1/ remove the onclick commands from all pages in the page properties.
      2/ rename the home page to index and republish.
      3/ check the link names with the actual page names and correct and republish. "removing the onclick commands might solve this"
      Alien Dude Solutions

Comment

hey guys, thanx.

so i got the nav bar working and all linked up.

now, as far as the flute page goes, i have two types of links that aren't working.

1. the text link on the page www.dragonflutesrising.com/flutes.html is supposed to link to www.dragonflutesrising.com/moreflutes.html. to set this up, i simply highlighted a piece of text in a sentence, choosing the word "link", and opened its properties to add a hyperlink. i linked it with the appropriate text, to my knowledge. i never set up any 'on click commands' for this text link.

2. the other type of link that is not working is also on the same page:
        www.dragonflutesrising.com/flutes.html this page has three flute pics. each pic is set up as a link to an expansion page of that flute. again, i didn't set any 'on click commands' in the effects for this link, i set the pic itself as a hyperlink by highlighting the pic, right clicking, and selecting the hyperlink option.
        so, if i click on the first pic closest to the top, it is supposed to link to www.dragonflutesrising.com/biggexpansion.html
        this self titled expansion page has an AVI video of the flute playing, as well as a paypal button to 'add to cart'. does it need to be a .php b/c of the paypal button? is the AVI video file the wrong format for the video to be in and that's why it's not loading?
        when i placed this expansion page onto my remote files via the blueftp, it didn't seem to load fully (no progress bar filled up) but the file is still listed in the remote files directory.
        also what is the difference between something tagged with the suffix .html vs the suffix .bvp? i see both extensions for most of my pages. is this something to look into as far as the links not working?

my gosh, it was so nice to hear from you two, finding solutions made me feel very supported!

Comment

Jonathan--You keep saying you are using ftp to upload your pages. YOU CAN'T DO THAT. You will have problems such as these if you do. PUBLISH your pages via the Publish icon.

Your links are fine, but the pages you want to link to don't exist on the web. Publish them (no extensions) and then your links should work.

Comment

i do you use the publish icon. i have published everything thru the publish icon. that's how any of it got up. i have published all my pages including my extensions thru the icon, but i guess i have to create an blueftp account and connect to that server and upload by files first, THEN publish them thru the site builder icon right?

Comment

Well, your links on your nav bar are working, so that's been resolved. As far as I can see, the links on your flute photos are correct, but the pages they call for don't exist on the web.

Take www.dragonflutesrising.com/biggexpansion.html for example. You should have a file named "biggexpansion.html" in your public_html folder. To see if you do, go to Tools > FTP Manager, click "Connect" so that the window pane on the right shows a list of all files in the public_html folder. "biggexpansion.html" will be in that list. If it is not, or if it has any misspelling or capital letters, then you need to republish correctly.

Comment

hey all! thanx again for your support.

so what i'm up against now is a video question. is AVI and acceptible video format? i have 12 flutes. i have 12 videos of said flutes, taken with a canon digi and saved in AVI. when i use the quicktime player, i can see them in the preview of the page working great. when i go to publish said page, it never finishes uploading. both real time player and windows media player would not preview the vids at all.

is there an easy way to fix this? is there an easy way to convert over to a video format that is supported in bluevoda?

shanks a lot der, shanks a lot!

Comment

just wanted to say once again thanks to all for you patience and invaluable help. i am very pleased with blue voda and voda host. my questions for linking have been answered and solved. thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X