This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can you suspend a website

Hi was wondering how to suspend a website I have built for a client who has not paid me for doing it any tips or suggestions??

Re: can you suspend a website

If you still have the passwords to publish, you can publish a blank index page, or even delete everything.

If not, then ?????
    Have fun
    Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
    Newbies / Beginners Forum
    FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
    My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
    Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Comment

You could be nasty and publish a page that says "down for construction" as the index page just as David suggested. Hopefully they will pay you in advance to get it up running again....(laugh).

Good luck
      Professional Photography Services Pretoria
      Advertising for South African Businesses

Comment

Excellent advice I can be nasty too by putting page down due to known payment Haha. I will do this with the blank page but what do I do with the other pages will they not show up??
        Thanks Robin

Comment

You can redirect the pages to the index page......

You could be nasty and put on that the website is down due to non payment....lol...but I think we both know better, we will not go so low.....lol

Comment

Yes for sure I have been working on this site since Nov/08 thats why I am upset. How do I redirect them all to the index. Do I change the links to index??

Comment

I came accross it somewhere in the forums. But come to think of it, You will have to delete the contents of page. So don't think that one is going to work.... ( I am not sure about this, maybe you could just enter the script in an html box and test if it will work)

Maybe you should redirect the whole domain to one of your domains....if you have. That you can do in your cpanel.

IF you dont have a domain of your own, purchase one cheap cheap, and redirect the website to the purchased domain.

Comment

Thanks for that will check the forums

Comment

I will post the link if I can get my hands on it.

I am sure it will be under the redirecting, DNS topics.

Comment

Ok thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by wolfel66 View Post
                      Hi was wondering how to suspend a website I have built for a client who has not paid me for doing it any tips or suggestions??
                      http://www.moesguiding.net

Your best option is to log in via ftp and remove the files you published .. it's really really bad advice to do any of the above, and some you can't even do .. even though you have been done wrongly, two wrongs do not make a right and you just may find yourself sued for deflamation of character, at the very least ...

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                      1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                      02036089024 / United Kingdom
                      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Thanks for that too

Comment

Dont take it lightly and listen to the Lady.
                          www.siapamoyanganda.com/
                          Malaysian Family Tree Website From the
                          State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Comment

Everyone seems to have overlooked a critical question regarding the "Account" itself, before offering 'suggestions' of remedy: the first issue to resolve is just whose hosting account was this website published to in the first place?
                            The suggestion regarding possible "defamation" is non-applicable in this matter (but there is a possibility of litigation being brought), as outlined below!

1) If it was published to your VodaHost account as an add-on domain, then you are guilty of reselling services, a violation of Vodahost's Terms of Service which may result in your account being terminated without notice or recourse!

2) If the hosting account is elsewhere, yet still your account, you may be subject to similar TOS provisions, so be sure to ascertain who in fact "owns" the account before you make any changes to it!

3) Additionally, legal ownership of the domain itself (whether it is listed as Primary anywhere, or is simply DNS directed to hosting) comes into play, inasmuch you have no right to make any entries or take any actions upon the domain without express authorization from the owner themselves ---- irregardless the non-payment claim you have against them: ICANN does not make allowances for arbritrary actions for erroneous business practices or "errors and omissions" (i.e.: it's up to you to get paid before delivering products). Building a website is far different than building a house: you can't put a lein against it, or hold it hostage (either by restricting access to it or "withdrawing it from the WWW") unlawfully.

Bottom line, you have few options:
                            A) If you published the website to a VodaHost account that is in your name, you best go delete the add-on and wipe the instance from your account lest you be revealed by the AdminBots (who check/verify all domains and ownerships against Accountholder's names) and have your account terminated.

B) If the website was published to a VodaHost account in their name (as should be), or if the account is held elsewhere, and you do in fact still have access to the cPanel, then you should simply delete your files and offer to re-publish them properly once the balance of what was agreed is paid.

C) You must NOT make any DNS changes upon a domain that you do not own personally no matter where the hosting lies during this "period of dispute," for that is specifically a violation of ICANN stipulations, and any similar action would constitute grounds from the owner of the domain, the hosting account, or the website (whether or not it is "paid for") to file suit against you for damages, loss of Good Will, Unfair Business Practices, Restriction of Fair Trade, and/or Breach of Contract, and they stand to be awarded significant amounts of money VERY easily in court simply because they are the owners of the domain and/or the business--- no matter if you also have seemingly legitimate justifications to seek recourse!

The real points here are that you need to be in complete compliance with the TOS of the Hosting Provider, with ICANN, and to realize that you need to be very careful about doing things on your own: that is why we have courts and file lawsuits for recourse!

Understand?

In the future, defer to a "pay-as-you-go" method if you can't deal with the "deposit(s) with Balance on Delivery" practices that are pretty much standard.
                            . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
                            * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

oh .. we brought out the sherriff .. hee hee .. thought you might appear with this post Vasili .. lol ..

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                              1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                              02036089024 / United Kingdom
                              291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Working...
                              X