Need help with Navigation Buttons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with Navigation Buttons

On my home page for http://www.webworldaffiliates.com which I am trying to get set up, I have a problem which I can't seem to get resolved. The Navigation buttons don't work. I get message "The URL is not valid and cannot be loaded". I have links at bottom of the page with the exact same URLs and they work with no problems. I have deleted everything and redone them several times, deleted cookies, cleared cache and still get the same results. I'm stuck. Specifically, I am talking about the About Us and Privacy Policy Buttons. Willl someone please advise me? Regards, David

Re: Need help with Navigation Buttons

The navigation buttons have no place to go. They are linked to http:///

Need to link the buttons like you have the text links at the bottom
    Jerry

Great Adult Gag Gifts
    Rockdale, TX - Class of 1965
    Milam County Historical Commission

Comment

I have entered the correct URLs with no luck. The text link at bottom for About Us Works Fine and the link on About Us page to Privacy Statement works fine but the Link at bottom of Index page to Privacy Statement doesn't work even tho the URLs are identical. And none of the links on the buttons at top work even tho the correct URLs have been entered . I think there is some other problem because when I publish the index page for WebworldAffiliates.com it overwrites the index page on my other site Machiningbythebook.com. Then I have to republish the Machining site. The index.html file for machining by the book is is main directory and the index.html for Webworldaffiliates is in WebworldAffiliates Sub directory. I'm getting more confused the further I go. Regards, David
      Last edited by Davethorn; 03-20-2009, 04:20 PM. Reason: misspelling

Comment

Your contact page is linked to your email address. Would be best to create a Form for contact but if you want the link to open in the person's email program you must change the link type to 'email'.

Form home page to Privacy Policy shows this linik:

That's a bit too many www's. Should read

That's if you named your page "privacy_policy" - with no spaces and I'm not sure you would need the Affiliates in the name just to keep it simple.
        The Nav menu is NOT linked. Go to your home page in your browser and hold your cursor over the links and look at the bottom of your screen and it shows the URL. How are you adding the URL to those buttons? You should be able to click on then and Edit to add the correct URL.
        Jerry

Great Adult Gag Gifts

Comment

BTW: Is this an add-on domain (where you purchased the domain name) or a sub-domain (where it is merely piggybacking on your main domain)?
          Jerry

Great Adult Gag Gifts

Comment

This is an add-on domain which I purchased from Voda Host. I think where I may have messed up is when I created a folder for webworldaffiliates, but I don't know how to undo what I done. I created this folder to separate the index.html files (ie. for Machiningbythe book and webworldaffiliates.)Should all the files in webworldaffiliates (Sub_directory) Folder be returned to Root folder? I'm lost. Regards, David

Comment

So machiningbythebook.com is your main domain and webworldaffiliates.com is your add-on domain. Everyhing for machiningbythebook.com would be published to your public_html/ directory.
              Did you go to CPanel and add the affiliates site as an add-on? If so it created a directory folder and anything relating to webworldaffiliates would be published to public_html/webworldaffiliates.com.
              Be sure to save these in separate files on your computer.

I don't see any need to worry about what you've already. Just publish your machining pages as above - and then publish your affiliates pages as above.
              Your links to machinging would be h t t p://w w w. machiningbythebook.com/pagename.html

Links to the affiliates would be h t t p:// w w w. webworldaffiliates.com/pagename.html

(do not put the spaces in the URL like I did on purpose)
              Take a deep breath and start publishing. You will have some files in the wrong directory but leave em there for now. Just don't link to them!
              Last edited by jcaywood; 03-20-2009, 10:02 PM. Reason: left comment out
              Jerry

Great Adult Gag Gifts

Comment

Thanks for trying to help. I tried what you said, but I still can't get anywhere. When I try to publish the index page to Webworldaffiliates it overwrites and publishes to Machiningbythebook. Then if I enter URl of Machiningbythebook, I get Webworldaffiliates webpages. This then requires me to republish the machiningbythebook index page which in turn overwrites the secondary webworldaffiliates page, leaving me back where I started.. with webworldaffiliates which I can't update or correct. If I could remedy this perhaps I could get the links to work. Regards, David. Do you know anyone that I could pay to check out my Files and straighten this out?

Comment

Well, when I go to http://www.machiningbythebook.com I get the home page for machiningbythebook - and when I go to http://www.webworldaffiliates.com I get the Webworldaffiliates home page which reads 'site under construction'.

I think you've just worked with it too long and need a break. There are some very intelligent people on here that really know their stuff. Maybe someone who can explain it better than me will jump in.
                  Jerry

Great Adult Gag Gifts

Comment

jcaywood,

i could use your help with a similar issue as this posting. do you have the time? my site www.tobodyandsoul.com is under construction. i've published pages linked together through nav. bar that doesn't connect them. each can be found on the web when i type in the .html suffix, but then they don't link together,a nd i can't see why, despite following tutorials. any ideas? thanks for your support... aaron

Comment

You should always start a new thread and not piggyback on another's thread. That being said, your links are to pages but not with the html extension.
                      Your Home link is to http://www.tobodyandsoul.com/index -it should read just http://www.tobodyandsoul.com
                      Your About page shows the html but there's a lot of other stuff that needs to be deleted. Should be http://www.tobodyandsoul.com/about.html
                      The other links just need to have the html extension added to the link. That is provded that your Biography page is named bio, and other pages are named as shown.
                      Jerry

Great Adult Gag Gifts

Comment

In your links, you've forgotten to put the extensions to your pages. Add the html part (such as www.tobodyandsoul.com/bio.html.)

Your about link has additional stuff added that needs to be removed.

EDIT: Oops--sorry, thought you might be elsewhere, Jerry.
                        CLAMcentral.com Children's Ministry resources
                        CLAMcentral's Projects Blog
                        CLAMbakeonline.com Family Fun

Comment

sorry, i guess i don't know how to start a new thread, first time in...

oh, i see what you're saying about the home link.

the about link opens from two hyperlinks placed in the homepage, but the nav bar "about" button doesn't work even though when i open the page in bluevoda and left click on it to go to "properties" of the page, i get the correct http://www.tobodyandsoul.com/about.html . If in bluevoda i right-click the nav bar, i get the menu of buttons and all of them read http://www.tobodyandsoul.com/various.html. somehow i'm missing a piece...

Comment

actually, tom, you may be right about not putting .html in my links, but if i right-click the nav bar, all the buttons have the .html after the /name. somewhere i'm not determining how to name the buttons. should i start a new nev. bar?

Comment

I believe you're making it too complicated. Your links would merely be your domain name than a slash and then the page name including extension Domain name is http://www.tobodyandsoul.com
                              Thus if you About page is named/saved as about the link would be

Tom, doesn't bother me any. When I need help I would rather have 2 people helping than none.
                              Jerry

Great Adult Gag Gifts

Comment

Working...
                              X