Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any tips to 'Jazz' up my site?

Hi Guys,

I wondered if anyone had any ideas or tips as my site is very plain dare I say boring.

I am afraid the subject matter is not the most jolly

I have got our workers taking photos on all the jobs they do so I can add more photos soon.

I Can't really afford decent software to make up Flashbox.

My creative juices are just not flowing...anyone got any tips?
    Diamond Drilling Contractors, Drilling Contractors Newbury, Drilling Contractors Berkshire, Drilling Contractors London, Drilling Contractors Oxford

Many thanks!

Janis
    Last edited by Hamster_tango; 04-02-2009, 08:02 PM. Reason: forgot link
    JanisH

www.ukdrillers.co.uk

Re: Any tips to 'Jazz' up my site?

Looks nice. I like the general layout and the colors.

Just a couple of things. In the list to the right of the photos Construction and Groundwork wrap the last one or two characters, looks strange.

The text in the upper right text box wraps strangely. Looks like you may have put some returns in the middle of a sentence.

Just my two pence.
    Bob

Age brings not wisdom, but perspective — It allows one to look back, with fond regret, on temptations resisted.

Comment

Janis, you know... simple is good, very good. Too many people try far too hard and it just turns out a mess in the end. Your site is nowhere near 'Boring' as you put it. In fact it's extremely nicely laid out. You need a few tweaks here and there, your top paragraph on the right hand side of the home page has a link going on in there somewhere? not sure what you've done there.

Dont worry about 'flashy sites' they don't work, no one is interested in a site that flashes, shouts, moves about, animates... very droll.

Stick to what you are doing. Personally I would love to see you remove the scrolling marquees, I think it cheapens your site.

You should be proud of what you have created there.
      Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

Mate, might be good if you could put up a nice logo to identify your site. You have the text logo but might be nice to add a bit image of a drill bit or anything in line with your trade. Best regards.

Demet

Comment

Hi Janis

I also totally agree that simple is good, and your site is great - it's clean with nice colours.

These are just a couple more thoughts on my personal view (definitely nothing that I think you need to do!) -

I was a little confused with what I thought was a menu in the middle of your page - it has the look of a menu but isn't clickable. (not hard to confuse me though lol)

I would probably take that off the homepage - and add each of these - Spe******t, Construction & Groundwork to your top menu, and then have a page for each that has more information. This would help with seo as well as you can target key terms for each page.

For an immediate 'grab' - it would be nice to feature something on your homepage. Whatever your main customer group is, you could do a feature that attracts their attention - this could be an excerpt of a case study:

eg.
          World record for depth of hole drilled through concrete!
          If you have ever driven over the Chiswick flyover you will be aware that it is four lanes wide plus two hard shoulders and central reservation, its amazing to think that a hole could be being drilled right beneath you whilst you drive over. Therefore it is easy to understand why other drilling firms may have declined the work until Laser Special Projects contacted UK Drillers
          READ MORE...

With a photo added to the excerpt, it could be a really interesting feature. I'm not interested in drilling concrete whatsoever - but your case study interested me! :)

Comment

Well thanks ever so much!
            This advice will help me so much in focusing my efforts.
            I had been aiming for 'simple and informative' but I had started to worry about it not being attention grabbing enough especially as our clients will see it and they have proffesionally created sites themselves. You have given me confidence in it again.

I will make some changes as suggested and I agree that the table list on the home page should definitley be reconsidered.

Thanks again for spending your time looking through it.

Janis
            JanisH

www.ukdrillers.co.uk

Comment

Working...
            X