My first website

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first website

This is my first website. I have to admit that it took my some time going through all the training videos and tutorials. In addition, I searched through this forum to get answers on a number of occasions. I still have much to learn. Thank you all in advance for any feedback.

www.attorneylosaltos.com

Re: My first website

Very nice John! Just 1 tiny thing & it happened to me so I know what to do, thanks to a famous General somewhere around here LOL!

When I go to any of your pages a 'tab' opens in my browser for each page - if you go to Page Properties make sure that 'Target' is left completely empty - nothing - no "_blank" - NOTHING!! That should take care of it........good luck
    david
    Never measure the height of the mountain you're climbing. At the summit, look back and see how small it really is!

Comment

Thank you David. I had done that two days ago but it's still opening up in a new window. Perhaps, I did that too recently for it to show it correctly. Happens less with Mozilla. Irritates me too. I must be doing something wrong.
      I really would like to get to work correctly because the next website I am doing has a lot more pages.
      Bea - John's underpaid, overworked admin commonly known as a wife.

Comment

Your pages are opening correctly now, but on your form you need to validate the fields. Click on the ones you want to require the user fill in before the form will submit. Right click on each one, one at a time, click properties, click the validate tab and choose what kind of info they can enter, also type in the error message they will receive in the pop up. You can also set the tab order by right clicking on each box in the order you want including the submit button and select bring to front. Save and republish
        Reguards
        Ed
        www.dsondesigns.com
        www.marseillesyouthsports.com
        www.300hitter.com
        www.bigjk.net
        How to add JAlbum to your site

Comment

Hi, sites looking very good. The only nit pick i could see, was this image wants reducing properly.
          Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

General Chris,
            Please explain further. I didn't understand your sentence at all. Thanks. Also, how do you set the clock on this forum?

Comment

Its only a small thing but the image is 690px × 785px @ 133kb & should be nearer 90x90 @ 5-10 kb. Its a bit like taking a piece of paper & squeezing it into a ball. It looks smaller, but still weighs the same. This is why it may take longer for the image to load quickly. Image reducer called pixresizer.
              Time Change:
              Top of the forum>user CP>settings & options>Edit options> Scroll down to date & time.
              Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Hi, John. Nice site you have there but if I have to be asked, here are some of the points I need to improve.

1. Font size, I still have quite 20/20 vision but it would be great to enlarge the font size of your content. For example if you used no.8 font, you could increase it to 10 or 12 for general viewing.
                2. You have small text on your menubars. I suppose those would require bigger font size than your content since it will allow your clients to navigate with ease.
                3. The logo in the left should be best without the white background, you could edit it in adobe photoshop to erase the white on the sides and save in psd format.

All in all you did well for a start. Mine is just a suggestion, best regards.

Demet

Comment

Thanks Chris & Flyer13,
                  The images download instantaneously when I check the published site on my computer, so I am was not aware of any delay; however, I will go back and resize the images to something considerably smaller. I had actually resized it extensively from the original photo.
                  As for font size - I personally would prefer to have larger fonts but I notice most professional looking websites use smaller fonts. Anyone else think the fonts are too small?
                  Bea (John's novice webmaster and wife).

Comment

General Chris,
                    Question on pixel size for photos for another website I am building.
                    I am keeping in mind your suggestions of keeping photos to 90x90 approximately to facilitate downloading. This website is a chronicle of a smaller remodeling project we just completed. There are a series of photos for front, living, dining, kitchen, etc. I am creating a page for each room with 6 to 9 photos per room. I am using the lightbox feature to allow the viewer to see the enlarge photos. Right now, my photos are 320x240 each. If I reduce the photos to 90x90 pixels each approximately, wouldn't the enlarge photos of each one be grainy? Should I publish what I have now, so forum members can review even though I have pages w/o the contents written yet?
                    Thank you Chris for your comments.

Comment

They wont be grainy they will only expand to 90 x 90, if you are using the light box (or just displaying images) you can still have larger ones as long as you reduce the kb's as that is what takes time to load (the actual file size). The light box will create thumb nails but if the file size is large they will take longer to load.
                      Reguards
                      Ed
                      www.dsondesigns.com
                      www.marseillesyouthsports.com
                      www.300hitter.com
                      www.bigjk.net
                      How to add JAlbum to your site

Comment

Unfortunately the light box is really only of any use for the odd 1 or two images on a page & not much good for a gallery. Is all this feature will do is take the larger image & make it look smaller without reducing the KB’s of the smaller image. So if page space wasn’t important, you could just place the original image on the page & it would actually load a little faster because you wouldn’t have the coding that comes with the light box.
                        Not quite so fancy, but the gallery feature works far better as this will reduce thumbnails if you remember to check the “Generate thumbnail image” box in the properties area.
                        As for images loading on your screen quickly, they will! As they will already in your machines cache & hasn't got to down load the image.
                        Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Working...
                        X