Please Review - Journey Of A Small Remodel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Review - Journey Of A Small Remodel

I am truly grateful to the generous sharing of information from all the forum contributors - especially Collector - Info, Lady-Eye, Darren C, flyer13, SChajin, D'son, Ahimsa & DavidandAlicia. Please forgive me if I have neglected to mention your username. I will make up for it in the future.

I read with care many of the long and detailed suggestions and I try to follow through the best I can. For example, I used Pixresizer to get my photos in download fighting shape 160x120. I even purchase Shozam's Web Gallery Wizard - it's a great program for generating photos albums - I have to figure out how to download my files - the instructions seem a bit complicated. Probably just my newbie insecurity kicking in. I did a cut and paste inside an iframe. The albums show up with IE but not Mozilla Firefox. I want everyone to know that their comments/suggestions are valued. I have much to learn.

This website details a remodel of a small home.

Because I am seeing double from having worked on this intensely over the last two weeks, two pages are "under construction". Please note the photo album link may be slowwww. That's the reason I created individual pages for the photographs. I am not sure which way to go. In addition, this is my first pass on the content. My husband has not had the time to review for spelling and grammar error. Spelling and grammar has never been my strong suit. I am a visual person - happiest looking at pictures, drawings all day. Perhaps, Ahimsai can provide some professional editing in exchange for ?. Need real estate advice - I am your gal.
    ID 33279

http://www.wiltonremodel.com photo album link may be slow.

Regards, B.

Re: Please Review - Journey Of A Small Remodel

Hi, sites looking fine. Would be nice with a standard photo gallery. The Shozam's should be fine & will do a nice job. I have the old version & i must admit it makes a lot of files to upload, but will still do a good job. Might be worth also reducing the header image to speed page loading up. But always interesting to see how projects go.
    Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Looking good B
      Sharon Chajin

Comment

Your doing a great job
        Happy Building

DarrenC

Comment

The site looks great but I was unable to get the slide show to show (using IE) you might think about turning the slide show into a Flash slide show. Here is a link to a free Flash slideshow program, I used it. Its simple works great and loads quickly (I loaded 113 pictures in it from our opening day ceremonies). The best part it works in all browsers.
          Reguards
          Ed
          www.dsondesigns.com
          www.marseillesyouthsports.com
          www.300hitter.com
          www.bigjk.net
          How to add JAlbum to your site

Comment

After I generate the gallery using Web Gallery Wizard and the gallery shows up on my browser. I had copy and paste the link below into an iframe on my page named www.wiltonremodel.com/photogallery.html (which I published) I am suppose to upload to BlueVoda. I have to go back and read up on the FTP upload settings. It makes sense when I watch the tutorial videos but not sure of what I doing on the "presets" on WGWizard - I'll check in with the forum on WGWizard. Since I had spent alot of time creating the albums (9 albums, 117 pictures 53.23 mb), I would like to figure out how to upload my files. I really like your Flash slideshow. The WGW creates a nice looking gallery. Will try you program, if I can't get this to work. Here's is the link generated when the gallery is created. Hope you all can open it.

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/HP_Administrator/My%20Documents/My%20Shozam%20Galleries/Wilton%20Remodel,%20Palo%20Alto%20-%20Photo%20Albums/index.htm

Comment

Has Shozam not got the ftp built in to it? Once it has been uploaded to your site you will have a link something like www.yoursite.com/shozam1/
              The 50+meg seams a terrific amount for 117 images for web page usage. A total of 28meg would give fantastic full page images & would quite likely get away with 14meg if the images are good quality.
              Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

The link at the bottom of your post is to the files in your computer not to any page on the web or your server for that matter. Most programs of this type need to be uploaded or published in the same manner, I have directions on how to publish albums using JAlbum but it should also (with a little bit of finagling) work for you. Click the link in my signature.
                Reguards
                Ed
                www.dsondesigns.com
                www.marseillesyouthsports.com
                www.300hitter.com
                www.bigjk.net
                How to add JAlbum to your site

Comment

Chris, I too thought the 53 mb was a bit much and this was after I had subsituted 160 x120 pixel photos for the original 320x240 photos (after reading your many comments on this) but the size was only reduced by 7 mbs - do you think it's the audio with each album? To get full size photos on the individual enlarged picture (not the slideshow) I would have to use 640x480 photos. I have a number of things to learn on Shozam - twitting a gallery and saving as a new gallery w/o it overwriting the first. Maybe I should create just a slideshow -because the slideshow photos are expanded to full size regardless of the original size of image. My original photos are 3264x2448. I must be doing something wrong.
                  I may have to switch over to Ed's flash slideshow maker. Oh well, just when I had learn how to use Web Gallery Wizard.

Comment

Originally posted by jrgolfmom View Post
                    Chris, I too thought the 53 mb was a bit much and this was after I had subsituted 160 x120 pixel photos for the original 320x240 photos (after reading your many comments on this) but the size was only reduced by 7 mbs - do you think it's the audio with each album? To get full size photos on the individual enlarged picture (not the slideshow) I would have to use 640x480 photos. I have a number of things to learn on Shozam - twitting a gallery and saving as a new gallery w/o it overwriting the first. Maybe I should create just a slideshow -because the slideshow photos are expanded to full size regardless of the original size of image. My original photos are 3264x2448. I must be doing something wrong.
                    I may have to switch over to Ed's flash slideshow maker. Oh well, just when I had learn how to use Web Gallery Wizard.
                    640x480 is usualy more than enough for a web page. If you have 3264x2448 most of it will be just wasted.
                    The music can defiantly up the KB side of things a lot, & i forgot that Shozam has this facility.
                    But with most image gallery's you should be able to get a page down to around 250kb with 15-20 thumbnails per page, with a popup or side show presenting real good quality 640x480 images at 100-250kb max.
                    Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Hi B,
                      Sorry but not enough time tonight to check All pages....will continue later if you like. So far, though:

HOME PAGE: "Quality of Improvements"

I would say bare-bones, not bared

(seems you have trouble remembering "d" on the end of some words? :) )
                      "It was determineD...."

TERMITE PLUMBING:

"If you have a question that needS...."

KITCHEN:

"......none of THE options...."
                      "....spills splasheS..." - not splasheD

BATH:

"....less bulky but would have provideD..."

WINDOWS:

"If possible,.....should be useD...."

DOORS:

1. "....not experienceD..."
                      6. "If you HAVE..." not 'had'

B U T......... looking real good, I would say
                      david
                      Never measure the height of the mountain you're climbing. At the summit, look back and see how small it really is!

Comment

OK, Bea....I'm back!!

FLOORING:
                        2. Underlayment. I would like, between "flooring" & "was selected", to see either 'which' or 'that'

LANDSCAPING:
                        "...number of plants....was KEPT...." Not 'keep'

GARAGE &:
                        Garage: "....value of ANY property." No 'the'

Patio: "...space dark and inviting." Is that right? LOL
                        "These locks.....do noT..."
                        "It IS better......"

Can't find anything else :)
                        Oh, BTW the photos all come up fine on my Firefox???

Good luck,
                        david
                        Never measure the height of the mountain you're climbing. At the summit, look back and see how small it really is!

Comment

Thank you, David.
                          I just made the changes and republished those pages. Need real estate advice, please contact me off line or if you are interested in providing professional editing services ...... ??

I am still having trouble with getting the slide show (w audio) to work; however, since the photo pages are working fine, a separate slide show may be redundant. Perhaps the file is just too big (around 53 mb). It appears that I have uploaded the Shozam files to my wiltonremodel subdirectory OK but nothing happens when I click on the link (on the published site). I suppose if I get stubborn, I can either submit a support ticket to Shozam or try the flash-slide maker that Ed recommended which looks more straight-forward than the Shozam slide show. If all else fails, I am going to take out the links to "photo gallery" (my link to the slide show) on all the pages and republish. I have also thought of purchasing a separate domain name just for the slide show - I can think of a few occasions for this use.

Peace to all mankind, our survival depends on it.
                          Regards to all.
                          B - mother of naval officer

Comment

Working...
                          X