Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please check this out

Hi all,

I am working on this site www.foxxchoirs.com and would appreciate any comments or suggestions. It is designed for my former students (I am a retired public school teacher) to give them opportunities to see pictures and hear music we sang over the years.

Please check especially the "El Dorado High" page and the first two "year" pages. I am trying to figure out how to put a music player on the site. Should I put one on each "year" page? I tried using the RealPlayer on the web builder but can't figure out how to put multiple songs on it. When I list more than one song the player always plays the last song only.

Also, I think I am going to need to put the year list on a seperate page so we can link back to it from any other page to select another year without having to go back through the first "El Dorado" page. Right?

Any other comments or suggestions at this point?

Jim Foxx

Re: Please check this out

Hi,

Very amatureish looking page.

Go to other similar websites and get some ideas.

Your layout is poor. Starters tend to use texts which are too large in size for their titles and headers.

The welcome bit is unnecessary.

Right click your photos and apply borders to your pics so that they will look framed.

A photo speaks a 1000 words but this saying does not apply to you. So add text contents to tell the viewer what your web site and page is all about.

Most pages will use a 10 point text and you need to write a whole lot more
    to fill the page.
    www.siapamoyanganda.com/
    Malaysian Family Tree Website From the
    State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Comment

Very cute, You might want to make it a little smaller..
      Sharon Chajin

Comment

Thanks for the insight Zuriatman. I will consider and revise. I appreciate your getting back to me so quickly. It's all a little new to me yet. I liked the look on the page, but understand about needing to inform viewers on the first page, and like the idea of the picture frames. Any suggestions for getting the songs to play?

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by SChajin View Post
          Very cute, You might want to make it a little smaller..
          In what terms? Font size, picture size?

Comment

think she means width :) , maybe changing the welcome area to the Note too box , menu could be smaller (the back drop of it) , the email me flash is alittle annoying but thats just me , and i do have to agree some of the text is to large. thats my 2 cents :)
            www.digitalenchant.com

Comment

Originally posted by Faeini View Post
              think she means width :) , maybe changing the welcome area to the Note too box , menu could be smaller (the back drop of it) , the email me flash is alittle annoying but thats just me , and i do have to agree some of the text is to large. thats my 2 cents :)
              Yea, one of my problems is I use a wide screen and when I go look at the page on another computer it does seem to go wide. I could make the menu smaller that way and will check on reajustng the text size. Thank you all for your thoughts.
              Jim

Comment

Hi,

A lot of us uses widescreen too. Do not maximize your screen instead minimize to the the size you want to design your page and keep it there.
                www.siapamoyanganda.com/
                Malaysian Family Tree Website From the
                State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Comment

In my opinion, it seems to me that your website sets out to do exactly what you wanted it to do. Nothing about it bothered me because I was viewing it as if I were one of your old students.

Your site is not meant for commercial purposes so the layout and feel of it serves the personal purpose you had in mind ... even with the larger font (okay, so maybe it could be a bit smaller) but I definitely wouldn't call it "amateurish" - especially compared to some of the other sites I've seen ;).

That's just my honest opinion. Keep working on the site to get your music added and I'm sure once you're done, it'll be a great site to serve the purpose for you and your students.
                  Yusheeka Davis - Credit Report and Score Expert Providing Free Credit Report Audits
                  http://www.start-fresh-credit.com

Comment

Originally posted by SFCRA View Post
                    In my opinion, it seems to me that your website sets out to do exactly what you wanted it to do. Nothing about it bothered me because I was viewing it as if I were one of your old students.

Your site is not meant for commercial purposes so the layout and feel of it serves the personal purpose you had in mind ... even with the larger font (okay, so maybe it could be a bit smaller) but I definitely wouldn't call it "amateurish" - especially compared to some of the other sites I've seen ;).

That's just my honest opinion. Keep working on the site to get your music added and I'm sure once you're done, it'll be a great site to serve the purpose for you and your students.
                    Thank you. That is very encouraging. I will continue to tweek it.

Comment

Originally posted by zuriatman View Post
                      Hi,

A lot of us uses widescreen too. Do not maximize your screen instead minimize to the the size you want to design your page and keep it there.
                      I have to assume that most of my older students (twenty years ago or more) will use smaller screens so I am setting it back at 1000 like you suggested. At least that way I know everyone will get to see all of it without having to do a lot of scrolling side to side. Thanks. Jim

Comment

Hey Jim,

It looks like your trying your hand at doing something new. You are doing a good job but I have some tweak suggestions for you.

* I think centering your pages would look better by right clicking a open spot or find page setup in your menu.

* I honestly think using a bright red for "Welcome" highly Contrasts the color scheme and for many people is a turn off. Usually that color of red is used for some sort of alarm or problem or like when you were in school and you got a big red "X" for making a mistake. I suggest changing it to a nice golden yellow color to compliment the blue.

* I suggest making that letter to your students smaller and placing it to the right of "Welcome and your picture" this way people can look at your picture while reading, it's a better layout placement and people can read it as soon as they enter the page without scrolling down.

Keeping things compact but nice and neat is pleasing for viewers, people don't like scrolling.

I hope some of this will help! You're off to a great start, keep it up!
                        Best Regards,

Robert A. Kerr

Comment

Originally posted by Hylith View Post
                          Hey Jim,

It looks like your trying your hand at doing something new. You are doing a good job but I have some tweak suggestions for you.

* I think centering your pages would look better by right clicking a open spot or find page setup in your menu.

* I honestly think using a bright red for "Welcome" highly Contrasts the color scheme and for many people is a turn off. Usually that color of red is used for some sort of alarm or problem or like when you were in school and you got a big red "X" for making a mistake. I suggest changing it to a nice golden yellow color to compliment the blue.

* I suggest making that letter to your students smaller and placing it to the right of "Welcome and your picture" this way people can look at your picture while reading, it's a better layout placement and people can read it as soon as they enter the page without scrolling down.

Keeping things compact but nice and neat is pleasing for viewers, people don't like scrolling.

I hope some of this will help! You're off to a great start, keep it up!
                          Wow, some great suggestions. I work on those and see how it works. Thanks for your interest and support. I am getting some good ideas even if I don't use them all. But, two heads are better than one they say and "collaboration" is the educational buzz word right now I'm told. Thanks again. Jim

Comment

Working...
                          X