Gedcom Import

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gedcom Import

I am wanting to build a new genealogy website by importing my PAF genealogy file into it.
    Could someone tell me if I can do this, if so how.
    I probably will be using a template. If you know where I can locate a genealogy template, please let me know.
    I'm so busy with my genealogy, I just want to KISS.

Thank you,

km5tq
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    www.jewelsheritage.net
    Cunningham-Staggs-Brown-Moore-Bristow-Jackson..just a few I'm researching

Re: Gedcom Import

You cant use scripts as all Gedcom files are generated by a genealogy software.

You will need to buy a software like ancestry or similar to import and then only can you generate html files.

Gedcom files need to be checked for accuracy once imported.
    www.siapamoyanganda.com/
    Malaysian Family Tree Website From the
    State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Comment

Thank you.
      I'm not sure I understand, though. PAF is a genealogy program that allows you to enter your genealogical data. It has the capabilities of importing and exporting files. The files that are exported are generated as gedcoms.
      Not sure what you mean by purchasing another program to use for the importing into BlueVoda.

Again, thank you,
      km5tq
      GOD BLESS AMERICA!
      www.jewelsheritage.net

Comment

Hi,

What I can understand from your post is that you already have a genealogy software [PAF] which you had generated a Gedcome file for export.

Gedcome files [are universal] can be imported from one software to another type or brand of genealogy software.

You can upload your Gedcom files to your server on the web but you cant open it unless you have an [internet] online PAF or any other online genealogy software.

Having said that.

What you need to find out whether PAF has the option to generate "html"
        family tree for upload to the web. [Most good software has the option]

If it can export html pages to the web then I may be able to show you how to put your family tree online.
        www.siapamoyanganda.com/
        State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Comment

Hi,
          Thanks for replying. I will need to check on whether PAF will export in html, but I really don't think it will. It only generates gedcoms for exporting to another genealogy program.
          I think I do have a program I downloaded some time ago that does generate html from gedcoms.
          I need to figure out how to do that.

km5tq
          GOD BLESS AMERICA!
          www.jewelsheritage.net

Comment

I have located a few programs online that do generate html from gedcoms.
            I just don't know how to import the html into my web pages.
            Hope someone can help me with this.

Thank you
            km5tq
            GOD BLESS AMERICA!
            www.jewelsheritage.net

Comment

Hi,

First open anew folder in C:/MyDocuments\BlueVoda

Name it Webpages or html pages or whatever you like.

Use your Family tree software and generate your html fies and save them in the above folder.

Open BV

Setup your page design

Select the Html tag on the top left tool bar.

Drag open a html box and place it in the center of page.

Double click the center of the Html box and then select import.

Goto the folder you created and saved your html file and an select just the "index" file.

Then preview your page.

Goto public_html and creat a new folder and name it familytree.

This where you have to publish your page to.

Open you FTP and upload the rest of all the Html files generated to the family tree folder.
              www.siapamoyanganda.com/
              State of Johor.

Comment

Thank you so much! Excellent instructions!
                Now if I can just do it...smile
                I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.
                km5tq
                GOD BLESS AMERICA!
                www.jewelsheritage.net

Comment

Hi,

I understand the instructions you gave, but now I'm having problems with the formatting of the html pages.
                  The pages are fine until I preview in BV, then the formatting is all aligned on the left side.
                  I hope I don't have to go into the html code and change it.
                  I have no idea on how to do that.

Also, do I need to create a web page for each page in the html pages? The lay outs are different in each page.
                  km5tq
                  GOD BLESS AMERICA!
                  www.jewelsheritage.net

Comment

Just resize the html box to suit your page.

You can position it to suit your BV page design.

You must also select the background properties and select "Center in Browser" this will align your webpages to the center of the viewing screen.
                    www.siapamoyanganda.com/
                    State of Johor.

Comment

"Also, do I need to create a web page for each page in the html pages? The lay outs are different in each page"

You can only design the landing page with a hyperlink to the family tree with BV.

The rest of the family tree settings was generated by the familytree program.

All the settings has to be done from the program before the tree was generated.

Id photos and galleries has to be done and prepared in the familytree software program, otherwise they will not link properly.
                      www.siapamoyanganda.com/
                      State of Johor.

Comment

I think I understand all of this,but will have to see how it goes once my new site is registered. I can only view my pages in a browser at this point.

Do I understand that if I create a landing page with a background that will blend in with my main page that all of the PAF pages will be generated like the landing page?

I sure appreciate your help so much.

km5tq
                        GOD BLESS AMERICA!
                        www.jewelsheritage.net

Comment

Working...
                        X