Migrating BlueVoda from XP to Vista

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migrating BlueVoda from XP to Vista

I have been using BV installed on a laptop running XP.

When I install BV on my new laptop running Vista, and then copy my files from the old directories on the old laptop to the new one, all of the image links are broken.

I could just update the links manually, but I literally have several hundred.

Is there an easier way??

Adrian
    Adrian
    A-B Technology Group

Re: Migrating BlueVoda from XP to Vista

Hi Adrian,
    This question has come up before....here are 2 replies from our Generals:

In order for BV to find the images, they must be on the exact same path on both computers. Grab all the images from the first computer, take note of the exact path and create that same path on the new computer. This applies to all files used for your website. You may have to actually install BV on the second computer rather than copy; I'm not sure...courtesy Tom Finley

The images and site files reside in MY DOCUMENTS.. not in the Bv program file itself. You will need to locate this folder and restore it on the new computer in the EXACT location that it resided before.. else you will have to RE insert all images and RE save all the pages.....courtesy Karen Mac

hope they help...
    david
    Never measure the height of the mountain you're climbing. At the summit, look back and see how small it really is!

Comment

The file structures of XP and Vista are quite different:

Vista: Users/Username/Documents/BlueVoda//

XP: Documents and settings/Username/My Documents/BlueVoda//

Im not even sure Vista will let me create an "XP" format path.

Anyone else migrated to Vista from XP and found a way to use the files without renaming all the links??

Adrian
      Adrian
      A-B Technology Group

Comment

This was one of the very few things that irritated me about Blue Voda (which is in my opinion an otherwise perfect builder). I used my laptop to get my site up and running and then found that if I tried to work on it from any other computer in the house the image links were broken. To get around it, I bought a small external drive for my images and music and redid each page loading the images from the external drive to the computer. Now I can work on any computer in the house with blue voda installed on it. I just plug in the external drive to do this.
        When I got a new laptop I took my entire Blue Voda folder from my documents on the old computer, temporarily dropped it to the external drive, plugged that into the new computer and dropped it into my documents on the new computer. I opened Blue Voda up and there it was ready to go and with no broken image links.
        Hope this helps.
        Melissa
        Taja Siberians
        http://TajaSiberians.net

Comment

Working...
        X