contact page w/ form not showing up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• contact page w/ form not showing up

Please provide me with questions or thoughts to my dilemma.

I am building a website for my boss. The link is http://www.progresslanguage.com

At the moment I only have three pages:

PROBLEM:
    My contact page, which has a form from scratch on it, does not show up at all from my links, and the www states:
    "Not Found The requested URL /contact.php was not found on this server.
    Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."

I linked all menus accordingly, as the posts stated (i.e. properties, buttons, fixed menus, etc.)

I input all the info as the posts have stated and I have completely run out of ideas. I am pretty sure I have viewed all the tutorials and related posts several times over, but I am simply not seeing the solution. Forgive my oversight and ignorance, but I wish someone could look into this and lend me a hand.

I can provide any info requested since my "fixes" have been too numerous to mention.

Thank you kindly.

John (member)
    Domain Name: progresslanguage.com

Re: contact page w/ form not showing up

You capitalized it.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Thank you, Karen. I was unable to locate the capitalized version of my contact page in order to make it small case:

So, I simply capitalized all the URLS throughout my site to the capitalized version:

It is a minor nuisance until I can figure out how to lasso the capitalized version from my files and change or delete it and make all my URLs uniform.

Any ideas would be helpful, with the focus being on not being able to locate the former URL anywhere.

Thanks for your spot on call out, and you sure do have an eagle-eye. At least I got indoctrinated into the world of BV movies and forum feedback.

John

Comment

Login to your cpanel, file manager, navigate to the public html and there you can delete all files you no longer wish to keep

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        1-302-283-3777 North America / International
        02036089024 / United Kingdom
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Thank you, Karen. At present, my External Control Panel's "/public_html" is empty. One of the methods I used (out of ignorant desperation) was to go in and delete all the sub-folders in that file. I figured that that one may be the root cause. I hope that won't come back to haunt me.

Is there a link to a comprehensive BV Control Panel tutorial or manual that will break down the individual areas of the CP and explain the ins and outs?

Specifically, I am describing interacting with the actual files for each individual website that get used on the www and stored in the CP just for that purpose. This would be helpful in preventative maintenance, managing and screening, and gleaning out any files not being used for the actual website.

Thus far, through my searches, I have only come across smatterings of this subject, and apparently without this being directly addressed. But, then again, I may be missing something altogether.

Thanks again for lending a hand.

In regards to the above, an offhand question I would very much appreciate having answered is this:

Much like my own hard drive here in my room
          [C:\Documents and Settings\Webmaster\My Documents\BlueVoda], is my External Control Panel's "/public_html" file simply an external storage facility that does not affect my actual website, whether or not I add or delete items within it (In other words "just a convenient way to backup and store integral components for the actual website being placed on the www".)?

I know that my BV files on my hard drive must be reflective of my website, otherwise my website goes haywire if any files go missing or get re-formatted from my hard drive.

And, on that note, is there a way to take the responsibility off of my hard drive BV files, and transfer the website content into my external control panel so that I can free up space on my own PC and simply update final submissions to my external control panel when I add, change or delete items for my website?

These queries are based on what I know now (so, I may be way off target until put back on track), and yet I hope to have my knowledge reconfigured to be optimized for accurate and perfect functions within BV. This can be accomplished from the fine feedback from people such as you, and it is very much appreciated.

Thank you, again for your time and consideration.
          Last edited by John K.; 06-23-2009, 04:44 AM. Reason: Another thought to add

Comment

One quick tid bit...I too created a form on one of my pages and I couldn't get the form to show up and work. Someone here on the forums told me to change the extension to .php instead of .html and it worked. Just make sure you rename all of your links that point to that page so that the links also show the .php file extension. Good luck!
            Jeff Peterson
            Profit and Las Vegas Bookkeeping, LLC
            702.405.9912 - Office
            866.835.9912 - Fax
            jeff@profitandlasvegas.com
            www.profitandlasvegas.com

Comment

P&L, thank you kindly for your input.

Yes! I have found the cure after extensive research that simply boils down to typing in the EXACT characters and information EXACTLY and the same for each page.

As it turns out, my error was that my contact page was saved into my hard drive BV file as Contact.bvp instead of contact.bvp.

That's it!!!

Something as simple as tripping over the first pebble and setting off the tumble that eventually busts your brain.

To correct this minor oversight that carries a major impact, I will be doing a personal step-by-step for each and every one of my processes until I have a comprehensive manual written in my language that (of course) I understand best.

So often good-hearted people try to help out with the way they see things, but it really is much better once we, ourselves, grasp the juxtaposition of the matter and put it in our own words. Knowing is one thing - but explaining in a manner that makes the info accessible to to the individual needing the information can sometimes difficult and time consuming.

Personally, I do not know how the BV team here keeps from going insane sometimes, LOL. But at the end of the day, they are champs and leave the competition way in the dust.

Hey! Have a gander at my website I am working on, if it is OK to publish it here. I will formally put it in the critique thread in a few days. This is simply to view and enjoy! I hope I am not breaking any rules by putting it here. Otherwise please delete it and let me know so I do not do it again.

Cheers, John

Comment

John,

Your flash intro was AWESOME!!!!!!!! How in the world did you do that? I'd like to add some flash to my site as well but have no idea how you did that. There is a gentleman here in the forums helping me with a little fade in and out thing. What you did looks like a pro did it and you paid big money for it. Nice job!
                Jeff Peterson
                Profit and Las Vegas Bookkeeping, LLC
                702.405.9912 - Office
                866.835.9912 - Fax
                jeff@profitandlasvegas.com
                www.profitandlasvegas.com

Comment

Thank you for the compliment! I used Flash 4D. It was quite easy to install using the BV tutes.

Now I only wish that installing my Sothink Menu were as easy. I am going to post a thread in the appropriate forum in a few days after I exhaust all my options and second guess the suggestions [chuckle]. HTML is going to be a bit difficult, but the options it opens up after understanding how to decipher the lingo will be great!

Regards!

Comment

Working...
                  X