Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding Database to Soholaunch site

username: snbuzcnd
    How would I add my products to a site I've created in soholaunch in multiple pages as there are many items? Can I create a database and import it in some way?
    thanks, Steve K

Re: Adding Database to Soholaunch site

Go to the shopping icon and create your categories.. and add one product to be listed in each category.

now go to the database tables and download the products table and the category table.

Now import these to excel and you can see how to format your database and import it back to the store.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

I downloaded as you said but the file is full of semicolons and very hard to figure out. Am I doing something wrong?

Comment

Yes.. you import it to Excel as a data file. That seperates it to columns etc.

you must have a working knowledge of databases, and excel spreadsheets to do this.

Also see the soholaunch online manual for more details.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Originally posted by stevek View Post
          I downloaded as you said but the file is full of semicolons and very hard to figure out. Am I doing something wrong?

I had the exact problem and found this and was able to open and view the data. It is very easy once you understand but very difficult until you understand and you are not alone.

Follow these exact steps and you will be fine.

Open Excel to a blank worksheet Select DATA -> GET EXTERNAL DATA -> IMPORT TEXT FILE... Select the name of the CSV file you downloaded from the system. (Note: You may have to set windows to look for CSV files) Follow the on-screen wizard and set your "delimiter" to a "Semi-Colon" (;) Once import is complete, you can save your data as an XLS file or some other format for your use.

Comment

I have a question about once the data is open and on Excel.

There are columns for SUB_CAT1, VARIANT_NAME1 and VARIANT_PRICE1

But there are only six columns for each. Is there a way to add more as I have some products that have as many as 20 variations?

Comment

Yes you can add more in the shopping cart icon for those that need them.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
              291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

I am putting real effort in trying to learn but have hit a stumbling block.

It seems that once I have the data table open its is straight forward on loading my data until I get to subs or variables.

The columns have SUB_CAT1, VARIANT_NAME1 and VARIANT_PRICE1 which looks like I would just type in my information and Im done. Except none of the products that I loaded manually that use these have any data there.

But farther to the right on the spread sheet there is sub_cats, variant_names and variant_prices which is full of data but in some kind of code that looks hard to learn.

When using a spread sheet to load products which column do you use for the subs and variants?

I cant believe that the form would be so easy until you get there and then need code so does it convert it for you after you load it back online or do you have to use that code to use subs and variants?

I am trying to explain this correct so please forgive me if I have not.

Comment

yes it converts once you reload it.. or it should...i havent tried with that many variants..again.. go put that many on a product and redownload the database and you will see where it adds them.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                  291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Originally posted by Karen Mac View Post
                    yes it converts once you reload it.. or it should...i havent tried with that many variants..again.. go put that many on a product and redownload the database and you will see where it adds them.

Karen
                    Thank you, To Be Continued....

Comment

Glad I found this thread, I have some questions about databases in Soholaunch (even after watching a lot of the Soho video tutorials):

1) Does Soho automatically create the mySQL database(s) for me--I hope so--or do I need to create database(s) before creating tables in Soho?

2) Will all the tables I create in Soho "reside" on a single mySQL database? If not, why not?

3) Are all purchases made on my (Soho-based) site automatically recorded in a database, or do I need to create a database to make that happen?

4) Instead of selling physical products, my site will sell a recurring service provided on-site at the customer's business. What's the best way for me to enable these customers to do the following on my (Soho-based) site:

a) create an account for themselves (if possible, rather than me creating it for them)

b) request one or more dates on which the service would be provided, and the specifics of what's to be done (each specific service could be listed as a "product")

c) view their history of purchases, including dates when the service was provided, specific services provided, and the $ amount billed for that day's work done.

d) change or cancel an "order" for service that they previously placed on the site (and have the change e-mailed to the same address the initial request was, based on customer's state).

5) Once a customer places an order, can I make the notification e-mail (not the customer receipt, but a notification to my company) about that order go to a particular e-mail address based on the state where the customer lives?

Hope I'm not asking too much here . . . THANK YOU!

Comment

1. yes
                        2. you dont create the tables.. but.. you can.. usually also done for you
                        3. yes.. it is already set to do this
                        4. a. membership auto registration addon is available for this.
                        4b. Yes you can add a form to the product that requires additional info..such as this.
                        4c. you would have to create this table for their membership.. but it could be done or you could have it done.
                        4d... canceling would be a manual process..
                        5. You get notification to an email.. but its for all orders.. it would take customizing to get it specified by address

Also... rebilling is done thru your payment processor and not the sitebuildr itself... so if you were also billing more than once or billing monthly...you would in most cases have to STOP this manually.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Karen, thanks so much for your prompt reply! Some followup questions/comments, which more or less correspond to my earlier ones:

1 and 2: I'm VERY glad to see I don't have to create mySQL databases, or even tables! I assume that for most of my site needs, it's better to let Soho create the tables for you?

3. How would I access the database that automatically records purchases made on my site?

4a. How can I get the membership auto registration addon that you mentioned? Is that a piece of HTML code?

4b. Cool

4c. Would I create that table using the Table Manager tool (is that the right name of it?) on the Soho control panel?

4d. By "manual" process do you mean I (or an authorized individual) would have to log into one of my Site Data Tables and delete or modify the order? No biggie to do once in awhile, just wondering.

5. Any idea what tool(s) I'd need to get a copy of the order sent to an e-mail address based on the customer's location (such as zip code)?

THANK YOU, again!

Comment

1, 2 yes..
                            3. Its called view orders..
                            4. its an addon at addons.soholaunch.com
                            4c.. yes
                            4d. yes or login to your cc processor
                            5... the email goes to the customer as a reciept automatically when they purchase.. if you mean a paper reciept then.. youd have to generate this yourself.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Excellent, thanks for all that, Karen. Re #5: What I mean is, if the customer placing the order is in Cleveland, OH, is it possible (and if so, what tool do I use) to have a copy of that order automatically e-mailed to:

- the company's primary e-mail address, as entered by the webmaster (easy to do)
                              - an e-mail address for my company's Cleveland office (or a manager in charge of Cleveland-area accounts)

These e-mails would be in addition to the receipt that's automatically e-mailed to the cust.

THANKS!

Comment

Working...
                              X