Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linking index/home page please help me???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linking index/home page please help me???

This is www.fitness-nutrition-online.com and I have a little question for you.When you make a index page is that the same as home page or do I have to make a home page and a index so as when I make a menu bar and I put in the button to click back to home would that be the index page or does there have to be a home page to actually click to?Am I making sense here?

Re: Linking index/home page please help me???

hi babybudd,

Index page and home page are traditionally the same.

However, you can call index page anything you want.

Historically, HOME links to the index page.

When you click on Home, people expect to see the very first
    page and that is index page.

To not let visitors get lost, you should have Home
    linking to the index page on all your pages
    so visitors can always get back to the "beginning" of your website.

An index page is most often an introductory gate to your website.

Name it Home. By tradition.

Shafi
    Doable Personal Finance

Comment

Hi thank-you for responding to my question but could you give an example for instance when you edit the menu bar in blue voda web builder would you put it like this http://www.fitness-nutrition-online.com/index.html or would that be http://www.fitness-nutrition online.com/home.html or http:www.fitness-nutriton.com when you edit the buttons in the menu bar?Or do you have to make an index page for all the pages in your site like for the contact page to receive back home I am just not getting it,can you help me?Am I thinking this all wrong?(I am just another newbie,sorry and thank-you)

Comment

It would be the link with index.html

On the menu, call it Home.

www.fitness-nutriton.com/
        www.fitness-nutriton.com/index.html

are the same.

The www.fitness-nutriton.com/ by default will look for index file.

for Home www.fitness-nutriton.com/index.html is
        just fine.

Don't use home.html because that would be confusing.

It's a good practice to add "/" without the quotes
        at the end but not with dot html file. The "/" tells
        the browser to not look further.

So you can use http://www.fitness-nutriton.com/ with the slash
        but when you use http://www.fitness-nutriton.com/index.html
        don't use a "/" after the file name or with any other file for that matter.

Shafi
        Doable Personal Finance

Comment

Oh man your awesome thank for the step by step instructions your good,all cleared up,thank you,thank you,thank you.Maybe you could help with another question.I made a BAAADDD mistake I saved all my pages with the .bvp not the .html at the end like for example I went contact.bvp instead of contact.html so I tried to rename it and it vanished did this twice to different pages got scared stopped went back to the saved files in the blue voda builder typed out contact.html it opened it was there,now the question is is this fine will it still work online once I publish them?I have another 5 pages to rename and I am scared to do so to much work involved if I am doing it wrong can you please help me again?
          A very grateful,LaDelle

Comment

Let me see if I understood you correctly.

When you open a brand new page - that's with the white background,
            after you enter your content and now you are about to save it,
            You click File/Save Page As. It asks you for a name of the file.

Just name the file but with no extension of any kind.

Like for example, index file is saved as index. That's it, no extension, no nothing. What BV does it, it adds the extension bvp. So the index file becomes index.bvp. No html or anything else. And that's how the file is saved on your computer - index.bvp.

Before you publish it, click right button on your mouse outside your content area and click on Page Properties. A window appears where at one place you would see File extension.

Two options BV gives you
            You want to publish with html extension or php. By default, it is set for html. So when you publish your page, BV converts the index.bvp to index.html and that's what you see on the server and that's what you link to.

What I do is so very often in a day, if I am working heavily on pages, I keep copying the bvp files from the current directory to an "archive" directory.

When I create index file - remember with no extension - and I want to try out something extra in the index file just to see how it looks, I save index file as, say, index-test. If I like what I see, then I save it back as index. And that becomes my "permanent" file until of course I make more changes in it.

Like I said in the beginning, this description is valid only if I understood you correctly.

P.S. BV sees only files with bvp extension. So if you have changed the extension to html, change it back to bvp. Changing the extension outside the BV application does not change the contents inside the file.

So you should be all set. Just create an "archive" kind of directory and save all files in it by copying from the "current or working" directory.
            Doable Personal Finance

Comment

Hi I hope I am not bothering you much or making you mad,But this is my question, okay when I open up an existing page I had saved the contact page as contact.bvp, purchase.bvp, food-plan.bvp and the rest of my pages,now and went and renamed all of the pages except for the index(the default page) page I left that as it was I just changed the sub pages- contact.bvp to contact.html ect. with all the other pages(So that they link together) but when I go back into open an existing page they still are as contact.bvp until I type in the open contact.html it opens so I have 2 saved files on each page except the index of coarse because I didn't resave that one is this good or bad?Did I make sense?LaDelle

Comment

That means I don't understand your question.

Like I said previously, when BV opens an existing file, it only sees the files with extension bvp. That's the default setup.

So, except the index file, you have two of each file with extensions bvp and html. If each pair has exactly the same content and/or data, then I would just delete the files with extension html.

In order to be able to see a non bvp file, BV should be given the selection of Files of type as All files(*).

The default mode, for obvious reasons, is Files of type as bvp.

So that's why you don't see html files because the default is bvp. You have to change the Files of type to All Files(*) in order for BV to see all other types of files.

Before you delete anything, I suggest you create something like an "archive" directory, Copy all files from your "working" directory over to the new one.

When you open contact.bvp and contact.html. Are they exactly the same? Do you see exactly the same content on the screen. If you do, then in another window, go over to the working directory and delete the html files.
                Doable Personal Finance

Comment

Hi there you are a great help and thank you very much for your help,have another question for you(is that groaning I hear in the background?)when I go into blue voda and go into open an existing page I only see the .bvp files so I type out the ones I saved as .html they appear but I can't delete them will this be a problem if I use the .bvp files and just published the .bvp files without worrying about finding the invisible .html files?

Comment

Hi

Like I mentioned before, BV must have files with bvp extension. When you publish them, BV goes through its own process - God knows what - and converts your bvp files into files with either HTML or PHP extension.

The end product that you see on the server and in turn by the browser when someone downloads your website, for BV, are either with PHP or HTML extension.

BV goes through the conversion process because files generated with BV with its own extension are proprietary only to BlueVoda website builder editor. BV must do the conversion to php or html because downloading a web page with format of bvp would almost be impossible for the browser to display your website.

Now how does BV know about to convert the bvp file into html or php. Well you have to set up for that. Click right button on your mouse outside your content page on a blank spot, click on Page Properties and look for File extension in the window. The default is html. You can change it to php if you want but it would depend on your application. Most folks use html extension.

If your html and bvp are the same - I mean exactly the same in content - then you can open another window - I mean the good old Bill Gates window, find where your BV files are located and delete html files. I repeat if the respective bvp and html files are exactly the same in content.

At least that's how I understand it. Perceptions are quite different among humans.
                    Doable Personal Finance

Comment

Thank-you for your help Shafi you are totally awesome.
                      grateful,LaDelle

Comment

wy AFter reading all that ANd just to know that I linked my pages wrong man that's no help for me my home page is linked www.blank.com/home.html Sorry not putting the real in here so And I don't have a link to the home on everypage just one or a few lol.
                        Sincerly Leescatnet

Comment

With the downloaded version of bluevoda, can I use the hiperlink feature?

Comment

LaDelle (babybudd) apparently had a problem with files.
                            Maybe Ladelle was not serious about it and in reality he
                            didn't have any problem with files. Regardless, I tried to explain.
                            Nobody has the ability to know whether others are kidding or not.
                            I sure don't.

I think that's what the forum is for, this or any other.
                            You ask a question, others try to answer. If anyone - leescatnet -
                            got offended by it, I apologize.

Looking at Enrique's question above, I think Enrique knows
                            the answer. Now I think Enrique is kidding.
                            Doable Personal Finance

Comment

I think baby budd needs to do the tutorials and ask LESS questions.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                              1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                              02036089024 / United Kingdom
                              291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Working...
                              X