Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transferring my work to a new PC

Hi

I have bought a new PC and obviously need to transfer my BV work to it. However, I have been reading a few posts regarding this issue but there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer, neither does there seem to be a simple solution. I would have thought this was something that BV would have planned for.

I transferred all my data including my Bv files onto an external hard drive, I downloaded BV websiter on my new PC, transferred all my data onto the new PC but when I try to open the BV files I get an error message.

Please can anyone give advise me on what to do? I assumed that this would have been a very straightforward procedure in view of the fact that people are upgrading their PC's every few years.

Many thanks

Re: Transferring my work to a new PC

You have to move them to the same PATH as what displays on the old computer. The alternative is to RESAVE them all to the external drive and then make sure the drive is named the same on both computers.. that way BV will find them.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

I don't know if you have solved the problem or not.

But for me, it is easier to copy bluevoda directory
      over to the new medium. That, by default, includes all images, all sub-directories with all bvp files.

First I find where bluevoda is sitting on the old medium.
      On my computer, it is sitting in Document folder.

I make sure that bluevoda directory gets the same fresh environment
      as on the old computer.
      Doable Personal Finance

Comment

Originally posted by wysiwyg4 View Post
        I don't know if you have solved the problem or not.

But for me, it is easier to copy bluevoda directory
        over to the new medium. That, by default, includes all images, all sub-directories with all bvp files.

First I find where bluevoda is sitting on the old medium.
        On my computer, it is sitting in Document folder.

I make sure that bluevoda directory gets the same fresh environment
        as on the old computer.
        Thanks for the added verbage. I think thats what i said NO? Or is there an echo in here.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

No Karen. There is no echo here.

But sometimes, you try to put all the oceans of the world
          in one small cup that folks like us don't understand.
          Doable Personal Finance

Comment

Then LET THEM ASK if they dont understand. Then add your two cents..

Thank you!

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Many thanks to both of you for your replies. I don't want to upset the ***** cart but I'm still not 100% sure, but I will do what I think you have suggested and see.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by wysiwyg4 View Post
                No Karen. There is no echo here.

But sometimes, you try to put all the oceans of the world
                in one small cup that folks like us don't understand.
                Shafi,

If you want to reply to any post you are free to do so in the manner and way you want it presented in the post. That is your privlidge.

BUT, dont try to tutor a 5 star General with over 7000 post.

What you echoed was exactly what Karen Mac advised.
                www.siapamoyanganda.com/
                Malaysian Family Tree Website From the
                State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Comment

Ok, not 2 add my 2 cents here, but I have a question regarding the above question.

This question has been asked and answered serveral times, but no one has ever comented on how to avoid loosing the link between the images and their respective image file in BV.
                  I recently had my harddisk swapped out on my laptop. All programs reside in "Program Files" dir. and BV is in the "Documents" dir. When I started the program I had to go and redo all image links; lightboxes, galleries, etc.

I asked the question on how to avoid this and I believe that David told me to use the sitemap feature. At the time this made no sense & I cound not figure out how to do this. Knowing what I know about sitemap know, it makes even less sense.

So, is there a way to avoid this from happening?

Travlinman

AguycanBeach.com
                  Aguycanbeachhostel
                  Comunidad Aguycan Beach

A great must do for all beginners by Lincslady

Comment

I dont use the sitemap feature, but.. If the location of all the files are the same including the images.. I havent had to link the images. I did however have to create a MYDOCUMENTS folder outside the users folder to not lose the links when i went from xp to vista. The file path and location has to be exactly the same.

If you have a flash or external drive and you change your save location to this external drive and make sure you always use the same drive letter from computer to computer .. for instance .. drive G or something... you wont have this issue ever..

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Originally posted by Karen Mac View Post
                      ....I did however have to create a MYDOCUMENTS folder outside the users folder to not lose the links when i went from xp to vista.

Karen
                      not sure I exactly understand that part but I am past that part now; although I may revert back to XP

....well cross that bridge when I get there.

Travlinman

AguycanBeach.com
                      Aguycanbeachhostel
                      Comunidad Aguycan Beach

A great must do for all beginners by Lincslady

Comment

In xp you simply had a mydocuments folder not under a user name. c:\\my documents\bluevoda

In vista you have c:\\Users\Karen\My Documents\Bluevoda\

so i simply created a my documents folder in the general drive like it was before the crossover to vista and its penchant for having to use the USERS profile. And.. i didnt LOSE any links to images.

Theres a little usb to usb tool that will do this for you automatically found at most computer centers in stores.. i forget the name of it, but it has a little hard drive in the middle made just for transferring files from one computer and another and it works great for creating directories and moving your files etc kinda like an ftp client. Its about $35 bucks and its saved me more time than you can imagine. It powers on thru the computer no muss no fuss. Its called the USB Thunder.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Hello Karen, I posted the same question yesterday, but it was in the wrong forum. So sorry (it was in the review forum-I didn't realize it). So here goes again. I copied my BV folder, complete with all images in the 'image folder',within the BV folder which was in the 'my document' folder on the old computer. I copied the complete BV folder onto a flash drive and put it on another computer in the same directory as you said, 'my documents'. My pictures do not show up on the pages on the new computer. However they are still all in the BV folder, in the 'image folder' within the BV folder. When I posted this question in the wrong forum yesterday, they were kind enough to tell me that the images have to be 'next' to the page. Does that mean I should have each page in a seperate folder with all the images belonging to that page in its own folder? I have to keep them organized somehow. My goal is to have another computer to work with in case one crashes and I would like to be able to transfer files from one computer to another, depending which one I'm working on at the time. Thank you in advance for your help. Reenie www.amishcountryfarmersmarket.com

Comment

Hello, I went to both computers and looked at the path. The original path on the first PC for the BV folder is: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents
                            The path for the BV folder on the new PC is C:\Documents and Settings\M1530\My Documents
                            I can't rename the M1530 folder because is says it is a windows folder. So is this why I can't see the images on the pages on the new computer. Thank you. Reenie www.amishcountryfarmersmarket.com

Comment

I must be lazy then or not place any importance on this. When I transfered my BV files to my new PC, I quickly realised that the image paths were lost but I also quickly realised that although you cant see the images on the BV builder, you can work around them, you can still publish as normal but if you really want to see them, just reinsert them.

I do however back up all my files and images in case my PC blows up.
                              Happy Building

DarrenC

Comment

Working...
                              X