This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joomla, Fantastico and Upgrading a manual install

It's great to see VH updated/upgraded Joomla in Fantastico. A couple questions before I start messin with my current, manual, install.

-Has VH committed to keeping up to date with Joomla as they are always patching, and with the new Joomla to be hitting the market soon?

If so,

-What's involved with converting to using Fantastico from my old manual install?

-Do I just go in and start deleting files? Typically that's a BIG No No!

Any guidance would be great.

I'm also having a problem with my SQL Database and have posted a question in the proper forum about that. I am not sure if it's related to Joomla since I hadn't updated to the past 2 patches.

Thank You!

Re: Joomla, Fantastico and Upgrading a manual install

Well first of all if you are upgrading an install you will have to do it other than thru fantastico.

You will need to get their manual and follow instructions. Its not on vodahost to do this.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Yeah, I know that about Updating the version in a manual install. My question was about how diligent VH was going to be about keeping the versions of Joomla updated in Fantastico. Joomla states that they have a 6-8 week release cycle. Once you install through Fantastico, you should update through there, much like the other Mods, Plugins and Scripts offered in Fantastico have. You go to Fantastico, check your scripts to see if there are any updates or patches.

If VH is going to stay up to date with Joomla through Fantastico, then I might consider converting my Manual install into a Fantastico install.

So do you know anything about that?

Comment

Originally posted by WoWTabards View Post
        It's great to see VH updated/upgraded Joomla in Fantastico. A couple questions before I start messin with my current, manual, install.

-Has VH committed to keeping up to date with Joomla as they are always patching, and with the new Joomla to be hitting the market soon?

No very much doubt it. you will aways see a delay in all the programs in fantastico on the upgrades.

If so,

-What's involved with converting to using Fantastico from my old manual install?
        Once you have Manually installed you will have to upgrade manually.

-Do I just go in and start deleting files? Typically that's a BIG No No!

NO Never delete any file in any program you install, especially any file the that deals with the database connection like config.php or configuration.php. any upgrade or patch is designed to overright the files. the only thing you may have to watch is any modiforcation you have done to a installed program. aways do a back up of any files that are to be over written / and download a copy of the database. Downloading the config or configuration files is a must.

Any guidance would be great.

I'm also having a problem with my SQL Database and have posted a question in the proper forum about that. I am not sure if it's related to Joomla since I hadn't updated to the past 2 patches.

Looks like if the database there in cpanel that your configuration.php has been overwritten or changed you will need to download this file and put things right.

Thank You!
        If you need any help post here.
        Alien Dude Solutions

Comment

Wow! A real answer without all the ridicule and condescention. Perfect! Everything I needed to know. Thank You!

Working on the DB thing yet. I'll bet my wePrint Designer install went Awry! I'll have to get out the magnifying glass and fine tooth it! See what's changed or incomplete.

Thanks For Your Help on Both Posts!

Jordi

Comment

If your checking the configuration.php file check lines 33 though to 38 those ones deal with the database.
            Alien Dude Solutions

Comment

Ok, thanks for the tip. Did that and made a User and PW change and that seemed to shake things up a bit. I have a lot more words and some of them are Red now! lol.

-jtablesession::store failed
              DB function failed with error number 1146
              Table 'k******s_joom1.jos_session' doesn't exist SQL=INSERT INTO `jos_session` ( `session_id`,`time`,`username`,`gid`,`guest`,`clie nt_id` ) VALUES ( '08e8f9051de3c56b3990bb71c5c3b88b','1254780046','' ,'0','1','1' )

Comment

did you install any plugins or Components that would need a database change.
                not being able to see the database or the configuration.php it hard to say.
                what if anything where you doing when the site went down.

did you change the user / password in the database in cpanel and in the configuration.php
                Alien Dude Solutions

Comment

Yes, I did try to install a Script. It seemed to fail and I haven't had a chance to check my file manager and see how much of it made it in there. I have to go to the programs website and see what I missed. They have instructions about setting up a DB but I already had the one in place.

Been hectic at the shop the past few days, so I haven't had time to work on this. Memory's failing a bit. Hope I can remember where I was in my deductions.

Comment

It's not so much db as the files looking for a table in the db that does not exist usually meaning a mod install went wrong.

I would try installing a test joomla site into a folder on the server then once done export the old database and import it into the new joomla if that works and everything is ok then you will know that its the files. there is a number of way to repair but ill see how you get on first as the repair can get a little complicated.
                    Cant remember did you manually install or install though fantastico ?

What ever you decide make shore you download a copy of the database and also the configuration.php and keep safe.

Do Not Delete the old joomla files or database
                    Alien Dude Solutions

Comment

Hey thanks for hangin in there. I am in the process of trying to re-install the script and I think I figured out where I went wrong. I kept getting interrupted during the install. Not good, should've just aborted and waited til later.

The script is an Online shirt designer. Weprint Designs. What I failed to do, was create the DB that they specified and the table to import prior to installing. So what I think happened was, I tried to install the script into my joom1 DB and it wiped out the table. In setting up the WPD Database and Table, I think that I can handle doing that. It's just finding the file to import for the table. This site was very Elementary and not much was in the DB. What I lost, if anything is no big deal. I am in the process of just getting the site stablized and ready for the Major Designing of it. All that was really there were a few templates I was toying around with about 2 blog posts. No inventory or real product pages at all.

Once I've finished installing this script I am going to go back and try re-applying the 2 updates that I tried to install the other day from Joomla.

Am I on the right track?

Thanks for your help!!

Comment

If there was not much there why not just delete the hole lot files database the hole joomla, then download the latest release from joomla and start again it would save the headache, you would not have to update and installing the templates take 5mins.
                        Just an Idea.

ive done so many of these now i dream about them quite scary. but once you know your way around it becomes second nature.

Good luck anyway and you get stuck post back.
                        Alien Dude Solutions

Comment

Perfect! That's what I'm going to do. It's much easier to Build New, than it is to Remodel!

I just didn't want to delete and then regret it later. You know, the old files hangin around and causing conflicts etc. I think I'm going to cleanup my /public_html folder while I'm at it. Has a hold ton of old BlueVoda files in it that aren't being used etc.

Thanks a ton for the help. This is what a community/forum is all about. It's not Tech Support! Just others with similar issues to share their experiences and Trench Expertise.

Thanks!

Comment

Cool
                            Just one thing if you install anything into the latest joomla make sure it is 1.5 computable. if it 1.0 then you have to turn on the System - Legacy in the plugin manager not always a good idea.

If you need any help or advise just shout.
                            Alien Dude Solutions

Comment

Thanks, for the tip. I will have to double check with the Script originator and make sure I can use it with Joomla.

Comment

Working...
                              X