Need help changing the home page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help changing the home page

I'm new at this and don't understand alot so please be patient.

I have my web site up and running but I'm trying to get the oscommerce to work. I don't know how to edit the home page. I've watched the tutorials ten times now and it seems to jump a section. I don't understand how it got to the page to actually edit the home page or the logo on the top of the page. I can't find anywhere where there is a reference on where to go.

Can some one help me please.

Thanks.

Re: Need help changing the home page

Hi

give us a link to the home page so we can properly analyse the prob.

Millie
    Millie
    www.subeagle.com

Comment

Originally posted by millie View Post
      Hi

give us a link to the home page so we can properly analyse the prob.

Millie
      www.subeagle.com

Here is the home page. It's still the one that comes with osCommerce.

Thank you for your help. Once I learn how to change that I can then change the logo and the top banner.

Thank you for your help.

Comment

Right

As you know, the home page is always called index.bvp. When you publish, the BV will automatically change the extension to .html (instead of .bvp) by default. You change the extension to .php if you specify php in the file extension of the page property (I can see that your index has a .php). By default, the index page is publish in your home dir which is public_html. I can see that your index is actually in a sub dir /store/. When the publish dialogue displays, you also have an option to specify which folder to publish to, that is where you must have specified public_html/store/ for your index.php to go there. To edit your home page (index.php), you have to edit index.bvp in BV. By default, all you need to do in BV is open a page and you can choose the file to open in the dialogue box, unless you saved index.bvp in another folder. Therefore, find out where index.bvp is in your computer, then get to it using the open page in BV.

Millie
        Millie
        www.subeagle.com

Comment

Right

As you know, the home page is always called index.bvp. When you publish, the BV will automatically change the extension to .html (instead of .bvp) by default. You change the extension to .php if you specify php in the file extension of the page property (I can see that your index has a .php). By default, the index page is publish in your home dir which is public_html. I can see that your index is actually in a sub dir /store/. When the publish dialogue displays, you also have an option to specify which folder to publish to, that is where you must have specified public_html/store/ for your index.php to go there. To edit your home page (index.php), you have to edit index.bvp in BV. By default, all you need to do in BV is open a page and you can choose the file to open in the dialogue box, unless you saved index.bvp in another folder. Therefore, find out where index.bvp is in your computer, then get to it using the open page in BV.

Millie
          www.subeagle.com
          Thank you for your response. The home page that I am trying to modify is the oscommerce home page not the index page of BV. I will add it to the BV page's when I modify the oscommerce home page. This tutorial did not make it clear to me about how to modify it.

Thank you.

Comment

Right then

To edit http://rocksolidtoys.com/store/index.php, you have to find the file index.bvp in the directory that this is saved. This will be confusing because your home page is also called index.bvp. You have two files with the same name. How do I know this, because your home page is always called index.bvp. This page is what you see when you go to http://rocksolidtoys.com. What you want is to edit another page with the same index.bvp name. This file could only be in another directory in your PC.

Millie

Millie
            www.subeagle.com

Comment

Right then

To edit http://rocksolidtoys.com/store/index.php, you have to find the file index.bvp in the directory that this is saved. This will be confusing because your home page is also called index.bvp. You have two files with the same name. How do I know this, because your home page is always called index.bvp. This page is what you see when you go to http://rocksolidtoys.com. What you want is to edit another page with the same index.bvp name. This file could only be in another directory in your PC.

Millie
              www.subeagle.com

I see. Ok Thank you. I'll look around for it.

Comment

Working...
              X