Upgrading my blogs to Wordpress 2.9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading my blogs to Wordpress 2.9

I got an e-mail yesterday from Wordpress, saying that I can now upgrade to (i.e., download and install) Wordpress 2.9.

So I tried following the "Manual Upgrade" instructions to install 2.9 in one of the subdomains where I'd previously installed WP . . . and I seem to have deleted that domain's blog (luckily, it had very little content, and I hadn't posted to it for several months):

FYI, I downloaded WP 2.9 from
    http://wordpress.org/download/ and placed it in My Documents, then used BlueFTP to install its folders and files in the "dogblog" directory of my dogtrainingyes.com subdomain.

In my cPanel (in Fantastico Deluxe), for each domain or subdomain where I have WP installed, there is a "Upgrade to 2.8.6" link I can click. Does that mean 2.8.6 is the "latest" version of WP I can currently install?

Or did I just install 2.9 wrong? And if so, can you tell me what I need to do to install it correctly? Thanks.

Re: Upgrading my blogs to Wordpress 2.9

Hi Jim,
    I just went into my WP blog & got the same upgrade message. I just selected the "automatic upgrade" & everything went fine..........
    you could try it.....
    david
    Never measure the height of the mountain you're climbing. At the summit, look back and see how small it really is!

Comment

Thanks, but once I've logged into my blog URL/wp-admin, where exactly do I find this "automatic upgrade" link? I searched the page for the word "automatic" and it's not there.

Near the top of the page I see this text: "WordPress 2.9 is available! Please update now" and those last three words are linked to http://wordpress.org/download, where (on the right) I can click a blue rectangular button labeled "Download WordPress 2.9" and begin the manual download process. Nothing automatic about it as far as I can see.

Please advise what to do, thank you.

Comment

Of course now I've upgraded I no longer see the message! But here's what I get when I click on latest news:
        WordPress 2.9, oh so fine

Posted December 19, 2009 by Matt. Filed under Releases.
        I want to make you mine, all the time… oh wait. Hello. I’m here on behalf of the entire WordPress development team and community to announce the immediate availability of WordPress version 2.9 “Carmen” named in honor of magical jazz vocalist Carmen McRae (whom we’ve added to our Last.fm WP release station). You can upgrade easily from your Dashboard by going to Tools > Upgrade

I would try this last bit in red....
        Never measure the height of the mountain you're climbing. At the summit, look back and see how small it really is!

Comment

Right, that link (WordPress version 2.9 “Carmen”) leads to the page where you all you can do is click the blue button, "Download WordPress 2.9" and begin the manual download/install process that I've already tried.

Any other suggestions (anyone)? This is the second time in a year I've tried to upgrade to the "latest and greatest" version of WP and run into major difficulties. How does anyone ever do these WP upgrades??

Comment

Good news (for me, at least) . . . I finally tried AGAIN to upgrade my blogs to WP version 2.8.6, using the one-click method in Fantastico. Now that I have the newer version of cPanel ("Accelerated 2") I had the "Upgrade" link next to each blog listed on the WP Overview page, and clicking them WORKED!

That made me very happy, especially after all this:

So, getting back to my original question on this thread: Is 2.8.6 is the "latest" version of WP I can currently install via Fantastico? Because now WP is saying I should upgrade to 2.9. Thank You!

Comment

Working...
            X