Template Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Template Issue

My web site (www.arpropertyrentals.com) is for property rentals, sales and services. Each of the properties has a separate page. My issue is that when I need to change or add something to a page which is common to all pages I have to do it one page at a time which takes a great deal of time as there are a good few pages. I was wondering if it is possible for me to set up template which I only need change once and it would take effect of all the pages (if you know what I mean). Here’s hoping, it would save me so much time and frustration. Thanks in advance.

Re: Template Issue

this might be what you are looking for:

Comment

Thanks WSBlue, will give it try, seems to be just the thing.

Comment

OK, had a go at this and don't seem to be having any success. It's a 'Go Menu' I'm working on and seem to have set up the page with the 'Go Menu' as described saved as a php. Have put the HTML box in the appropriate position on the home page (now saved as a php also) and fully expected the 'Go Menu' to appear when viewing the site live, but nothing there. I have it on my other pages because I've still to make the alterations to them. Any idea what's gone wrong??

Comment

Originally posted by RobbieB View Post
          OK, had a go at this and don't seem to be having any success. It's a 'Go Menu' I'm working on and seem to have set up the page with the 'Go Menu' as described saved as a php. Have put the HTML box in the appropriate position on the home page (now saved as a php also) and fully expected the 'Go Menu' to appear when viewing the site live, but nothing there. I have it on my other pages because I've still to make the alterations to them. Any idea what's gone wrong??
          place a HTML box at all the pages where you want the menu to be.

now click right HTML box > Properties ...
          (copy below and paste it in Custom HTML: , edit red font)

<?php
          include
          ("whatever_menu.php");
          ?>

publish all these pages with php extension

create Go Menu in a separate page. Save Page As ...
          whatever_menu

also publish this page with php extension.

They only will work after published.

Comment

Done as suggested, still nothing showing, have only done a couple of pages though (Home page and R154LT). I don't really want to go through all the pages (unless completely necessary at this point) only to have to go back again if it doesn't work. But have followed your guidance with the exception of the 'edit red font' because not sure what you mean. When copied and pasted the font is black and I don't have facility to change the word 'whatever' to red.

Comment

WS is using red for emphasis. whatever_menu.php means the actual name of the menu page.
              It could be:
              my_menu.php
              your_menu.php
              menu.php
              Whatever you want to call it.
              Carefully read the tut from NavalDesign on the php method.
              CarbonTerry
              Semper Fi
              Still green...still mean......just not as lean

Red Hawk Archery
              Zone 5 Photo
              My USMC

Comment

Thanks for that CarbonTerry. I suspected as much but wasn't sure from the way WS wrote it. I am in the process of of going through each page to load the HTML boxes etc and saving with php extensions, but at the moment still not having any joy. I was hoping that once all pages are done this might sort it! I have also noticed that in Control Panel File Manager (public_html) I now have an html and php copy of each page, some of these files are the same size and some aren't, I guess because of the way I have saved them. Is this critical? I think I understand the process for setting up these HTML boxes ok, seems pretty straight forward, so am a little frustrated as to why it's not working. Wondered if it had anything to do with the way I initially set up the site (main page called 'home.bvp' and also had a 'home.html') which I am now correcting to index.bvp and index.html as I go along. Frustrating but I'm enjoying trying to work it out!!! Thanks again for your response.

Comment

I have also noticed that in Control Panel File Manager (public_html) I now have an html and php copy of each page,
                  YOU MUST DELETE THE HTML PAGE.

Wondered if it had anything to do with the way I initially set up the site (main page called 'home.bvp' and also had a 'home.html') which I am now correcting to index.bvp and index.html as I go along.
                  YOUR SAVE YOUR FIRST PAGE/ INDEX PAGE/ HOME PAGE ONLY
                  index
                  No index.bvp or index.html or whatever behind index and all small letters

Comment

If it is not working for one page it will not work for any page.
                    Have you published the menu page?
                    Make sure that you have edited the menu page as instructed in the tutorial. It is critical that you delete the index.html page.
                    When you save the page(s) itshould be the page name only. Not index.php or index.html or index.bvp. The software will add the .bvp and when published will add the .php or html.
                    Page name only index, contact for instance.
                    CarbonTerry
                    Semper Fi

Red Hawk Archery
                    Zone 5 Photo
                    My USMC

Comment

can you post the code that you have placed in the html box?
                      Also, what is the name of your menu page?
                      CarbonTerry
                      Semper Fi

Red Hawk Archery
                      Zone 5 Photo
                      My USMC

Comment

I have followed the latest guidance provided by WSBlue and I think I may be able to sort it now. Once I deleted the html files it seemed to work ok.......only problem was all my links were in html so none of the links worked and I only had a front page. To keep my site running just now I re published all the files in html again. I guess I will have to change all the links on all the pages to 'php' so that will take me a while. Once done I intend to delete the html files again and re publish them as php's if that makes sense. If I am still heading down the wrong road here would appreciate your patience and further guidance. It's not easy being a 'muppet' you know, I have to work hard at it!!!

Thanks again CarbonTerry and WSBlue!

Comment

For info I am now deleting all references to '.html, .php and .bvp' from all my files as suggested......Hey I'm a Corporal, well I'll be dammed!!

Thanks again for all your help CarbonTerry and WSBlue. I'll be back on if this doesn't work!!

Comment

Working...
                          X