I am a newbie. Help? What is next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am a newbie. Help? What is next?

Hello all. Thanks for looking and hopefully give me some direction. O.K. I have signed up and received my info from BlueVoda. I have logged into my control panel and have to uploaded the 32 pages I have developed using the BlueVoda Website builder with associated, images, sounds, videos in the public_html folder. I did this using filezilla to transfer all the files ftp. I created a new folder to do so. In the initial instructions it says I have temp. URL. Can I use this to test the site before I publish?? Also, I cannot see anything when I try to go to the temp. URL. It says 530 user cannot log in. I was sure how to place the files from into public_html folder. Is there certain way they need to be organized? I just uploaded the saved files from BlueVoda Builder as saved all in.bvp format. I also need to make sure my current provider unlocks our site. I wanted to make sure this was all working before I made the call. Thanks in advance for any help.

Cliff

Re: I am a newbie. Help? What is next?

First of all you need to tell us your domain name so we have some point of reference.
    I guess you have an account with Vodahost?

If you use Bluevoda to build your pages you need to use the built in 'publish' feature to publish these pages. this will convert the .bvp files to .html files and send them to the public_html folder. You can't use ftp software to upload these. You can use ftp for uploading music/videos/images and so on. BV does have its own ftp under tools.

You can use your temp url to test your site

Hope this helps to get you on your way
    Happy Building

DarrenC

Comment

Thanks. That makes a lot of sense. I tried to upload/publish the Bluevoda website files via bluvoda ftp server and it keeps giving me a 530 error code which is not logged in. I am using my correct username and password. Any ideas.

Cliff

Comment

Lets stay away from ftp at the moment.

You need to systematically go through your pages and publish them individually. Do this by clicking - File > publish - top left of the builder.

The only critical thing is to make sure your home page is saved as index - all lower case letters. Make sure you do this one first!!
        Happy Building

DarrenC

Comment

Nevermind. I got it. I was using the wrong server ip?

Comment

We've all done that.....lol
            Happy Building

DarrenC

Comment

So far so good. I got all the pages uploaded. When on click on the temp URL is just shows as a index with parent directory. How can you view what you have like your virtual website will be? Thanks again.

Comment

Darren,

One more thing. I am getting the feeling it very hard to get any help from Voda Host. Should I be concerned or do have to rely on nice individuals like yourself???

Cliff

Comment

Originally posted by prairiedog72 View Post
                  So far so good. I got all the pages uploaded. When on click on the temp URL is just shows as a index with parent directory. How can you view what you have like your virtual website will be? Thanks again.
                  Cliff, the reason you are getting index with parent directory is because you didn't save/ publish your first (or home) page as index, all in lower case letters. I did say it was critical earlier on.
                  Happy Building

DarrenC

Comment

Originally posted by prairiedog72 View Post
                    Darren,

One more thing. I am getting the feeling it very hard to get any help from Voda Host. Should I be concerned or do have to rely on nice individuals like yourself???

Cliff
                    www.prairiegolf.com
                    No don't be concerned. Vodahost have laid on loads of tutorials to help all of us and for everything else this forum is made up of volunteers that can pretty much answer any question you may have.
                    Happy Building

DarrenC

Comment

Darren,

I did publish that first. I did however have it saved as index2? I changed the name. Do I have to publish all 32 pages over again? my temp url is http://75.126.104.131/~sakzquys. Thanks again for your help.

Cliff

Comment

Having looked it seem as if you have created lots of folders for different things.

Your index page should be saved and published as index all in lower case and you should be publishing to the public_html folder. Now it seems you are publishing to public_html/web pages folder which is a subfolder and is not necessary and probably not helping things.

Simply publish your index page to the public_html (which is the default in BV) and test it.

If this works repeat for all the other pages.

Let me know how you get on.
                        Happy Building

DarrenC

Comment

Darren,

It worked!! o.k. my question is how can I put all my files that I have already downloaded that are in folders together so that they will work without having a list a mile long and not knowing which files goes to which page. I hope this makes sense. You rock. Play golf???

Cliff

Comment

Cliff...thats a nice looking page but sorry but you arnt making sense. What do you mean about files already downloaded? Were talking about publishing arn't we? You have to systematically go through the pages built in BV and publish them individually obviously making sure that the navigation links are configured.

I wish I could play golf but I absolutely terrible....lol
                            Happy Building

DarrenC

Comment

Darren,

I mean that I published each page yesterday and have them individual folders (screenshot2) in a folder named web files. I have the index page not in a file (screenshot 1). Hope this helps.

Sorry, I thought I could insert a file. Do you have a e-mail address? Thanks

Cliff

Comment

Working...
                              X