need estimation done based on choices made

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need estimation done based on choices made

Hi - this is for calculating the cost of a catering order. Based on the menu chosen through the number of checkboxes ticked, the user would click click on the estimate button.
    Either through javascript or php interacting with database, customer would get a total cost of his order.
    He could be provided the option of going back and modifying his order for a new estimate.
    A future enhancement could be to apply group discount if the number of persons invited are above a certain range.

www.klubkolkata.com

Re: need estimation done based on choices made

Okay... don't laugh.. but I've seen this done really easily with google docs.

I kid you not!

They pulled their product list in from a CSV export from the POS software they use.

From there they made a "price list" which is linked to the product list prices. That price list is a public doc.

Then they made a "quote form" that pulls prices from the price list, and shared that document to the public.

Once that's done they email a link to a copy of the quote form, that the customer can play in and fill out.

When they are done they call/email, and the staff pull the quote in and process it.

Works really well for them. It's free. It's web accessible. It's easy to update. It didn't take any programming skills or high level knowledge they would be tied to for support.

Something to consider?

Comment

Gander.
      Thanks for the very interesting and simplified solution..could you please provide link to a website that actually implements the proposed solution, to help understand how it all fits in together. Thanks a bunch.

Comment

I doubt of the above solution. Especially with the additional features required.

Such a solution requires both Javascript and PHP (or alternatively Ajax).
        Navaldesign
        Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
        Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
        DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
        Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

navaldesign: Have you used Google docs? There's a LOT of powerful features there that can easily address the needs of a quoting system.

kasuba: I would have to give you a login to the heart of a small business, you'd have full view of the customer transactions, and details. So no, there's no "demo" of this working, unless you wanted me to make one for you. Such a thing would require a tinkle in my tip jar at the very least!

It's much easier for you to sign up for google docs, and try some of the steps I posted to see what I mean. You don't need real data, or real customers, just try it out and you'll see.

Actually, I do have a copy of the contacts setup they were using for ideas, and the fellow who wrote that does have other examples:

I think he is ahab at gmail dot com but I can't confirm.. He's got examples all over the google docs site.

Comment

I suppose that the order estimate AND details, together with customer details, should then need to be mailed to the site owner. Probably even stored in a database for later use. I don't know if you can do something like this with Google docs.

Of course, I'm talking without having experience of Google docs and their APIs.
            Navaldesign
            Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
            DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
            Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

I need a form to allow members to see their personal accounts with email address, their membership numbr and a PIN devised by them

Comment

Originally posted by navaldesign View Post
                I suppose that the order estimate AND details, together with customer details, should then need to be mailed to the site owner. Probably even stored in a database for later use. I don't know if you can do something like this with Google docs.

Of course, I'm talking without having experience of Google docs and their APIs.
                ND: Take a look at that public doc I linked to as it's actually a fake customer lookup.

Google docs is interesting in that they allow multiple people to work on, and chat over a document. So if you create a spreadsheet with prices, and issue it privately to a customer, and then they login and tweak quantities and make choices, the rep can watch them realtime, chat with them on the same page, and when the customer is done, pull that sheet in as an order to fill.

Zoho has the exact same abilities, also for free, if you are at all worried about Google's data hungry ways.. I've used GMail for almost 5 years and to be honest, it knows more about me than my family does. I'm way past worrying what they know. :)

Gramps: You'd need to give me more info and I'd be glad to try and help.

Kasuba: I made a VERY simple example (I spent less than 5 mins) for you that does what you asked:

(If you edit the price or the QTY the totals will change)

It's very easy to customize things with images/more info should you wish. You could even go crazy and make a master sheet with all your options accessible, and then pre-load the quote sheets with the options you suggest.

Comment

Not sure what you mean about mods.

Anyway, here is a simple order form that updates totals. I didn't make it with standard products (it would be even easier, as only quantities would change):

It can email both user and site admin, store data in a database and in a CSV file, the mail is sent as HTML (though I didn't loose time to fix the layout)

When it comes to specific needs , in my opinion, you need specific solutions.
                  Navaldesign

Comment

Working...
                  X