Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purchasing a military watch

Hey Voda Folks!

Does anyone have advise with regard to buying a military watch?

The watch will be a gift for my son. He is turning 21. Next March, he ships out to Parris Island. My baby will soon be a United States Marine.

Just wondered if any of you have ever bought a watch that has a compass, different time zones, that sort of thing. It's a very special gift. I've looked at many on line. Need to make a decision soon.

Thanks in advance!
    Vicki

www.staceygoldendesigns.net

Re: Purchasing a military watch

Parris Island? A Marine, eh?
    I was a 1st75th Ranger sniper back in the days we did our PT in boots, not tennies!

I would suggest a rugged Diver's Watch with an emphasis on readability.
    Many have additional functions, which may come in handy for him (time zones, stopwatch, alarm, timer, etc.) .... and I would seriously recommend you look at the "Eco-Drive" Professional Diver Series from Citizen: the Eco Drive means it recharges the battery from exposure to light, so the less to worry about the better. Automatics tend to suffer from shock abuse (the balance stem usually gives way at the jewelled pivots), so avoid the temptation to think it a better choice.

As far as needing a compass? Well, today's services are so GPS oriented and tech-laden that rarely do they ever use a compass out of boot camp. If absolutely necessary (considering they will never be as accurate as the issued landfinders with azimuth scales), consider getting a replacement divers rubber wristband that has one built in to the band itself (they have to be able to return to the boat, you know).

I have a feeling he will opt to have the green 2-inch wide nylon with velcro flap covered wristband typically allowed, though. (Keeps the watchcase and crystal from reflecting in daylight or at night being covered under the flap). They go for about $3 at AFEES.

Mention that I retired in 2009 under the age of 50 after having 3 jewelry stores of my own for more than 30 years?
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

My goodness! You're like a freakin' encyclopedia!

Thanks for the advise. Any thoughts about Wenger?
      Vicki

Comment

Wenger is cheap. Used to make a nice watch 40 years ago, but now they are trading on a name that does not live up to a reputation. That's why they are mass-marketed to big box sellers, AFFEES included. (They used to be a big name along with Elgin in WWII, but when they cheapened the movements, they never recovered --- even with the universiality of qu artz movements -- which need regular battery replacement).
        Tis why I recommended the Eco-Drive: never have to worry about opening the watch, let alone trying to find a replacement cell.

Remember! A "sealed case" watch like a diver's is naturally going to be thicker, heavier, and more "cumbersome" than a simple watch, as it needs to have the heft to deflect shock and the mechanics to encase the movement against water, dirt, etc.

The more functions you cram into it, the thicker and heavier it becomes ..... and THAT will always be an issue when serving in arms. Also one of the foremost reasons the wider nylon velcro-flap military strap is favored ... more comfortable being wider, quieter, and snugger with the non-metallic velcro closure (no parts to break or bend). Trust me.

The Citizen will cost maybe $400 compared to the $200 Wenger, but you are getting a lot more watch for the money, and a watch that will perform as expected.

PS: Stay away from Seiko's Kinetic version diver's watch .... like an automatic, it uses movement to constantly recharge a battery, but the fact is, the mechanism of the automatic was not designed properly and always had to be replaced. Not the reliability you need when in the field.

Keep in mind you need to select a STRAP watch, so it is a simple matter of fitting ther springbars over another band ... bracelet wat ches have designs that are intrgral and do not allow swapping out bands to anything but another like-kind bracelet.

A selection of affordable wat ches in the genre I mentioned for inspiration HERE (You can see the retails are around $400)
        And were I to choose from the selection, based on features and everything else, it would be THIS ONE (Note that it is not a Diver's, but still water resistant up to 300 ft. and has the same features that are so prized)

Maybe you can get my mindset by this comparison....
        . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
        * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

thanks so much V, will keep you posted
          Vicki

Comment

Working...
          X