This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splitting up the webspace?

I was wondering how to (I know it is possible but I'm not a technical wonder) split the webspace and use it for two separate websites...

I have a lot of webspace unused in my package and since a second website is on its way, I thought it would be handy to just host them both in the same package. The second website would be WordPress-based, whereas the existing one is built with BlueVoda.

Now the question is: if I purchase a second domain name, how can I link the existing domain to my existing BlueVoda-built site, and the second domain to the WordPress-built content?

Sorry if this seems like a silly question, my knowledge of IT is rather limited ... *blush*
    "It's better to die on your feet than to live on your knees"

Re: Splitting up the webspace?

Just create an addon domain..click the below for instructions...

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Somewhat similar probably to add-on domains, but is it also the same way one can use a subdomain for certain portions of the site? If I launch my newly updated version of my site soon but want the old version to remain reachable as an archived site using a URL such as http://old.site-domain.tld ... Is that done in a similar way as when you spread content of the site across different domains?

Comment

Nobody??

I would assume that it would be possible to use a subdomain for my site for one specific area of the site (eg travel.domain.com for all travel-articles, sports.domain.com for all sports-related articles, etc) but I guess that uploading the pages to the right subdomain requires certain settings?

Comment

You would be better with the SE's using an add-on domain for a new site with different content. Sub domains don't seem to carry the same clout.
          But if it was a site with different departments for (Lets say) a builders business. You could just have:
          www.building.com/plumbing/
          www.building.com/electrical/
          www.building.com/carpenters/
          & so on. Then just place a new index page for each new directory.
          Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

I am working on the new version of my site, but as stated (I thought I'd better pick up this thread than creating a new similar-ish one) I would like to keep the old version online too. Because in the end it was the first website I ever built so would feel a bit sad to take it offline completely. Maybe also some uncertainty of my webbuilding skills, wanting to keep the old version online just in case ...

Anyways, I understand that subdomains are thus a bit unhandy and that http://old.name-of-site.tld would be somewhat unhandy whereas name-of-site.tld/old would be perfectly possible to lead to the old version of the site? How do I go about creating a separate section of the webspace to move the entire old site to (or even better: copy the old version to, thus leaving it also in the normal main part of the webspace where I could adapt the pages and add new pages which would then become the updated new version of the site) ?

Comment

A slight variety of this question (sorry to bring on this one again): forget about the different domains, I prefer to actually do it all under one domain. Nonetheless, I am still considering to have part of the website being static pages built with BlueVoda, and part Wordpress blog.

Now how exactly do I have to install Wordpress and get started, while being sure that when updating/overwriting/adding new BlueVoda pages to the other part of the website, I am not hindering the blog and vice versa? Summarised: when you have one part static pages with BlueVoda and the other part (eg name-of-your-website.tld/traveljournal being the blog) Wordpress blog, how do you indeed operate them as if they were not in the same webspace?

Also, usually when you use the post-per-email option to send new blog entries into Wordpress, you actually receive a notification (usually a copy of your blog entry) per email. Since we don't talk about a wordpress.com blog but a Wordpress blog added in the Vodahost webspace (albeit seperated from the static webpages) , to which email address would those confirmations/copies of new blog entries be sent?

Comment

1. A BlueVoda website and a Wordpress installation cannot co-exisit in a single domain directory: you can link one to another, but they must be in separate domain directories, either as Add-On Domains to the Primary Domain Hosting Account or Sub-Domains or a previously created Domain (either the Primary, or upon an Add-on). You cannot "blend" Wordpress with a BlueVoda site. Period.

2. There are Tutorials to clearly outline the steps you must take to create Add-On Domains, Sub-Domains, how to install Wordpress, and nearly every other conceivable step in web design ..... you need to study them carefully, and to learn how to rely upon them to answer these questions that truthfully can be self-answered by only reviewing the Tutorials even a slight bit. The Tutorials are available via the link from inside BlueVoda at the lower toolbar, at the top of every Forum page under "Support & Community," and independently (if you should choose to Bookmark the URL to the Main Tutorial Library page).

There is not enough time (nor is it permitted according to Forum Rules) to personally walk you through all the steps you need to take to get set up. Please make the personal effort to set in motion your personal progress.
                . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
                * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Working...
                X