Best way keep files straight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way keep files straight

In the past I had a computer crash. I had an external drive that I used to back up my work in progress. So when the computer crashed I bought a new computer and put the backed up files in what I thought was the same "place" on the new computer.

To add to this confusion if I have created any. Before the crash my website had been hacked so I deleted pages from the on line files and had taken the site down for what I thought was temporary. Then when I wanted to put them back up I opened the back up file and "published" only non of my pictures published as the images were not "found".

So my question is this. I am starting fresh. New New. I have a lap top and a desk top and I want to work on both. Is this possible? Should I save all my work on an portable external drive and work off of that?

Your thoughts?
    Thanks
    Fluttering Wings Butterfly Farm

Re: Best way keep files straight

Probably this will not be the solution either, if the external drive isn't being assigned (by the computers) the same unit identification letter (drive E or drive F etc)

A rather simple solution:

Inside your BV folder, there is a folder named "Images". Before inserting an image in your page, make sure to copy it in that folder, then insert it in your page from that folder.

This way, when moving from a computer to another, you will have all assets in a unique folder and will be rather easy to update.

Another solution, if you work always online, is to FTP all images on your server, and then, when inserting an image in a page, you can use the online path instead of the path on your computer. This way all images will always be available without even keeping a copy on your computer, as they are retrieved from the server. However, if you work offline, this is not possible, as images will not appear.
    Navaldesign
    Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
    Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Originally posted by navaldesign View Post
      Another solution, if you work always online, is to FTP all images on your server, and then, when inserting an image in a page, you can use the online path instead of the path on your computer. This way all images will always be available without even keeping a copy on your computer, as they are retrieved from the server. However, if you work offline, this is not possible, as images will not appear.

Now THAT is a good tip! Thanks for that,
      david
      Never measure the height of the mountain you're climbing. At the summit, look back and see how small it really is!

Comment

Thank you for that.

And now so I am totally clear. If I save the picture FIRST to the BV folder when I insert it to a page I path to the BV folder and it will always be there no matter if I have a computer crash or not. Correct?

Only one question. If you don't mind what would that path look like as wouldn't I have a BV folder on my hard drive?

Just making sure I have everything straight in my mind before I start and get things scattered.
        Pam

Comment

No, this is not what I said. I said that IF you save the images inside your BlueVoda folder, it will be easier to move to another computer. Easier yes (through Tools -> Assets Manager) but not automatic.

If you use this, you can easily update the images through the Assets Manager.

The only way to have images automatically appear in any computer, is to upload all images that you might need on your site, and when you insert an image in your page, instead of browsing your computer to find it locally, you set the path to the same image stored on the site (like http://www.yoursite,com/myimages/imagename.jpg )
          Navaldesign
          Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
          Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
          DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
          Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Allllllllllll righty then wish me luck.

Comment

Working...
            X