Page Size - opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Page Size - opinions?

Just a general question. I've always used the page width of 800 - I started my websites in 2005 (can't believe it's that long ago!) and this page width was recommended then to cope with older browsers.

Nowadays many monitors and laptop screens are widescreen, and so I was wondering whether I should go wider? But then, having received an ipad for Christmas, it seems a width of 800 is ideal for ipads and smartphones.

So I'm undecided what to do! Has anyone else had any thoughts on this?
    Trish
    www.Limebrook.com
    www.MountainWalk.co.uk
    www.MyBeardedDragons.co.uk
    www.TucsonForBeginners.com
    www.Pets4kids.info

Re: Page size - opinions?

Based on the maximum width to provide a minimal gutter for the 16-grid display system (the basis for all monitor and online resolution parameters) to "fit" within the default 1024 setting, your web pages should be kept to no wider than 984 pixels. This allows the minimum gutter (page background) of 1/2 column on each side of the page.

And, since the same standard for creating relevancy of Page Content remains the same by focusing on the first 500-700 words of the 1000 allowed (with the same Keyword allowances - standard 20 max.), the length of pages is "suggested" to be no longer than 1300 pixels deep ... with everything being capably fit into an area around 600 pixels nicely, in the preferred "above the fold" position. Just saying ...
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Re: Page size - opinions?

Thanks!
      Trish
      www.Limebrook.com
      www.MountainWalk.co.uk
      www.MyBeardedDragons.co.uk
      www.TucsonForBeginners.com
      www.Pets4kids.info

Comment

Page Properties

I use a 17inch screen on my laptop. when i create my webpage it looks fine. But when using a standard screen my website is not centered on other computers? How do I change Page properties to fit website? What should settings be? Thanks

Comment

Re: Page Properties

I am guilty of being a quick poster. My domain name is www.thegarybrownfoundationformsa.org my problem is listed. Thank you

Comment

Had you done a simple Forum Search, you would have found this thread and the reply made quite recently:
            Originally posted by Vasili View Post
            Based on the maximum width to provide a minimal gutter for the 16-grid display system (the basis for all monitor and online resolution parameters) to "fit" within the default 1024 setting, your web pages should be kept to no wider than 984 pixels.

And, since the same standard for creating relevancy of Page Content remains the same by focusing on the first 500-700 words of the 1000 allowed (with the same Keyword allowances - standard 20 max.), the length of pages is "suggested" to be no longer than 1300 pixels deep ... with everything being capably fit into an area around 600 pixels nicely, in the preferred "above the fold" position. Just saying ...
            ​MERGING THREADS ...

Comment

There is nowhere on page properties showing a pixel measurement just page height and width: What should it be set at to get proper display?
              Thanks

Comment

Re: Page Size - opinions?

Originally posted by bluengold50 View Post
                There is nowhere on page properties showing a pixel measurement just page height and width: What should it be set at to get proper display?
                WIDTH: 982 ; HEIGHT: 1300 . . All Measurements in web-building are in reference to PIXELS

Be sure to also select: "Center this page in browser horizontally"

>
                How To Define Page Properties in BlueVoda

> BlueVoda Video Tutorials

> Complete Web-Building Video Tutorial Library

Comment

Web Page Size unable to fit page in standard screen. Works on my wide screen.

I am trying to figure out why page will not fit in screen? I have followed all direction given in a previous post. Width settings:983 Height:1100. When i click either choice
                  of center browser the screen is way off, so i chose DO NOT center browser. What are we doing wrong? our site is using settings right now www.thegarybrownfoundationformsa.org .

Comment

Re: Web Page Size unable to fit page in standard screen. Works on my wide screen.

Setting the Page Width and Page Height in PAGE PROPERTIES dictates that you will in fact position all your page design elements within this page dimension, as indicated by the "Ruler" in the top of the BV Workpane. You have not done so - your page is still wider than 1337 pixels wide according to your layout.

If you do not keep the items within this preset and established Page Parameter, the "Center this page in browser horizontally" will not function properly, and will display a default "left-lock" display instead.

Obviously you have not re-designed your pages themselves to "fit" within the 984 pixels wide parameter, thinking that merely by entering a specific page size everything is done automatically for you - wrong thinking!

You need to manually reconfigure your pages to "fit" the page width you have preset in PAGE PROPERTIES, making sure that the right side of the page boundary is kept as indicated by the Ruler stop at the top of your BV Workpane... for instance, your Header Logo itself is 1023 wide. How are you supposed to fit a 1023 wide logo that is already set in 314 pixels to the right (making your page layout still 1337 wide) into a 984 wide page unless you re-configure things proportionately???

PLEASE REVIEW THE ILLUSTRATION HERE > http://vodawebs.com/page-size-demo.html

WHAT YOU NEED TO DO

Re-size your Page Template itself (the image you laid in as a page background) to 984 pixels so you can use it as a proper page background. Do you have a photo editor tool? If not, download PixResizer free from VodaHost to open the original template image and re-size it to 984 pixels wide (it will automatically be proportionately sized according to height when sized according to width).

Once you have your full-sized Page Background, you can now lay back in all your different page elements, clearly within the boundary of the background image itself, thus keeping everything safely within the page presets for size. You may have to change the sizes of some elements like your Header Logo (which you can COPY+PASTE from a previously saved page onto this new one, and then double-click to open it to reduce the size of the logo itself until it fits).

You need to COPY+PASTE the remainder of your page elements onto this new page, and reduce the font size in your text, which will then make it easier to read and easier to properly "balance" within your page proportionately.

Continue re-designing your pages using this proper method and republish them all when done.

These are simply BASIC and CORE methods that are taught in the Tutorials, but they are essential to making significant progress!

3/11 - You've made progress using these tips above, but at 1116 pixels wide and still needing some basic visual refinement, your site is still below par from potential, and will not score with the Search Engines the way you want and deserve!.

Comment

Working...
                    X