Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• complex database designer needed

Hi all

For a new project I need to have a database built, that can receive inputs live on screen from my clients, this involves them being able to choose a layout, colours, upload videos, upload text, select audio, so that their advert when called up will have all their choices shown

The database also requires that people browsing the site will be able to select from locations, price
    , and other variables inputted from the client, so they get to see the correct adverts

Other items needed are a pricing module so that the client can only upload while their account is in credit (but the browsers can still see their adverts even when the client is in zero credit

This is probably hard to explain here but I hope that gives you an idea on what I need, for more info or to show interest please feel to email me ian@eavideo.co.uk

Thanks all
    Ian

Re: complex database designer needed

Streaming, "chat" or interactive scripting to accomplish this would violate VodaHost's Terms of Service that specifically prohibit them on their servers, so it would not matter if you think to accomplish this via a 'complex database' format, in addition to such access to utilize a shared Control Panel, which is also strictly prohibited.

What you are actually looking for as a function for your site (to facilitate video processing and project management) is already available at great cost by some other video industry providers. Alternately, you can commission a custom scripting to be done at significant cost also.
    There also may already be a specific plugin that will mimic this function (with or without adjustment) that would make all this possible if using a CMS platform like Joomla or Mambo, each of which dynamically creates the databases required to integrate these (and more) functions.

These platforms are easily established within your VodaHost hosting account with a few simple clicks via the Fantastico section of your Control Panel. You may wish to explore the applicability of CMS as a solution to your online evolution ...
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Hi Vasili

Thanks for the info, much appreciated, maybe I can look at this from another perspective in that the customer simply uploads the information into the database ? and I then create the look of their page from that info, would that work ?

What would you call "a significant cost"

I have no experience of online databases so I realise this will cost me, but depending on cost it will be far favourable to me having a nervous breakdown trying to do this from zero knowledge

Comment

Assuming that we are speaking of files with an average size of 15-25mb+, it will not be possible to a customer to upload to your website or hosted server, scripted function or not, database or not. These sizes of files are abnormally large, and require special processing (even to email successfully), something your personal hosting account is not configured to offer.

Like I mentioned, there are specialty scripts and tools already out there to mimic the function you describe, and many are integrated with other toolsets that may prove invaluable as you edit graphics, images, and video files. Check with some of your major suppliers (if you have any) for some of their "Retailer Tool and Options" that may be offered individually or within a module, such as for a POS system that includes an online connectivity. *If you find one that looks potentially useful, before you purchase it or become obligated to accepting it, contact VodaHost Support and ask them to evaluate it's applicability to your hosting plan, as they may have to make special accommodation to configure some server settings if it can be used. This way, you have both approval and an understandable method of application.

Significant cost? I have a different threshold personally, but for all intents and purposes in serving the interests of the average VodaTalk Member, I say anything more than $1,000 is "significant" .... whereas custom coding on the scale you are really aiming for is likely to end up being in the $3-5,000 range - or much more! IF you can find someone proficient enough to do what you ask the first time without re-interpretation and with sound coding (error, broken, and garbage code free) ... based on personal experience, try to avoid freelancers based in the Philipines, Vietnam, and for the most part, India. Communication is strained as is finding compatible logic and simple thinking mannerisms, and frustration emerges far too early ... I've had much better simpatico dealing with Eastern European wizkids and American spare-timers.

You can verify my mentions by posting your Project to a few freelancer sites to see what kind of bids (or alternative suggestions) are offered. www.freelancer.com is one I have used in the past, as well as a few others, but this one will allow you to see some replies and be able to retract your project before being bound to accept a bid.

THE SIMPLE SOLUTION is for you to create a Form/Questionaire/Spec Sheet as a PDF or "MS Word Form" for clients to fill out with specific details as a 'selector' of sorts (which by limiting some selections actually will spur more definition and quicken the process) to be returned via email .... something you can do from a simple BV webs Contact Form page. They can also submit images electronically, so once received, you can arrange them according to the specified layout details submitted earlier.
        However, the aspect of customers "pre-editing" videos (which sounds like they need a video editor and templates somehow accessible) and transferring those video files will still represent a challenge, simply due to file sizes and the inclusion of a "builder-editor." You may have to resort to a large file sharing service to receive (new clients can email you files up to 25mb during a free trial period) and distribute (there are package prices beyond the trial period that are extremely affordable is costed into your base costs).
        Some of these services like www.YouSendIt.com www.SendSpace.com and www.TransferBigFiles.com are some of the more well known services I refer to ...

Comment

You may contact me with details of what you need to have a free quote.

Contact me through my website (in my signature)

From a first glance, this would cost much less than $1000, but, of course, I need to have full details of what you want to accomplish.
          Navaldesign
          Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
          Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
          DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
          Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Thanks again Vasli, a very comprehensive answer, my problem is that I am not really a computer person, of course I can do the basics but once it gets complex or more than cut and paste, (which is why I love Voda) then I make more problems than I cure

As for the hosting of the videos themselves, we werent planning on hosting them streaming from Voda, but on a seperate server so that speed etc would be maintained, I am being told that Seedbox type derver services are good for this, have you any experience in these ?

I have used many freelancers with various skills, not only computers on projects in the past, some with great success and some that were a disaster, but generally with good results, and have found Bulgarians excellent

As for costs, any cost really can be significant, but in the real world I have to understand that you dont get anything for nothing, so I work on the time vs income vs expenditure vs hassle formula, and that means cash

One thing I am amazed with, I contacted my local University who have a section that tries to find part time work for their students on all of their courses, the basis of this was that soon I do need to employ some spe******t people for this company soon and thought this would be a great way of finding people with up to date skills, who need money, and if they are good offering them full time employment at a future date, I was asking for Flash, After Effects and Video Editors, things my local uni say they spe******e in, so far 2 have contacted me (in 2 months) and after explaining what I wanted (which was simple flash and after effects modifications to existing files, such as changing names and logos) both said they had no idea how to do that. Dissapointing to say the least

Comment

Hey Naval Design

I am working on a flow chart of what we need to achieve, inputs, outputs, displays etc etc, as soon as this is done, I will send it over, you can then have a look at it, laugh if you want, and see if what I want is achievable and viable

Comment

Have you considered customizing a Shopping Cart to better accomplish what you are attempting to redundantly create?

You are still being quite unclear in describing what it is you are actually trying to accomplish ... even having looked at your site's 'Intro' page, it seems you are attempting something that is beyond your ability to both establish and administrate.

Originally posted by cathedral weddings View Post
                I need to have a database built, that can receive inputs live on screen from my clients, (as mentioned, "chat" or "streaming" scripts are prohibited) this involves them being able to choose a layout, colours, upload videos, upload text, select audio, so that their advert when called up will have all their choices shown. The database also requires that people browsing the site will be able to select from locations, price, and other variables inputted from the client, so they get to see the correct adverts (this is a "redirect" based on pages/modules visited, similar to a shopping cart 'suggesting' add-on purchase based on selection - and a simple script will indeed accomplish this, although it is usually integrated with the inventory database). Other items needed are a pricing module so that the client can only upload while their account is in credit (but the browsers can still see their adverts even when the client is in zero credit.(this is not logically described at all, unless you are attempting to mimic a shopping cart function)
                If you are looking to create an ability for customers to "customize" to any degree (including via templating) videos that will be further edited and hosted by you as a final project for any sort of "Wedding Page" then, again, I would suggest you 'partner' with some of the already established companies that offer this to affiliates or other 'retailers' after having made the investments themselves prior. Otherwise, showing on your website a dozen or so mock-up designs and having the customer fill out a detailed eMail Form via your BlueVoda web page should suffice - the "simple solution" is often the best, and obviously one that can be updated easily by yourself via BV without inconvenience and/or frustration.

If you entertaining separate private hosting (apparently for the customer videos), and are contemplating server types, why are you concerned about hosting with VodaHost? You can't have your cake and eat it too ...

Be sure that your 'flow charts' include as much detail as possible, so Gen. Navaldesign can get a clear idea of what you are dreaming to do - he's very good, but he's not a mind reader, and definitely does not have anything near the experience in the Wedding and Video/Film business as I do, so he will not automatically recognize some of the 'missing' or ill-conceived aspects to your overall plan. Good luck!

Comment

You are exactly correct Vasili in saying that what I want is beyond my computer capabilities, or else I would have done it all myself, by the way this is absolutely nothing to do with the wedding company, which is actually my daughters, and something she knocked up in about a day, it actually does very well, and manages to create an income that keeps her and her husband and 2 children in a comfortable lifestyle, not rich by any means but comfortable. I am on cathedral weddings as a name simply because that is the name I registered a long time ago into the forum

I own 3 retail outlets of various types and a garage and a fork lift business, these are run by managers, the reason these are run by managers is that personally I do not have the in depth skills in those fields that they have, so I pay them well to operate the businesses, what I do have is the thoughts and ideas that they impliment for me, sometimes when I have an idea those managers say things like "what a waste of time" "it will never work" however invariably I am proved right and the business improves. I bought each of the businesses when they were going bust and turned them around in under 6 months to profit, The other reason they manage these for me is that I am disabled and physically I can't do it all

This project is a new business idea for me, one which has been run past about 30 business owners in the field that they operate, they like the idea, and about half want to use the service as soon as it is up and running (which may be some time off) in fact 2 of them want to buy into the business and have opened their cheque books already.

This is the first business that I have that will operate 100% on the internet, and having looked at many packages some do part of what I want, some do others, in fact one of the closest matches is in Fantastico is Noahs Classifieds, a program I had never heard of, but it does look easy to use and much better than many others, I am surprised that it isnt pushed more on Voda

My thoughts on Noah are probably wrong, ( I can easily accept when I am wrong, but to me that is just one step on the way to getting it right) but I could end up with something like this customised to what we need to achieve

I may go off from Blue Voda, I do hope not, my only reason for doing so is that it simply doesnt work to do what I need,

The fact that only yourself and Navaldesign have so far responded to this request does show to me that there is a shortage of willing freelancers around, where I live in UK they are more rare than rocking horse droppings

I am doing the flow chart so that whoever does what I need will only have to build it once, I know the problems when something is built then the modifications come in and alter everything afterwards

Comment

Working...
                  X