Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting Up Outlook.com as email server

Hi All,

I am looking into using outlook.com as my email server instead of Voda and my Thunderbird download since it would be easier to check my email from anywhere that way (and I like the setup). Does anyone know if when I set it up (with my personal website info) if it will still pull all of my old emails over or will it start fresh and I will lose all of my archived info and old emails?

Also, how do I change the DNS records or whatever they are called so that I can have the emails go through them?

Thanks, Any help is appreciated.

Justin

Re: Setting Up Outlook.com as email server

Using Outlook.com is the same as using the older Hotmail.com, Gmail, or another separate email client The email identity you create there is completely separate from any Domain or other identity .... you use their interface to retrieve, review, create, and process email.

If you wish to "process" email conveniently on a local system 'automatically" and have those email's identity reflect your Domain in the name (which also allows you to reply using the same email address and any signatures and "stationery' you customize), you will need to use instead the Windows-based Outlook Email software (part of the Microsoft Office suite). This will allow your emails to be "polled" and "delivered" to whatever device you intend to use: once they are polled from your Domain Hosting Server, they are deleted from the server -- unless you select "Save Copy On Server" in cPanel AND regularly monitor the server capacity of stored emails to clean them out/off to make room for newer incoming email.

Once you have created an email address account via cPanel on a Domain hosted at VodaHost, you can then configure Outlook to process you emails:

OUTLOOK 2003, 2007 SETUP INSTRUCTIONS

Once the account is added -- you will ADD EMAIL ACCOUNT and create a User name (username@yourdomainname.com) and password in your cPanel at VodaHost, you will need to also add the same account in Outlook:

1. Open Outlook, and click on > TOOLS > EMAIL ACCOUNTS

2. Click > ADD EMAIL ACCOUNT

3. Click > POP3 ACCOUNT

4. Enter top left "User Information" section the User Name as created (Name ; Full.Name ; Full_Name, etc.)

5. Enter email address using all lower case (user @domainname.com)

6. In entering "Logon Information" User Name is email address all lower case and use the "+" symbol instead of the "@" symbol: user+domain.com
    It is important you use the "+" symbol here and not the "@" symbol!

7. Enter PASSWORD as created

8. Tick "Remember Password" box

9. Enter "Incoming POP3" server and "Outgoing SMTP" server the same information: mail.domainname.com

10. Click > MORE SETTINGS button > GENERAL tab, enter User Name Complete (i.e. Susan Smith / Company Name)

11. Click > OUTGOING SERVER tab, tick box "My Outgoing (SMTP) Server Requires Authentication"

12. Click > ADVANCED tab, move "Timeout" slide a bit, and reset to "1 minute 30 seconds"

13. Click > OK to return to setup dialog, click on > TEST ACCOUNT SETTINGS to send test email. Should be successful....if not, is usually a connection glitch, or a false "read" by Outlook itself. Most of the time you will discover an email successfully sent when opening Outlook again once it is shut down and 'resets' itself with new configurations = saving settings.

14. Click > NEXT to finish setup! You're done!

REMEMBER!
    Outlook will "poll" emails from the server, and once copied down, they are removed from the server permanently and stored in the Outlook program installed on the local system for viewing, storing, actioning, etc. Running Outlook on 2 computers means that only one can connect and receive emails at a time, and whatever emails are delivered to a local system will not be “shared” to another (once downloaded, they are downloaded).

>> EMAIL TUTORIALS
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Working...
    X