This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am Lost!

So I am working on a forum for my website and I was in my admin area and it says I do not have current version (I used Fantastico so the one there is what was installed! I downloaded the automatic update package and then it says
    Upload the complete uncompressed install folder to your phpBB root directory (where your config.php file is).
    I know this means the root directory that is name forum to upload to, but I am not understanding how to get everything uploaded in the folder named install! What I mean is do I have to install it all one by one or is there an easier way to do this?
    Tina
    ADHD-BiPolar-Child.com

Re: I am lost

Having followed your progress across the boards for a while now, I am under the assumption that if you followed the simple, easy-to-understand instructions provided earlier (Don't Understand AddOn Creation, Confused Installing WP, Forum Installation Error Message), you would have installed both a phpBB Forum AND a Wordpress Blog into separate and distinctly named Directories that Fantastico! would create automatically FOR you on the ADHD-BiPolar-Child.com domain --- which is in fact an Add-On Domain to your hosting account Primay Domain, Make-Money-From-Home-2013.com.
    This is as it should be --- the Forum and Blog both need to be installed within their separate Directories that is created for them, and NOT installed in the Root Directory ("public_html/") where the BlueVoda-created website (that we recently worked on) is published to.

Just because there is a "notice" that your phpBB version is out of date doesn't mean anything ..... the most stable, current version that is auto-installed for you is fine, and requires no such immediate compelling motivation to "upgrade" or change things whatsoever. In fact, those who think they are doing themselves a favor by changing things find out later that their "new" Forum (or Blog) does not have the same assortment of Plug-in's available, and that their "new" installation may be "the most current version" available, but severely limited with regard to functions and features that are so useful.

Think very carefully the ramifications of plunging headlong into such projects .... it seems you have something of a difficulty giving the instructions, steps, and required tasks the attention that is required (with 6 kids, likely you are distracted to frustration, I'm sure!), so keep in mind all things WWW require a unique ability to focus if to get the results possible. You need to have a written website Plan to follow, and which will become the skeleton upon which you will build an UNDERSTANDING that is so critical.
    My advice is to install and use what you can easily install first, and spend some time to get used to things, learning the new technology, and being able to better define your path before striving to have the most up-to-date and shiny tech toy on the block ....

If necessary since you are just getting started and do not have hundreds (if not thousands) of posted articles and comments to worry about migrating and/or losing, un-install phpBB in whatever shape it is, and re-install it and start working with it, ignoring any "notices" that are blithely sent out. You are completely safe using the version in Fantastico, and have nothing to worry about.
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Re: I am lost

If necessary since you are just getting started and do not have hundreds (if not thousands) of posted articles and comments to worry about migrating and/or losing, un-install phpBB in whatever shape it is, and re-install it and start working with it, ignoring any "notices" that are blithely sent out. You are completely safe using the version in Fantastico, and have nothing to worry about.
      Got Ya :) Thank You....now off to install Forum and Blog and learn...learn.....learn :)
      Tina
      ADHD-BiPolar-Child.com

Comment

Working...
      X