Newbie Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Question

First of all I would like to say hello to everyone.

I've done alot of searching on this site and all of your posts are really encouraging. A few minutes ago I posted in a wrong area and I was concerned that I wasn't sure if I could pull this off (building a website). Still not sure but willing to give it darn good try after reading these posts.

I have a couple of questions that I'd like to talk about with anyone that has time.

Is building a website really that easy (plan ahead, do the tutorials)? I have pretty much only "basic computer skills"
    I'd like to try and get a few businesses to advertise or possibly charge to view my site. Has anyone done this and have any tips to share? Or ideas...good or bad?

I want to thank all that take the time to reply and let you know that I've been looking at the websites that some of you have built and they're really good. You all should be really proud of yourselves!

Thanks again,
    DG

Re: Newbie Question

Yes, if you want to build a website, you can do it!

It would be easier to add affiliates than to sell ad space - especially when you're new. But that would also depend on what you're website is about and what type of advertisers you'd be looking for.

I'm not sure what you mean about charging people to view your site. I know I wouldn't pay. Now, if you had something downloadable, etc that you were charging people to download, that's a possibility.

Maybe if you explain a bit more about what you're wanting to build.
    Beth
    A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
    SEO - The Basics

Comment

Thanks for the help/ideas Bethers!

It would be more like an e-zine, targeting a certain group of kids and also a spot for parents. I was thinking about a monthly subsciption or yearly. Nothing to expensive. The site will have a forum for these kids, stories (good and bad), tips and advice and more ( I just can't think right now ). It would be alot of work on our part here keeping it going that's why I was thinking about charging a fee.Once we get it up and running it will be a great thing ( I hope ).

What do you mean by adding affiliates? I'm pretty green at this! Sorry!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dubai Girl
        Thanks for the help/ideas Bethers!

It would be more like an e-zine, targeting a certain group of kids and also a spot for parents. I was thinking about a monthly subsciption or yearly. Nothing to expensive. The site will have a forum for these kids, stories (good and bad), tips and advice and more ( I just can't think right now ). It would be alot of work on our part here keeping it going that's why I was thinking about charging a fee.Once we get it up and running it will be a great thing ( I hope ).

What do you mean by adding affiliates? I'm pretty green at this! Sorry!!
        I'll let Bethers address your affiliates question because it's impolite to butt in, but I do not recommend ever attempting to charge people to access your site unless you have some amazing content. It's much wiser to allow free access and rely on advertising/affiliate sales to generate revenue.
        My NASCAR Forum

Comment

Okay, good to know. Thanks!!!

Comment

I have to agree no charging I would not come back. Also if you are marketing toward children you get into parental permission... I know of some gaming sites that have a donate button. The money is donated by the users to help pay the costs of their game servers. But they don't require payments you can play for free.

The big question...yes you can build a web site!!! And the people here are wonderful!! Very kind and helpful. (sense of humor recommended but not required)
            -------------------------------------------
            Shelly

www.ohs****sagleidaho.com

Comment

Thanks, BTW, I was on your website last night. I wasn't sure what it would be about and loved your name once I got on...Oh s****! Too good!!

I will take into consideration what you've all said. I actually have paid for websites and found that because I paid I was on it all the time. The website started as free then eventually became a pay site. I didn't like that but wanted to see what was on it every other week. It was my own little addiction. Definately got my moneys worth. But, I will listen and take all advice and eventually do what works for us.

I am curious about affiliates and how that works. I saw on your website that you have ads by google...is that an affiliate or what?

Thanks guys! I look forward to waking up in the morning and looking to see if anyone has replied to my questions. Definately a good group and yes sense of humour should be required.

Comment

Ads by Google and Ads by Yahoo and some others aren't officially called affiliates, but yes, they can make you money.

Affiliates are when you have links to sites that will pay you a commission if people click on them and buy. They all have different rules.

I agree with the others about sites you pay for. Yes, there are some that I can see people paying - but not many. Kind of like some of the singles/dating sites you have to pay for some features. But you would really have to have a dynamite product and one very in demand to require someone to pay to come to the site. Just for info, no, I think not. But if you make the site one people really want to come to - and add affiliates and ads by google and/or yahoo - you can make money that way.

Just make sure that the ads and affiliates you ad to the site have something to do with what's on the site. It doesn't do any good to have affiliate banners for a product that isn't what your visitors are there and interested in - actually can hurt.
                Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
                SEO - The Basics

Comment

Thanks, I agree with you 100%....BTW, I loved your website aswell. Too bad my kids have outgrown those sweet things!

Is it difficult to get affiliates? I don't mind hard work!

DG

Comment

It's really not hard to get affiliates at all - they usually look at it as the more affiliates they have, the more money they can make. The hard part is finding the ones YOU want to have. Having the wrong ones can hurt you. So look closely - are they someone you want to represent? And are they a product/service that will be a good target for the people who will be coming to your website.

You mentioned children - which would mean you'd want to make sure everyone you use would be child friendly. That doesn't mean just for children, but that their parents would feel comfortable with you representing also.

Hope this helps.
                    Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
                    SEO - The Basics

Comment

You're great!

Thanks!!

Comment

Working...
                      X