Setting Page Guides

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting Page Guides

Not so much a tip, more of a must do! ..especially if your a beginner like me, this has saved me more time and hard work than anything else.

If you do this when you first open a page in BV web builder it will save you a lot of time consumming work later on.

Step1. Open up page in BV web builder

Step2. Go to Layout at the top of the page next to tools.

Step3. Scroll down to guide settings.

Step4. Tick box that says "show guide borders" theres also a grid, I use both.

Step5. Set page width to 800 x600 tho the (600) length isnt that important.

Step6. Click ok... your done

Now when you look at your page you will see a dotted line around the area you need to work within.

The dotted line at the bottom isnt so important as its better to have to scroll up and down rather than from side to side (sideways scroll)

The dotted line to the right of your page is the one to look out for, keep all your work, Images, text, shapes, etc to the left or just on the dotted line. and you will never have a sidways scroll and always check your page width before saving

Hope this helps you as it has helped me
    Click the link below for page guidelines (no more sideways scroll)

http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/sho...eferrerid=5490

How to Center your page
    http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/blu...tml#post124746

Re: Setting Page Guides

Good guide (excuse the pun) Linda.....that should help a lot of people.
    Have fun
    Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
    Newbies / Beginners Forum
    FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
    My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
    Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Comment

Thank you David.. i hope so...it did me

How to Center your page

Comment

I set the guide lines up and now it looks like i need to reduce my page by 25% in width...so how come it looks ok in my browser?

Oh dear, i think it's way past my bedtime, i have a funny feeling there's gonna be a very simple solution that i'm just not seeing.
        ~Jan~

Jan's Place
        The Life n' Time's of Lady J'
        Picture This!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        God made man....then he had a better idea!
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by xxjanxx
          I set the guide lines up and now it looks like i need to reduce my page by 25% in width...so how come it looks ok in my browser?

Oh dear, i think it's way past my bedtime, i have a funny feeling there's gonna be a very simple solution that i'm just not seeing.
          Different people have their pc display settings set to different resolutions. That is why it looks different from one to another. The best way around this is, as Linda says, to use a page width of 800 px and centre it. You build your page butt up to the left hand side and chose 'centre in browser' on the page properties tab. That way whoever looks will see a neat site in the centre of their browser. (To see the effect take a quick peek at mine).

VodaHost

Your Website People!
          1-302-283-3777 North America / International
          02036089024 / United Kingdom
          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Ive done all of the instructions and my question is what if the page layout is larger than that...I have somethings that are wider than the allowed 800 like the header for example...
            Its funny that this is here as my nephew was very put off when he had to scroll side to side...he said that he just doesnt bother with it, if he can see it imediately he doesnt look!

Comment

Same here Kate lol ...its my pet hate that why i did this ... you cant make your banner smaller or get smaller buttons? ... you have a big space on your home page that doesnt need the heading changed ...just keep inside of the line on the right.. you can always go down the page ...people dont mind scrolling downwards ...try it ...:o)

How to Center your page

Comment

For some reason Im having a hard time understanding why I cant reset my original web page. (index.html)...I have started a "new" index and its going fine! and fits the screen/so side scroll all that!..but I have tried several ways to lesson the original and it just doesnt do it..funny stuff!
                GREAT NEW SITE BUILDER!...downloaded and using it now!

Comment

You'll get there Kate ;o)

How to Center your page

Comment

Hey check it out! I think I figured it out and for my puter in IE,Firefox, and Aol it looks ok!

Comment

Thank you Linda,

I wish the fat pages would all go away. I didn't understand about the setting till I had already started publishing my site. I tried to do the same thing by Keeping everything to the left, and now I have space to the right
                      for adds. Now any adds that might distract from the text can only be seen by scrolling. I hope no potential add agents read this declaration. but after all, the page you make is like a movie and the adds are like comercials, just a nesessary evil. one that shouldn't distract.

You could be the new "Tammy Fey" as we all praise the 600 club.
                      ( an America joke )
                      Kate Please join the club

Comment

Originally posted by Girlonthehill
                        Different people have their pc display settings set to different resolutions. That is why it looks different from one to another. The best way around this is, as Linda says, to use a page width of 800 px and centre it. You build your page butt up to the left hand side and chose 'centre in browser' on the page properties tab. That way whoever looks will see a neat site in the centre of their browser. (To see the effect take a quick peek at mine).
                        Hi Amanda,

I just wanted to comment as to how beautiful your site looks and just to let you know how impressed I am. I'm one of the ones that took a peek!

I'm a first time newbie with website building and certainly with this forum. Quite honestly I chose to go with VodaHost because I saw how nice and helpful people seem to be on this forum!

By the way, I saw the way you have your signature curling like a real sig on your site. How do you do that?

Meanwhile, thanks to you and everyone else on how to set the page guides!

Comment

Animated signatures;
                          http://netisopen.com/computer/web/animated.html

Andy
                          PHP- is a blast!

Comment

Originally posted by Lincslady
                            Not so much a tip, more of a must do! ..especially if your a beginner like me, this has saved me more time and hard work than anything else.

If you do this when you first open a page in BV web builder it will save you a lot of time consumming work later on.

Step1. Open up page in BV web builder

Step2. Go to Layout at the top of the page next to tools.

Step3. Scroll down to guide settings.

Step4. Tick box that says "show guide borders" theres also a grid, I use both.

Step5. Set page width to 800 x600 tho the (600) length isnt that important.

Step6. Click ok... your done

Now when you look at your page you will see a dotted line around the area you need to work within.

The dotted line at the bottom isnt so important as its better to have to scroll up and down rather than from side to side (sideways scroll)

The dotted line to the right of your page is the one to look out for, keep all your work, Images, text, shapes, etc to the left or just on the dotted line. and you will never have a sidways scroll and always check your page width before saving

Hope this helps you as it has helped me
                            Hi Linda, Good tip, but surely designing for an 800 wide display is a little antiquated? In my experience stats show that more than 70% of users now have a screen setting of 1024 wide - on most of my sites I've used a Bravenet Hit Counter with Stats and these stats definitely show that the larger setting is the majority and certainly doing a search on this confirms it?

Nice to see another UK user here on Bluevoda - What a great product?

Brian

Comment

Even if that 70% estimate is acccurate, that means you're shutting out three of every ten visitors to your site if you're building your pages with a width larger than 800.
                              My NASCAR Forum

Comment

Working...
                              X