general advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• general advice

Hello, My dame is David, I am new to building websites. I have began the process and have some general questions.

My website will not be for commercial use, It's basicaly for family and friends and sharing my music and my wifes photographs and such.

Here is what I want to do...

Stream and be able to download High quality original MP3's (from 128k to 250k)

Stream and download music and other type of tutorial vids (from 10mb to perhaps 1 gig)

Share pictures and some study books on various things that I have never published ( in a text form, maybe later in adobe pdf).

So here's my questions...

1. I'm thinking the music files and the vids should be put into a seperate folder and uploaded to the ftp for faster downloading. Correct?

2. Should I go ahead and publish, now that I have the basic idea of what I want my site to look like,and tweak and polish it from there?

3. What is the best way to aproach streaming the vids and music files? For ex. Do I also need to put links to certain players and upgrades of those players?

Any help on the mp3 and video files would be helpful.

Dave.

Re: general advice

Dave,
    1. Under http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/blu...shortcuts.html you will find a Tip covering adding music.
    2. Good idea to publish and make sure your links work the way you want them to. Also and if you want to, ask for feedback in the Promote Your Website section, very useful tips. You can always go back and setup an "under construction" page until your page is ready.

Good luck.
    Bill
    www.blueearthtea.com
    www.ftaaconsulting.com
    www.iaval.com
    www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

djrocker-
      Welcome to BV. I have a personal / family site as you described. I have some video on it and provide video tutorials in the computer section. I will also have a bit of music on here in the near future.

Listening to music and downloading is no problem. There are built in music players and you can up-load and list your music. If you click here;
      Multi-player for website
      http://rainbow.arch.scriptmania.com/...ic_player.html

This is a great little multi-list music player.

As to streaming audio and video. You mention 10mb to 1 gig. Keep in mind- as much as you might want to keep it private- it is the world wide web and google will find you. Your little audience of family might get quite a bit larger than you anticipate and those large videos will eat up your monthly alloted bandwith. Just a word of caution. Might even want to put those things in a password protected folder for access to only those you want to have it.

To stream- give this a look;
      http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/add...treaming+audio

If you wish- take a look at my site for some ideas.

Cheers ,

Andy
      PHP- is a blast!

Comment

Bill and Andy, thanx alot guys for the quick response. I'm realy new to all this so I will take the info you gave me and chew it realy well before applying.

Andy I appreciate the words of caution on the vids. I will try to keep them down to a smaller size. The vids will be mostly used for guitar instruction, and I can always break the lessons down into several smaller blocks.

I'm still working on my pages and trying to organize files and folders at the moment. I should be ready to publish soon though. I'll be asking more questions before long, you can count on that! So hang around I'll be needing more input.

Comment

Bill2006 :

When you invite someone to a password protected forum shouldn,t
          you offer the PASSWORD . Email it to me please CircusPet@msn.com

Comment

Keith,
            I tried to download that costant music loop program you offered,
            but it didn't download. Think I'll see what I can find on my own. Thanks anyway or should I say WHATEVER

Comment

Dave-

It is not a download. Copy the HTML and then you can paste it into an HTML box on your web page. Then simply list your songs as instructed- and then up-load the songs to the server.

Maybe a little much for you right now. I will prepare a tutorial on this and when your ready- contact me via my site below and I will give you the link to it. Or- simply check back at the link below and see what I have added to the tutorials in the near future.

Andy
              PHP- is a blast!

Comment

Originally posted by Andy128
                Dave-

It is not a download. Copy the HTML and then you can paste it into an HTML box on your web page. Then simply list your songs as instructed- and then up-load the songs to the server.

Maybe a little much for you right now. I will prepare a tutorial on this and when your ready- contact me via my site below and I will give you the link to it. Or- simply check back at the link below and see what I have added to the tutorials in the near future.

Andy

I'm a little slow getting back ....but thanx Andy!

Comment

Ok I'm back, and I know what I want to do but I am still unclear about how to do it. I want my music files to work like this tip below where you can either stream or download.

http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/blu...ing-music.html

If I understand correctly he is saying to create a sub domain in control panel and link the files to the subdomain.

I'm not familiar with the control panel section yet. So far I have uploaded about 10 mp3's into the public FTP [SUB-DIR] folder titled my_music. I want the fastest download time possible.

Could someone help clarify how I can achieve this in laymens terms? I am html code illiterate and computer stupid.

Here is my site url I would like to upload to the music link.

http://davidjsims.com/

Comment

Morning David,

There are many -many ways to play music from your website. There are many scripts out there from easy to mild to difficult. So- If you want the simplest method try this.
                    Create a web-page that you wish people to go and listen to music if they wish. Have this page open in a window by its self using the target as _blank. That way- they can minimize the window and continue surfing and not loose the music connection.

Then open an HTML box and paste the following code;
                    <embed src="yourmusic.mid"
                    width="150" height="40" autostart="false" loop="FALSE">
                    </embed>
                    Exchange the name of your music file (deathlepoard1.mp3) with
                    the blue portion of the script.

Do this for each song you have. So you would have 10 small little music
                    control panels. Along the way- label them with the title of each song.

Save and publish to the same folder - www.yourdomain.com/my_music/mymusicpage.html
                    that holds your music (i.e.- my_music)
                    *this uses mymusicpage as an example of the webpage you make for your visitors.

Thats it!

Enjoy

Andy- ( if your up for a challenge we can have one player play music selected from pull-down menu) Give this one a try for now.
                    PHP- is a blast!

Comment

Please be fully aware that you are not permitted to have MP3's on our servers. (Unless you are the artist)

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                      1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                      02036089024 / United Kingdom
                      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Thanks *****- I was not aware of that. Good to know. I assume that includes all music files?

Andy
                        PHP- is a blast!

Comment

Nevermind, I figured it out again lol! I created a sub domain uploaded the files and linked the names of the songs to the subdomain, works like a charm.

Comment

Originally posted by VodaHost
                            Please be fully aware that you are not permitted to have MP3's on our servers. (Unless you are the artist)
                            Yes I am the artist, feel free to check 'em out or download lol!

Comment

David-

The one song you have posted is really good. Nice work. Can't wait to hear more.

Andy
                              PHP- is a blast!

Comment

Working...
                              X