HELP PLEASE... OK I've got some pages published, but

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP PLEASE... OK I've got some pages published, but

Please keep in mind that I am brand new at all of this stuff...

Okay I've finally got some pages published; I've fixed my header & title, and that crazy color changing...
    ...But now how do I get my pages more centered so you don't have to scroll a mile off to the right?
    I have a total of like 15 pages to publish (no kidding)
    – I should probably have them fixed (centered right) before publishing them all??? So far I've only published about 3 pages.

I worked so hard on trying to get them all evened up... obviously I didn’t do it right!
    After I get it fixed - that is if any one can help me - Please tell me how to fix it…
    ... do I just republish the page?
    Same question for if I ever wanted to update something on the page do I just republish the page again? Does it automatically replace itself and does it delete or replace the old file? Or are they left on there forever until I delete them by hand?

Sorry but I'm getting a bit overwhelmed.
    I’m trying to get this done like yesterday, and I’m tired.
    Please help…
    Becky
    www.candcshires.com

Re: HELP PLEASE... OK I've got some pages published, but

Read this post by Linslady to make it easier on your self...

http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/bluevoda-tips-tricks-shortcuts/7628-setting-page-guides.html?highlight=page+guidelines

Also right click anywhere on the page and choose Page Properties.

When the dialog box opens ...click in the 'center in browser' option .
    Beezz
    sigpic

http://www.bzzybeezwordz.blogspot.com

Comment

Another problem I’m having now -
      I’ve published some pages - on those pages it said they published successfully, but they aren't showing up I have doubled & tripled checked the links – the links are all correct. Where do my pages go? I've republished successfully twice on one page? Any suggestions?

Beezzz -
      Thanks, but the link you gave me http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/blu...age+guidelines
      is not working - it says it has been deleted.
      I've set the 'center in browser' option like you've suggested. I'm republishing my index page now. Hopefully it will publish. Some times it takes forever.
      Thanks for the help - I'll write again when it posts and let you know how it looks. :) Becky

Oops
      I got your link to work and have read it! thanks I'll defiantly be doing that from now on! Thanks again... Do you know why my pages aren't showing up? see my post two prior this one.
      Beck

Comment

Try refreshing your browser to get the "new version" loaded......
        . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
        * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Did you save each page and publish each too?

BTW, very nice horses.
          Bill
          www.blueearthtea.com
          www.ftaaconsulting.com
          www.iaval.com
          www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

jsut to point out that the pics on home page are all distorted? and it takes forver to load for me too try pic resizer from the voda downloads its free and will make it load faster
            The get vasili to join our forum campaign has begun

www.thatgoodsite.com and our forum of fun also starring my hero vasili
            Weve got movies,arcade,radio,T.V,chat,music,funny vids,jokes and lots and lots of fun for free

Comment

Becky-

You have a really fine site in the works! I am sure you will get this publishing issue resolved soon, but I would like to point one element in your design that is just a bit beyond what is generally considered as "standard practice" with regard to your webpage size....

It is common knowledge that more than 90% of all websites are created within parameters of page size (width) to enable the vast majority of visitors unimpeded complete viewing of your pages, without scrolling from side-to-side or even minimally up and down. The fact that most computer users do not reset their browser/monitor settings (they simply don't know how) beyond the "out-of-the-box" settings of 800 pixels wide and 600 pixels tall predicate that this be the base from which we design our webpages to fit.

Your web pages are beyond even the up-and-coming standard of 1024x768, settling around 1400 pixels wide! This is really something you should seriously reconsider reformatting before you create too many pages, which could possibly present a more burdensome task to accomplish!!!

From what I have seen so far, you have more than ample room to tighten up your layout, and minimal resizing of elements to acommodate the resizing I am suggesting. In truth, it will also be more pleasing to the eye, appearing more cognizantly organized and balanced. The sub-conscious eye picks up things like this immediately, which will translate into a feeling of comfort, familiarity (based on preconditioned expectations), and acceptance (what we know to be proper).

I would suggest that you attempt to resize your site at 800 wide ..... 805 max.
              (Most carts, forums, etc. all come with templates preformatted around 765-775, for example)
              You might see natural reforming of layout height-wise (which is acceptable), but try to remember to keep all important information and usable links "above the fold" (no lower than 575 pixels from the top of your web page - this is the bottom of the commonly viewable screen in all monitors at "box" settings).

I am sorry to have brought this to your attention at this late juncture, but maybe later is better than not at all, or when you had finished and had to consider changing a complete website??

Best to you, and I'll check back for a reply and to check on your status....

Comment

Thanks to you all for the helpful tips... But After I opened up the Layout grids... and figured out how little that tiny space is that is referred to as: width 800 x 600 ...
                I about fainted.

Ok … no really I took a deep breath and just started to re-create - but I’m too tired to do any more tonight. I think I have it figured out as to how I'll get it all to fit in that little box...
                With the exception that I will probably need some more help with some kind of template for my side bar and header - I'm having a bit of a hard time with that. But if you looked at what I’ve done so far, you see kind of what I’m trying to do…?

If you’ll take a look at a friend of my friends website, It will kind of give you guys an idea of where I’m going.. Sort of any how- But my will be a bit different _ I’m trying for better ;)
                I like her lay out maybe you could explain how she did that (the borders and getting it all centered). But I want to keep my navigation bars like I have them not like hers.
                http://www.dkspainthorses.com you’ll see where I got a lot of my graphics too…

I’m exhausted for tonight... but I’m sure I’ll be back at this tomorrow..
                Thanks again for the help… I have a lot of pages to redo…

see ya all again tomorrow (I hope)
                Becky

Comment

Hello out there... Okay I've been back at this since 7:00 or so this morning... I'm really having a hard time with designing a format (or back ground template) that works - I want to stay somewhat consistent with all my pages i.e.: navigation bar in the same place on every page etc...

Did any of you get a chance to look at my friend of a friend’s website?
                  http://www.dkspainthorses.com?
                  I like her lay out –
                  Does anyone know how she did the boarder like that? And centered it all? She is not doing websites any more, and at the moment in the middle of a large move out of state with all her horses... so she has no time to talk to me about how she did any of that.
                  I'm lost... I have a lot of pages to redo and in a hurry. I should have had this website up all ready… so I’m under a bit of pressure and stressing.
                  So any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!
                  - Becky

Comment

Yes, I did. I dont think that was built with BV.
                    Her site has very long pages.
                    The layout is nice, however a lot of pics take a long time to load -and I have broadband. I would not have the patience on dial-up.
                    Even if you copy her general style, give it your touch and center your pages, its an elegant page/activity.
                    Bill
                    www.blueearthtea.com
                    www.ftaaconsulting.com
                    www.iaval.com
                    www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

Becky....
                      I know you are in a hurry, but it took me about 2 days before I could actually think of how and then produce something I could settle for: I did it in Publisher (just because I had it already, and for my teensy brain, it took a short learning curve!)

Using Word Art, borders, and frames, and 'tiles', I fiddled around until I came up with a colorized and textured version along the lines of what I had in mind. Then I saved it as an image (the save-as JPG option) so I could resize, crop, and apply it to the web. You might have to lay-in a "page" over the "frame" to cover the space (insert object, and colorize it appropriately - it's OK since it's all done in Windows tints).
                      You can even search through the options of textures/backgrounds in Publisher to note the "address" of the file, then go in Windows to "copy" the file to your BV folder, essentially recreating it as a resource to insert....I did this to get custom "backgrounds" into BV, resizing them super-huge and "sending them to back" ...
                      **You can even insert "tiles" into a WordArt object to further texture/customize fonts, frames, borders, etc. (In Publisher, that is)

I try to remind myself to "Think Linear" like a computer to undersatnd the logistics I am trying to manipulate with my creativity......

Comment

Maybe I can do something for you and simply email it....lemme see if I can remember....(I'll look again to get your colors)

Comment

Check your email for 2 versions of a made-from-scratch 3d frame in your color scheme.....

Comment

Vasili...
                            Thanks, but what email did you send that to? I didn't get it (might have been deleted if it went to the junk mail) could you resend it to dakcoda1@starband.net & I'll keep a watch for it :)
                            I haven't messed with setting up the email for voda yet -

Any how thanks again for doing that... I feel kind of bad now though, because I figured out some stuff.
                            have you seen what I've done so far? I pretty much changed the whole color thing, but I'm not exactly 100% okay with it.
                            But I have so many to do... pages that is. Do you by chance know why my pages still aren't centered? I checked all the boxes to get them centered & am working within that tiny box of 800x600

I am still having some trouble publishing. I hit the publish button the little green bars start to go then it times out or freezes.. About the 10th try it finally will go all the way.. ? Is it by chance because I have super slow satellite? Or could it be something else? I turned of my firewall off just to see if that would help -but Nope!

I'm super tired again.. I've been at this all day! Since 7 am so I'm giving up for the night. I'll check back in tomorrow.
                            Beck
                            www.candcshires.com

Comment

Like DUH!!! I didn't have Outlook on, so it's coming now (it gets annoying to constantly get 'boinged' from incoming while I work online, so I keep it off usually after hours....that's why I get avg. 650 eavery morning?? Whew!).
                              I'm re-sending to this email also, just in case it's different...

Comment

Working...
                              X