Warning - joking aside-

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warning - joking aside-

I wanted to post this for the few that havent seen it. This is my first encounter with recieving it for myself and man they ARE good! I belong to (Im sorry) other photography forums and there we have all been goofing over these. But I thought that for the newbie that is anxious to make their first million and may get more excited than cautious this was a good thing to be introduced to. Now note to those that dont know my area. This is all legitimate places,names,etc. It, for those who know my area, looks very real. Now I plan to call the church to alert them. And also the local police.
    heres the email I recieved this morning :

Hello,
    How is Business today?
    My name is Mrs Dolly Gbabs. I am an handicap and i reside in U.K.
    The reason i am contacting you is that my Sons will be getting married soon in Vermont,United States on the 26th of August 2006 and I will like you to take care of the Photographs.
    The address for the wedding is at Community Bible Church Assembly of God,2025 Williston Road,South Burlington, VT 05403.
    I came across your advert on the Internet and am impressed with your services.
    All expenses would be taken care of,Please I want the best service from you, because this is my only Son so I want the best for him. So your best effort is needed at this occasion.
    Pls Let me know your price to work for 4 Hours on that day,12 noon to 4 pm in the evening.We want about 40 copies of different photos in coloured form in the church and reception and of both the bride and the bridegroom,their parents, the officiating ministers and our guests.
    We want you to work for at least 4 Hours at the occasion.
    Also,we will have the photographs snapped at the wedding forwarded to the Publisher of a Magazine Company in United Kingdom so they could feature it in their celebrity journal.
    I look forward to your response
    Pls email me soon :dollygbabs******.co.uk
    Best Regards
    Mrs Dolly Gbabs

Always be sceptical. Always look into any business transaction to make sure it is on the up and up. This is very good advice...

Re: Warning - joking aside-

...and ANYTHING from Nigeria, Lagos, Sera Leone, Estonia, Russia, etc.

(Hint: check out the header of the email to see if it's addressed to you perfectly, ot just faked in on the server)

Phishing has been around a LONG time, but it still suckers someone!
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Kate,
      How did you discover that this was not genuine?
      Have fun
      Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
      Newbies / Beginners Forum
      FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
      My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
      Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Comment

what do they get out of it???
        The get vasili to join our forum campaign has begun

www.thatgoodsite.com and our forum of fun also starring my hero vasili
        Weve got movies,arcade,radio,T.V,chat,music,funny vids,jokes and lots and lots of fun for free

Comment

Wow...you never know..good catch Kate...hope I'm as savvy and warns me to keep an eye out. Thanks for the warning.
          Beezz
          sigpic

http://www.bzzybeezwordz.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by allstarfaces
            what do they get out of it???
            Ditto with allstar ?. Apart from the name thats like Dona kebab
            Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

First off I had been reading of a similiar scam within a forum of photographers I belong to. Then after I did some research and found this thread in a forum:
              http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.u...6&page=1&pp=10

then how does it work? Well heres the article from CBC news:
              http://www.cbc.ca/bc/story/bc_wedding-sca****60616.html

Instead of getting all excited as I like to...lol...You have to stop and ask yourself...hmmm..would I send that kind of money to a stranger? Well especially when I dont even DO weddings..lol..thats the first sign..
              ALWAYS:
              Question
              Research
              Google
              Snopes
              Call - I plan to make some calls on Monday. The church and the police. I doubt the police care about email scams..but this is a very small state and they may.
              Find out if the people that are sending the request is in fact reliable..In the news article the person was on the phone and all talking personally with this supposed client!...\
              dont spend money to make money off a customer. thats just nuts..
              bee on guard and always beee suspicious!

Comment

Aha, the links explained the scam. Must admit we are not all so diligent at times & can be caught out. I nearly got caught on eBay once with a look alike email before all the warnings went out years ago. As soon as I sent the reply something in me said, you idiot, & I canceled the card in the next minute.
                (I was lucky)

Always good to be reminded of these scams to keep you on your toes.

Chris.
                Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Hi guys,

About the CBC link, that's truly right, I'm living in Dubai now, and I know that is a big scam here, I'm preparing myself to leave and go home, but I'll be always a genuine Bv.

The Producer
                  The Producer

Comment

I agree about all the scams - but I haven't seen where this person offered to pay you in a scam fashion? Am I missing something? I've had this scam to me on all my websites - but always they have talked about how they would pay in the return email so that I know they are a scam. I've also had similar emails from legitimate customers - so unless it's from Lagos, Nigeria, etc - I do respond and give the legitimate people a chance to work it out.

I do tend to believe this is a scam mainly because of them saying they'll give you advertising, etc over there - which really wouldn't do you much good anyway.
                    Beth
                    A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
                    SEO - The Basics

Comment

Originally posted by Bethers
                      I agree about all the scams - but I haven't seen where this person offered to pay you in a scam fashion? Am I missing something? I've had this scam to me on all my websites - but always they have talked about how they would pay in the return email so that I know they are a scam. I've also had similar emails from legitimate customers - so unless it's from Lagos, Nigeria, etc - I do respond and give the legitimate people a chance to work it out.

I do tend to believe this is a scam mainly because of them saying they'll give you advertising, etc over there - which really wouldn't do you much good anyway.
                      Absolutely Beth, Always give the benefit of the doubt, for those who are genuine. But if you look at my site you will see that I dont do weddings, I dont advertise to do weddings, ect... so being reluctant is a good thing...some people like me ..lol..see a job..and whoo hoo!...and forget to look into it.
                      I look at myself - If my only child were to be getting married in another country or even within the country. -
                      Why would I go with an unknown proven person for such an intimate event.
                      either my child or the future spouse would know the area or why would they have chosen it.
                      So they would know a local or a recomended photographer that would do the job.
                      This debate was dicussed on a different forum I belong to all with professional photographers..and for at least this side of businesses, its becoming quite large. One has to become a P.I to make sure that you dont loose money that you cant afford to!
                      Yes, that got me too...lol...oh we will make you a star!...haha...loved that one!...

Comment

I just hate emails - I usually have about 1% that are really for me. I got one the other day that looked genuine, but when I looked at the 'to' address it hadn't really been sent to me.

I'm getting worried I might be caught out sometime!

Good warning Kate!
                        Trish
                        www.Limebrook.com
                        www.MountainWalk.co.uk
                        www.MyBeardedDragons.co.uk
                        www.TucsonForBeginners.com
                        www.Pets4kids.info

Comment

If it sounds too good to be true then it usually is

Never Ever enter a password if asked to from within an email, no bank or other organisation will ever ask that of you.

Never believe these "how to make a million in one year" adverts. If you do believe them then you deserve to be ripped off!

Never pass emails around to your friends that a friend of a friend sent you with a joke or little ode on it, the purpose of these is to get your email address added to the "Suckers list"

NEVER reply to these con emails as the sender has more than likely guessed your email address. If you reply you are just telling him that you really do exist and then you will again get added to the "suckers list"
                          Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

Originally posted by Marincky
                            If it sounds too good to be true then it usually is

Never Ever enter a password if asked to from within an email, no bank or other organisation will ever ask that of you.

Never believe these "how to make a million in one year" adverts. If you do believe them then you deserve to be ripped off!

Never pass emails around to your friends that a friend of a friend sent you with a joke or little ode on it, the purpose of these is to get your email address added to the "Suckers list"

NEVER reply to these con emails as the sender has more than likely guessed your email address. If you reply you are just telling him that you really do exist and then you will again get added to the "suckers list"
                            lol - my favorite sucker is grape and rootbeer!...and its sweet and tasty, not bitter!...
                            yes, when I recieve the paypal,bank,and or any other informational emails, I go directly to a seperate browser and go into my account...if nothing is wrong..I then email my business with the bogus email...spammers dont much like me! .. Im sure Im not a huge thorn in thier foot, but I definately have a mark..
                            To me a spammer/and or hacker is like the snotty nosed punk at the local grocery trying to steal a pack of cigarettes, when all he needs to do is get a job!...
                            You are right - If it is too good to be true..it usually is..and the only reason "we" use the word usually is because just once in a lifetime....there is a God!...lol

Comment

Working...
                            X