This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "temporary" site?

I have a website hosted and managed by another company (small independent) but I want to "redesign it". I'm currently learning how to build my own site here (still not sure if going bluevoda or soho) and want the transition of my "store" to be as seamless as possible...

I do not want the other site to know I'm doing this until I'm ready to "activate" my new site. But I want to keep the same domain name for my new site (i own the domain name and it is registered somewhere different than the site host). Hmmmmmm....

Is this possible if I use Soholaunch??? I assume it is with Bluevoda since that is an offline builder. Can you have a "temporary" name while testing and finishing your site?

Thanks
    still working on website!

Re: "temporary" site?

Hey!

If you use Soho or BlueVoda you can just save your pages, and if you want to know how they look like just click on preview. When you are ready, VodaHost will transfer your domain for free and you start paying for the hosting. Once 24 hours have gone by publish your pages. May I see your current site?
    Best regards,
    Jeremy

www.cornwall4rent.com

Comment

ok, so just because I set up the account with the correct domain name does not mean it is "active". that doesn't happen unti lthe site is ready and the transfer made?

I think SOHO is different than bluevoda--because soho is built online while bv is built offline---i understand the previewing of pages and all....just didn't understand the "sequence" of all of this "going live!"

Thanks for clearing that up! I'm ready to get started!

(I would prefer keeping my currrent site annonymous out of respect for the other company--not sure why, just feel strange about it.)

Comment

You can not use Soholaunch until you have a active domain name on our servers.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        1-302-283-3777 North America / International
        02036089024 / United Kingdom
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

>>>>You can not use Soholaunch until you have a active domain name on our servers.<<<<

I KNEW IT! Something told me that this would be the case.

So, if i want to keep the other site open while I build my new site on Soho...but I want to use the same domain name on my new site that i'm building....oh goodness I'm confused.

SHould I create my new site with a different domain name, and then, when it is finished, transfer the old domain name to Voda, put it on a new page redirecting my customers to my new name?? I do not want to loose my old name as I've been known by it on the web for over 6 years.

Or would I have to close my old site first, build my new one, and then reopen?

Please explain my options. Thanks so much!

Comment

Re: &quot;temporary&quot; site?

You can start your site with a new name and put a re-direction on the other site for a period of time.
            Best regards,
            Jeremy

www.cornwall4rent.com

Comment

Oh, i suspect she will not leave my site up once I leave her hosting service.
              Since I own the domain, couldn't i create a page myself using it to redirect to the new place?

Comment

Yes. What hosting service are you with right now?
                Best regards,
                Jeremy

www.cornwall4rent.com

Comment

why don't you buy another domain name to build with BV soho, then when it is finished have the old name that everyone knows point to the new site.

For e.g I had a website http://www.weddingwebsiteawards.co.uk I didn't want my host company knowing until I remade the site. So I purchased http://www.wedawards.co.uk when it was finished I pointed the first domain name to the new site so now both point to the same website
                  Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

alternatively.... and we would have to ask BV if we are allowed to do this, and also if it would work...

I have a couple of domains I don't use right now, I could lend you one to build the site on, then when you are ready just change it to your old domain name? Just a thought
                    Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

Thank you Marinckyfor your kind offer! However, I am going to do what you suggested first. I've already researched two new names so I will do that. then cross the other bridge when I get there! LOL

See! I can take a leap now and then! LOL

Comment

No problem.

Comment

Working...
                        X