Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soft edges increase size of image

Hi,

I've just realised my webpages are very heavy because I've been using soft edges on them. An image of around 20 kB suddenly leaps up to 120 when I add soft edges. Is there any way this can be stopped?

Thanks,
    Adrian

Re: Soft edges increase size of image

Should not affect the images size, or at least not significantly.
    Navaldesign
    Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
    Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Hi, every image I've used soft edges on has its size multiplied by 5 at least. I'm only using jpg, does it have anything to do with that?

Comment

If you mean images where you applied effects, it is normal that they increase in size (though not by 5!)

Please clarify what you mean "soft edges". This is usually a term for anti aliased images to get a "soft" rounded corner. Unless you mean something else...
        Navaldesign
        Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
        DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
        Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Sorry, I mean when I have an image up on blue Voda, I right click on it and select "Image effects">"Other">"Soft Edges"

Comment

Yes, this will increase the image size, as it is converted to .png. If. instead, you do this with a .png, you will only have a marginal size change.
            Navaldesign

Comment

Great thanks a lot for the help,
              Adrian

Comment

With many of the BV effects you will get a five times increase, but not with all effects. This is a case of looking at the page weight when using these effects on your images.
                Doing this is a pain in the backside, but If you have a plain white background, i would make up your image & take a snap shot of the image & convert it back to jpg, you will be able to get it back down to the original size with the effect still in place.
                It was a nice idea to introduce these effect, but not muck good if you have a lot of images on 1 page as it will really slow things down. Quick sample of image weights from 1 image.
                Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Thanks Chris!

Comment

Working...
                  X