X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many pixels to an inch?

Hi... kinda simple quetion... How many pixels to an inch?.. Thanks Doug

Re: How many pixels to an inch?

The word pixel is derived from picture element and is a single point in a graphic image. The size of a pixel in inches depends on the device being used to display the image. There is a really nice page that describes this at scantips. This page captures the resolution of your monitor and displays a rectangle that is 500 pixels wide and 200 pixels high. If you can change the resolution of your monitor or look at this page on two monitors with different resolutions you will see that the size in inches of the rectangle is different for different resolution monitors.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Originally posted by Girlonthehill
      The word pixel is derived from picture element and is a single point in a graphic image. The size of a pixel in inches depends on the device being used to display the image. There is a really nice page that describes this at scantips. This page captures the resolution of your monitor and displays a rectangle that is 500 pixels wide and 200 pixels high. If you can change the resolution of your monitor or look at this page on two monitors with different resolutions you will see that the size in inches of the rectangle is different for different resolution monitors.
      good answer Amanda - I always wondered..
      thanks
      Liz
      www.sebastopolparty.com
      www.raynordescendents.com

Ring the bells that still can ring

Comment

Originally posted by larazovich
        good answer Amanda - I always wondered..
        thanks
        Ta! I lifted it off the web 'cause I thought it was a good answer, too. LOL I cannot take the credit for the wording but will happily take it for googling the question in the first place.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Girlon the hill ... You're the best... that goes into my web source file..
          Still learning... Thanks Doug

Comment

That answer is incorrect since it has to do with scanners! If you have a 17" monitor and set the resolution at 800x600 that would be your guide to one inch and your pixels are 800x600 within that inch! Check the attributes of a picture by clicking on properties and advanced and it will tell you the pixels.

Comment

Originally posted by strahan31
              That answer is incorrect since it has to do with scanners! If you have a 17" monitor and set the resolution at 800x600 that would be your guide to one inch and your pixels are 800x600 within that inch! Check the attributes of a picture by clicking on properties and advanced and it will tell you the pixels.

WRONG .... MISS OR MR. STRAHAN .... CLICKING PROPERTIES ON AN IMAGE WILL TELL YOU THE kbs of an image

Definition: PPI stands for pixels per inch. PPI is a measurement of image resolution that defines the size an image will print. An image that is 1600 by 1200 pixels at 300ppi will print at a size of 5.3 by 4 inches. Or it could be printed at 180 ppi for a printed size of 8.89 by 6.67 inches. The higher the ppi value, the better quality print you will get--but only up to a point. 300ppi is generally considered the point of diminishing returns when it comes to ink jet printing of digital photos.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
              291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

I'm a little late here, but if you right click on your avatar and click on properties you do in fact get the image size in pixels...

Originally posted by LadyEye View Post
                WRONG .... MISS OR MR. STRAHAN .... CLICKING PROPERTIES ON AN IMAGE WILL TELL YOU THE kbs of an image

Definition: PPI stands for pixels per inch. PPI is a measurement of image resolution that defines the size an image will print. An image that is 1600 by 1200 pixels at 300ppi will print at a size of 5.3 by 4 inches. Or it could be printed at 180 ppi for a printed size of 8.89 by 6.67 inches. The higher the ppi value, the better quality print you will get--but only up to a point. 300ppi is generally considered the point of diminishing returns when it comes to ink jet printing of digital photos.

Comment

Hi Everyone
                  Here's a techie explanation of pixel resolution
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixels_per_inch ..
                  (I thought a pixel was a pixie's boyfriend ; a male pixie)
                  Doug

Comment

Good banter people! lol.

In the newspaper/print game they used to call it "dots per inch"... the average news (paper) could not handle anymore than 65 dots per inch (DPI Horizontaly) where as a glossy magazine could absorb perhaps 300+ DPI. Additionally, it was all cut and paste in the true sense. scizzors and glue.

With digital of course all that changes. Never-the-less, the principles remain the same. (monkey in, monkey out) 300ppi is definately the high end of the technology curve at this time. There used to be a saying in the film industry... "Video shows it as it is... Film shows it better than it is". This statement is becoming less true by the Digital/tech day! In my opinion, digital photography is terrific.
                    The Female Zone

Comment

How to make HTML box in pixels ??

Naval in his excellent instructions for ABVFP said to make an HTML box 100x38. I can't work out a way to do this. On the other hand I am not sure how critical the size is - it was in regards to a Captcha box.
                      Cheers,
                      Muzz

Comment

Re: How to make HTML box in pixels ??

Originally posted by zzzmuzz View Post
                        Naval in his excellent instructions for ABVFP said to make an HTML box 100x38. I can't work out a way to do this. On the other hand I am not sure how critical the size is - it was in regards to a Captcha box.
                        So why are you asking this question in this thread?

At the bottom of your BV builder is two sets of coordinates x and y and w x h

Open an html box and using the w x h (width x height) make the box 100 x 38
                        Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

Thanks...that was too obvious!
                          Cheers,
                          Muzz

Comment

Originally posted by zzzmuzz View Post
                            Thanks...that was too obvious!
                            They nearly always are lol
                            Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

Working...
                            X