• Multiple style definitions will cascade into one

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Re: What is CSS?

and in English that means????????????
    www.silver-maple.ca Lakeside camping in beautiful Northern Ontario

Comment

Hi Bitz.

CSS is a way of programming additional styles into your web pages. It was basically invented to overcome limitations with HTML programming and it is constantly being developed to incorporate additional elements.

The style sheet is the page where all your new programming will go, it will then be called by a line on each of your HTML pages which basically says "look at my style sheet and use the styling options that i have listed there".

Styles can also be added directly to each web page or added directly to individual elements on the web page. This is where the word cascading comes in....

If you apply a style to say... a hyperlink on your page... then that instruction will be followed, if there are no styles applied then the styles in the head of each page will be followed. If there are no styling instructions listed there then it will cascade up further to the style sheet.

Using style sheets allows for altering various parts of your design very easily. If your menu (for example) colours are defined in a style sheet and you want to change the colour then it need only be changed on the one single style sheet and all the pages on your site will follow that instruction instead of having to alter the colour instructions on each page individually.

FPRULES

Comment

Plus you can do a lot more stuff with CSS than HTML.

Comment

Originally posted by FPRob
          Hi Bitz.

CSS is a way of programming additional styles into your web pages. It was basically invented to overcome limitations with HTML programming and it is constantly being developed to incorporate additional elements.

The style sheet is the page where all your new programming will go, it will then be called by a line on each of your HTML pages which basically says "look at my style sheet and use the styling options that i have listed there".

Styles can also be added directly to each web page or added directly to individual elements on the web page. This is where the word cascading comes in....

If you apply a style to say... a hyperlink on your page... then that instruction will be followed, if there are no styles applied then the styles in the head of each page will be followed. If there are no styling instructions listed there then it will cascade up further to the style sheet.

Using style sheets allows for altering various parts of your design very easily. If your menu (for example) colours are defined in a style sheet and you want to change the colour then it need only be changed on the one single style sheet and all the pages on your site will follow that instruction instead of having to alter the colour instructions on each page individually.
          Well Said General

VodaHost

Your Website People!
          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

thanks vh

FPRULES

Comment

as said above, css stands for cascading stylesheets

there are 3 types of stylesheets, namely:
              1) inline css
              2) embedded css
              3) external css

1) inline css - in is that type of css which is in the html codes of an html document, like between different html tags.

2) embedded css - these css are embedded within an html document before the body tags. the css required for a particular html document are put before the <body> tags.

3) external css - this is the most popularly used type of css used now a days. all the necessary css are coded in an external file with a ".css" extension. then as an when required it is called in any required html file.

external css are overridden by an embedded css and and embedded css is overridden by an inline css this is why they are called as css or cascading style sheets.

ciao
              nhugu.com - We are professional solution providers to facilitate in your corporate, business, official and personal presence in the web.

Comment

Can somebody please help me???????

I need to create Go Menu that can be crawled the the search engines.....How can I do this? I have seen a couple of sites that can do this and I read somewhere that if you use CSS you can have a dropdown menu that can be crawled by the search engines.

I have done some testing with a search engine sim and I can see that some body knows how to do it but the BV dropdown isn't crawlable.

I really need to be able to do this for sales reasons on some new sites I am putting together.

Thanks
                Affordable Medical Insurance
                Discount Dental Plan
                Washington State Health Insurance
                Temporary Health Insurance
                Homeowner Insurance Quote

Comment

hello motoxxx, i do not believe that css drop downmenu is not crawlable by any particular search eninges. :)
                  nhugu.com - We are professional solution providers to facilitate in your corporate, business, official and personal presence in the web.

Comment

moto,

solution would be to use html footer links duplicating your menu for the se to crawl.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

for the dropdown menuz u can also use dhtml ;)

Comment

i dont even know how to start with this CSS phenomenon!! where should i start????? im using BV.

i downloaded some templates and then.... and then i dont know what else to do!! LOL. and if not using a template can i do my own page design and tehn use it as a template? and if so, how do i do that???

i downloaded the trial for dreamweaver, but i like BV better....

any help please? if u dont mind and have some time, can u give me the step by step?

as u can see im so lost here.....

thanks a lot!!!

Comment

Hi,

If you want to use CSS then you have to learn CSS.

Here is a link where you can learn more.
                          www.siapamoyanganda.com/
                          Malaysian Family Tree Website From the
                          State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Comment

Originally posted by Lflagg View Post
                            i dont even know how to start with this CSS phenomenon!! where should i start????? im using BV.

i downloaded some templates and then.... and then i dont know what else to do!! LOL. and if not using a template can i do my own page design and tehn use it as a template? and if so, how do i do that???

i downloaded the trial for dreamweaver, but i like BV better....

any help please? if u dont mind and have some time, can u give me the step by step?

as u can see im so lost here.....

thanks a lot!!!
                            Hi .. if you are using blue voda and like it, stick with it. If you have downloaded any of voda hosts templates, you insert them as an image on your page and you can save as a template to begin each and everyone of your pages with .. Now this does depend on the type of template that you have downloaded though, if it is another type then the instructions and the software required for each template is generally listed.
                            There are many tutorials found on this forum for using the blue voda website builder. If you need specific help with an area, be sure to ask.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

I would be VERY VERY grateful to know if I can import a CSS - like an html?

How can I do this?

I love BV and there are so many beautiful CSS templates and I would love to use one. No offense - but the BV templates are ugly.

Any help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X