Editing an existing website designed by someone else

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Editing an existing website designed by someone else

Would I be able to edit an existing website which has already been designed by someone else? What information do I need from this website in order to carry out the changes?

Thanks,

Re: Editing an existing website designed by someone else

You would need the admin.info to do so

Comment

Originally posted by PC Dummy
      Would I be able to edit an existing website which has already been designed by someone else? What information do I need from this website in order to carry out the changes?

Thanks,
      Depends on how the site was created, and also depends on whether you want to edit master files or html pages. However you can FTP download the pages from the site and then edit them with an HTML editor. Is the site on a Vodaserver? Do you have a Voda Account? If yes, the you might do it with BV. Post back details.
      Navaldesign
      Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
      Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
      DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
      Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

It's not created by Voda.....and I have to ask the original guy to give me all the admin info, etc etc.....

What exactly does FTP do? What's the full name for it?

Thanks

Comment

Click the below for FTP definition and more...

VodaHost

Your Website People!
          1-302-283-3777 North America / International
          02036089024 / United Kingdom
          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Originally posted by PC Dummy
            It's not created by Voda.....and I have to ask the original guy to give me all the admin info, etc etc.....

What exactly does FTP do? What's the full name for it?

Thanks
            In short, by FTP we mean a program that allows you to view a site's content, as well as your computer content. It works mush the same as Window's Explorer. Usualy you have two windows on your screen, one with local content, the other with the site content. Using Drag & drop you can transfer a file from the site to your computer or vice versa. You will need admin info to get access to your site. Once you have it, you may go on as you like. If your site is on a Voda account, it will be rather easy to edit your pages, because you can open BV and create a New Page giving the URL (that's the full address, i.e.. http://www.yoursite.com/pagetoedit.html ) of the page to edit.

BV will "read" the page and create it on your computer. You will need to make minor readjustements that usually take only some minutes. In some cases, if there are particular functions in the page, BV will not be able to recreate everything. However, if everything goes fine, you will be able to edit your page and then re-publish it.

If your's is not a Voda account, you will have to either download the page, edit it with a HTML editor and then republish it, or, Use an HTML editor capable of on site editing. I strongly reccomend the first solution, because sometimes editing takes a long time, so making it on your computer allows you for intermediate stops, and when you are done you can publish the new version of your page.
            Navaldesign
            Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
            Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
            DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
            Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Working...
            X