Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want to use existing domain name for my new website...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to use existing domain name for my new website...

Hi friends !

I am Webmaster of an educational institute. Our website named: www.kie.ac.rw (in Rwanda) is designed by local web-development company and hosted by local ISP.

I am not satisfied with the look and performance of the website. I have planned to design a new website with Voda Host, but before purchasing an account, I would request you to answer my queries.

When I will purchase the account, Voda Host will give me one free domain name. What I know that Voda Host will give me a domain name other than our existing domain name. It may give us something like www.kie.net, www.kie.org, www.kie.com etc.

Now, when I will complete designing my website and will need to publish it, what domain name, I will have to use ? Because I want to use the same www.kie.ac.rw domain name for our identity as...

.rw=Rwanda
    .ac=Academic
    kie=Kigali Institute of Education.

I want that outside world should see us with www.kie.ac.rw even if I publish my website on Voda Host Web Servers.

Please help me in this regard...

Regards,

Hemant

Re: I want to use existing domain name for my new website...

Hi, I don’t think VH will be able to supply or transfer a “ac.rw” domain. But! No problem. You can open a VH account & build your site, then point your www.kie.ac.rw domain at your new VH server from your present domain provider.
    You might have to think of a different domain if you choose to get another domain with the name kie, I would of thought was taken with most extensions.
    Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

I am really confused...

Please see...

As you told, VH will not be able to supply or transfer a "ac.rw" domain, but according to VH, I will get one free domain name. So let's say VH gives me domain name www.kie.net. (As per my desire)

Now, I use that domain name www.kie.net to link my webpages in Voda Host application console. So, I will successfully publish it on one of VH Web Servers for example, on 67.228.244.194

Now, if I tell my ISP to make a DNS entry like this one:
      www.kie.net---->67.228.244.194 (VH Web Server)
      It will work.

BUT...

if I say my ISP to make it like this:
      www.kie.ac.rw---->67.228.244.194 (VH Web Server)

HOW IT CAN WORK WHEN VH HAS HOSTED MY WEBSITE ON THEIR SERVER AS WWW.KIE.NET ? (THIS IS MY CONFUSION)

Please clear my confusion.

Regards,

Hemant

Comment

Ok! What you can do is tell VH before you join that you would like a free domain as an add on domain, but you want your www.kie.ac.rw as the main domain, & you will point the www.kie.ac.rw at the VH servers from your end. This you won’t be able to do until you get your welcome email with your VH server details on.
        So! The www.kie.ac.rw will be in your main public_html directory in your main cpanel area of your VH server. And then your add on domain (That can run as its own independent web site) will be in the same area of the cpanel but under public_html/newdomain/
        Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Thank you very much Chris !

Lastly...Do you think that VH People will accept my request before my purchase. Because I have already sent an email to them regarding this but still I am waiting for a detailed reply.

And, technically, I didn't understand much what you explained. Why I won't be able to get my free domain as an add-on domain ? In normal cases, do VH not send VH Server details ?

Regards,

Hemant

Comment

Hi, you can just join VH & have a free domain & add your www.kie.ac.rw at a later date if you wish (Free of any charges)
            But its usually better to have the main domain in the public_html area (Main part of site) for getting reports on your website activity via your control panel. I dont think this is so comprehensive with an add on domain, (if at all).
            As for server details! VH has many servers & this is allocated at time of joining VH with a new account.
            Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Thank you very much for your valuable advices. I will give a prior information to my ISP that I will need to change my Name Server address.

Regards,

Hemant

Comment

Working...
              X