Vista

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista

Brad's website was originally built on a computer with XP windows. I bought a laptop that has Vista on it.
    I want to transfer the web builder and Brad's website onto the laptop with Vista on it.
    I opended a support ticket on the problem but so far nothing is working in the transfer. One of the procedures that came was to view "adding elements to your website/9362.
    I followed the directions. When the box "import HTML page" came up I clicked on remote(on the internet) and entered Brad's URL http://bradkimball.com. The computer that is the original computer that has the webbuilder and website's index page built on it is working for about 30 minutes. When I try to save the page and get out I get a box that indicates that the index page is untitled 1. I change that to index, it takes it but everytime I try to get out of the web builder I get the same page and the computer continues to work.
    Anyone know what is going on and does anyone know how to put the web builder and built and published index on the laptop with Vista from the originally computer with XP.
    I want the capabilities to work on both computers with Brad's website.
    Help
    Linda

Re: Vista

Hi Linda: I have done the same thing. Original pc has xp and new laptop has vista. There may be another way, but this is how I did it. I saved all my bvp files, images, onto a flash drive (you could use a floppy or dvd, whatever your computer supports). Then on the laptop, I created the path to my files EXACTLY like it was on my xp machine. So for example if my index.bvp file was in this path on my xp machine: C:\Documents and Settings\Home\My Documents\BlueVoda\mywebsite\index.bvp , then I set up the same path on my vista machine and then copied the index.bvp page into the mywebsite folder. I keep my images in a seperate folder and that path on my xp machine is: C:\Documents and Settings\Home\My Documents\BlueVoda\mywebsite\images\cindy.jpg. So again, I make sure the same path is on the Vista laptop for the cindy.jpg image. I hope that makes sense.

The other thing you want to make sure of is that you are using the same version of blue voda on both machines. So make sure you are using the latest version on both machines.

I hope that makes sense and helps. Good luck
    Cindy Smentowski

Comment

Thank you Dreamlady! Between the infor I received from the techs and the info from you this confusing file transfer was accomplished. Brad's builder and site are now on the laptop.
      Thank you for taking the time to help.
      Linda

Comment

Hi Cindy, Brad's web builder and index page or moved onto Vista but I hope this is not correct. On my Vista I have only pictures(little icons) that I have to use to build with. The old Menu Bar on the XP was simple, i.e. File, Tools, Help, etc. When you put Vista on your laptop which of these are you working with?
        Linda

Comment

Linda: Since Vista is so different, you can change a lot of the menus to the Classic Version (or xp ). Have you tried changing how you view the menu's with the Classic View? I have the actual words, not little icons, so I know it can be done. May want to go to the tech people you bought the laptop from and have them walk you through to see the Classic view. Hope this helps!
          Cindy Smentowski

Comment

Thanks, Cindy. I didn't know that the menu bar could be changed. I haven't had time to work with Vista except to try and build Brad's web page. Most of my friends and their college kids say don't put Vista on your computer. How do you like it?
            Linda

Comment

Linda: Well, like you, I haven't had much time to get familiar with it yet. But I did stumble across that classic view and use it until I get use to it. So far, its been fine. Well...going on vacation now, so good luck with it all!!
              Cindy Smentowski

Comment

I was having the same problem transferring from XP to Vista so I will give this a try.
                I am having one other problem that is driving me crazy. Now when I am creating the pages and adding pictures everything looks ok in BV but when I view it on my web browser or after it is posted it is not aligned the same anymore. For example there are large spaces between my boxes of text. At the bottom of one page I have a link that says click here well it looks ok on BV but to get it to look the same on the website I actually have to place the link on top of the paragraph above or else there is to much space between it and the paragraph. Placing it on the paragraph above puts it several lines below the paragraph on the web. If you go to catalinascommunitychorus.org the home page you can see it is ok. On the about us page on BV the picture of Marj Ahlstrand is up next to her name.

Comment

I haven't built a page with Vista yet. I am just now starting one. If I have the same problems that you are having I'm going to put XP back on the laptop. I struggle enought just trying to build a page without haveing to fight Vista too.
                  Linda
                  Last edited by bradacura; 07-15-2007, 07:42 PM. Reason: left out crucial word

Comment

Working...
                  X