Adding a login area to a website

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding a login area to a website

I would like to know how I can add a login area for parents on my website where they can access specific info. They should login with a password preferably generated by the adminstrator than themselves etc. I am not sure if this fals under guestbook or forum and I can't find out how to do this can you help?

Sarah

Re: Adding a login area to a website

Just go into cpanel and use the password protected directory feature. You can put a password on any folder of your site and assign a username/password for a user to login with. All files inside a protected directory can't be viewed until the user logs in

Register/Login Script
    Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

Watdaflip
      Thanks for your help I checked the control panel but neither the folder or the addon domain is listed do I have to add it ot the list or is it because the website is not published yet?

Thanks again

Sarah

Comment

Sarah,

Firstly you will need to add a folder to be password protected. So for example name this folder 'members'

Then once it is on your server, then you password protect it by using the method explained above.

Once protected you then place all your pages you only want seeing by certain people into this folder.

You do this in this manner:

When publishing the pages, instead of just publishing to public_html you publish to public_html/members (this being your folder name)

Then when anyone trys to click on a page within this folder they will be prompted for the username and password.
        Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

Sorry, I just noticed that this was for an addon domain,

so slight change to the above...

when publishing you set the folder to:

public_html/youraddondomain/members

'youraddondomain' being the domain name you add without the www or the .com
          Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

Ramsey,
            Sorry I know I must be a bit thick here but I have created the page I want to password protect and placed it in a a folder within the addon domain folder, but when I open the control panel I can only see the add on domain name folder - that is the whole thing.
            1. How can I separate the particular page from the rest?
            2. Please advise where I should create the folder.

Thanks very much

Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by sarah hk View Post
              Ramsey,
              Sorry I know I must be a bit thick here but I have created the page I want to password protect and placed it in a a folder within the addon domain folder, but when I open the control panel I can only see the add on domain name folder - that is the whole thing.
              1. How can I separate the particular page from the rest?
              2. Please advise where I should create the folder.

Thanks very much

Sarah
              Ok, you say you have already placed page within the folder within the addon domain folder so...let's go from here..

Now I will talk you through the CP process but I am not sure if you have the new or old verson, so hopefully you will grasp it whichever.

Open CP...

Click on 'Password protect directories'

Then if it asks you for a root selection check the 'web root' button

Now... you should see a folder named public_html.

Try clicking on the folder icon next to... and NOT the actual link that reads public_html.

This should then open up your addon domain folder.

Do the same... click on the icon for this folder and this should open up and show the folder with your page in.

NOW CLICK ON THE LINK SHOWING THE FOLDER NAME AND NOT THE ICON and then add a password protection.

Sorry it's a bit vague but I have password protected many folders in the old style panel but not the new one so my explanation is a bit clumsy but should still work ok

I'll be here for a bit if you need help.

Comment

Ramsey,
                Hello again, well I tired what you said but this is what happened.

When I first opened the password protect directory

Public_html / current folder
                Up one level
                cgi-bin
                pdf
                add on domain

Then I clicked the icon next to the public _html and got

Public_html/addon domain/current folder
                Up one level
                cgi-bin

but I can only see the addon domain name but no the pages of the website and nothing seems to open.

Any ideas???

Sarah

Comment

Sarah, what's your website address?

Comment

Ramsey,
                    I haven't published it yet. Is this the problem?

Sarah

Comment

Sarah, if you haven't published the pages yet then you won't see any in the CP, but you SHOULD be able to see the FOLDER that you are going to put these pages in. The folder is what you need to password protect and not the pages, does this make sense?

Comment

Ramsey,
                        Thank you for your effort. yes I get it now I need to somehow manage to get the folder visible in the CP so when I save the page I should save it on its own in a folder. Okay, I think I have done that but can't find it in CP but I will try to see what I can do. I don't want to take up any more of your time now as I have a very good general idea but just need a bit of time to make it work, If I really can't sort it then I shall be back!! - famous last words.

Thanks again,
                        Sarah

Comment

Sarah, if you get stuck, don't hesitate to email me using the first link site in my signature and I'll set it up for you free of charge. I run several accounts with VH for many clients so can be trusted

Comment

Ramsey,

Thanks alot you are very kind. I will give it my best try first.

Sarah

Comment

Hi! just want to ask if I can organize all the files(images,pages or all the files i published) What I mean here is....after I made a page..I certainly publish it on public folder...on BV server to be viewable on the net. Then When I visited my FTP Manager then connect...it show all the pages including all the files in it on that folder. Image,pages(different kind of pages) etc. Can I make a folder here and move files in its category? video folder,image folder something like that. I did once...but I can't move or drag the files.
                              Or make a folder first then instead using the publish buttom on my BV website builder...I use the FTP Manager and drag the page I just made to folder I want?....sorry..if my question or explanaiton is to long....but hope to hear from you..thanks in advance...

Comment

Working...
                              X