X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sub domain publishing

I have created a sub domain that is ok and created a file in cPanel.... I

created a web page and saved it... I go to publish it... it says, public_html

so I put the page name in like this.. public_html/friendship it then says it is

published successfully... but when I type the url into the browser it says...

Index of /
    so what am I doing wrong please.

Re: sub domain publishing

Simply publish an 'index' page to this folder and away you go..

From a BV point of view, to prevent you from muddling all your pages up, create a new folder, within the Bluevoda folder, and save the sub-domain .bvp pages in there)
    Happy Building

DarrenC

Comment

When you create a sub domain it aromaticity put a folder on your sever in the name of the domain, ie newsite.com.
      You then publish to that folder ie, public_html/newsite.com/

Dooooh lol you just to quick Darren ha ha
      Alien Dude Solutions

Comment

Thanks everyone,,, I thought a sub name was supposed to look like this subname.mysite.com I used to do it this way a while ago.

But it works like this mysite.com/subname.html

Which one is right?....

Comment

Originally posted by maxaction View Post
          I have created a sub domain that is ok and created a file in cPanel.... I created a web page and saved it... I go to publish it... it says, public_html
          so I put the page name in like this.. public_html/friendship it then says it is published successfully... but when I type the url into the browser it says... Index of / so what am I doing wrong please.
          You need to publish with a specific path to a subdomain ... in the Publish Dialog box, it should look like this: public_html/PrimaryDomain/SubDomain
          By not doing this, you merely published to a separate folder, and not to the sub-domain you created in cPanel.

There are obvious benefits to creating and publishing to a sub-domain rather than a folder, so make up your mind which you will pursue (and correct).

Thanks everyone,,, I thought a sub name was supposed to look like this subname.mysite.com I used to do it this way a while ago.

But it works like this mysite.com/subname.html

Which one is right?....
          What you have done by improperly Publishing above is merely created a "folder" just like you would do for a Forum or Blog installation (or a "section" of the Primary domain), not published to a proper Sub-Domain creation. Unfortunately, the comments from others offered above are less than clear or helpful in making the distinctions between them.

FIND THE PROPER METHODS DETAILED HERE
          . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
          * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

You need to publish with a specific path to a subdomain ... in the Publish Dialog box, it should look like this: public_html/PrimaryDomain/SubDomain I did that and got a 550 error on the dialog box.... I am sure I used to just go to the publish dialog box and put this... public_html/subname ,, my page name is saved the same as my sub domain name.
            Thanx

Comment

You need to publish with a specific path to a subdomain ... in the Publish Dialog box, it should look like this: public_html/PrimaryDomain/SubDomain I did that and got a 550 error on the dialog box.... I am sure I used to just go to the publish dialog box and put this... public_html/subname ,, my page name is saved the same as my sub domain name.
              You are confused, and it does no one any good to insist or argue ... it will not change the facts or the processes.

A "550 Error" merely means that you cannot publish to a directory that is not being found: if you are in fact asserting that you properly created a Sub-Domain in cPanel, and thus entered the proper path when attempting to publish (public_html/PrimaryDomain/SubDomain) and are getting a "550 Error" then it is because there is no properly created Sub-Domain found!

You do not "have to" publish as you say in the manner you list, unless you prefer to keep publishing to a FOLDER (a simple, separate "Directory" within your public_html/ Directory) that you created and not a Sub-Domain.
              * Remember! Your first page of a real Sub-Domain needs to be Named, Saved, and Published as "index" just like any other website!

As I said ... you will have to make up your mind what it is you really want ... a sub-domain, or merely a "section" of the primary website ..... if you want a real Sub-Domain, you will need to go in your cPanel and delete the FOLDER you created (rather than the Sub-Domain you thought you were creating .... see the Tutorials to note the difference), and, following the Tutorial, create an actual Sub-Domain and then merely publish your pages normally using the procedures outlined so many times --- it is best to stop "remembering" and guessing, and just follow the beaten path.

Yours is not a special case ... it is merely you needing to understand what you did and what you really want to do, and then doing things they way they need to be done.
              . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
              * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Working...
              X