Thread: How to create a download

Talking How to create a download

Sometimes you want your website visitor to be able to download a file from your website, such as a .pdf, MP3, .exe, .zip, etc….

This is very easy to do, please follow the below instructions...

1) When creating a file that is designed to be downloaded, it is extremely important that you
    keep the file name as short as possible and do not use any capital letters, spaces or punctuation marks.

2) Upload the file you want your visitor to be able to download into your public_html folder. You can upload
    via FTP or you can use the upload feature in your File Manager in your control panel.

OK...

Next....

Let's look at the example of the domain name www.BlueVoda.com, We want to provide the BlueVoda Website
    Builder as a download to our visitors...

a) We created a file zip file called bv.zip
    b) We uploaded bv.zip to our public_html folder

Thats it!

The download link is www.BlueVoda.com/bv.zip , anybody who clicks this link will download the BlueVoda website builder.

---------------------------

Let's Recap....

Your Doman Name + File = Downloadable link

BlueVoda.com
    is the domain name

bv.zip is the file

we seperate the the two with a slash /

and we get the downloadable link
    BlueVoda.com/bv.zip

If you have any questions or comments on this topic, please feel free to ask them below...

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Default Re: How to create a download

General,
    Thank you for making this easy to understand and implement! You are the best!

General,
    Thank you very much.. I was wondering exactly how to do that.. And thanks for keeping track of our progress and interests..Dori's right you are the best.
    Doug

Thanks! I don't need the info yet, but will need it before too long . . . I'll keep the thread so I have it when I need it!

Smile Re: How to create a download

Hi I am wondering how to make the download link a one time only link. For example john bought an ebook from one of my sites and I want him to have it but make it secure so he can't sent the link (or password to the file)to all his friends. Is there a way to do this? ThanksKell

General,
    Ho can I keep track or view how many times a specific file has been downloaded. I have an excel sheet that users anonymosly can download and I would like to know how many times this happens. Is this possible?

Thanks,
    Mats (www.snickis.se)
    Mats Tegnér
    Snickis.se

Quote Originally Posted by mackan
    General,
    Ho can I keep track or view how many times a specific file has been downloaded. I have an excel sheet that users anonymosly can download and I would like to know how many times this happens. Is this possible?

Thanks,
    Mats (www.snickis.se)
    Hi Mats,

it can be done in two ways:

1. By looking into your Stats in CP.

2. with a script that will email you, each time someone clicks on the link to the the file, or with a script that will update a database table. The email solution is the simplest. Additional info can be added in both cases, as date and time the file was downloaded, IP address of the user that downloaded it, as well as (but this is only usefull if you have the link to the file in many pages, and you want to trace this also) the page from which they clicked to download the file . If you are interested, contact me.

Please note that this way you can trace the number of times they have clicked on the "Download file" button. If they then choose to close the download window, without actually downloading, the script will count it as downloaded.
    Navaldesign
    Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
    Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Thanks... If the file doesn't show when the link is clicked what's up?

Quote Originally Posted by twenty8ightinc
    Thanks... If the file doesn't show when the link is clicked what's up?
    It means that your link is wrong.
    Navaldesign
    Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Great You can also ad it to button and it works perfect.
    Regards
    Bojan

Question. How do you upload a document without having people having to use my control panel username/password to actually view it? I've uploaded a word document to my site, but when you click on it, it asks for my user/password. I don't want it to be password protected.

Do I need to set my permissions to something different?

Hi Laura,

this is probably because your document is inside a protected folder. Make sure it is inside a "free" folder, and it will create a download just fine.
    Navaldesign

thats worth a million $ 4 me as i dont know how to even make a webpage,but i love u bv!!!!!

Smile Re: How to create a download

Thanks, thats real easy to make download. I guess I'll manage it now. Thanks a million as always.

Thumbs up Re: How to create a download

General,
    your suggestion is very useful.
    You are always the best,and Vodahost is bigger host.
    Greetings

Ok General. Thanks for that. Now how do I get the ftp to work for my customer's uploads, so I can get his files when he's ready? I really need this one two. BTW, the download ftp works great. I tried it with a 15 meg ftp download.

There are two ways to allow customers to upload files and make download

1. Allow him FTP access. You will need to create a folder for the uploaded files, and also create a ftp account, limited to that folder (else he will gain access to all of your site). However, a bad idea if you don't personally know your clients as they could upload malicious code and take over completely your site.

2. Create a form, with one (or more) upload fields. Use Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor to process the form. ABVFP will upload the files in the specified folder, and will also send you an email with the files attached. You can also make the upload older have some strange name instead of the usual "uploads" so that no one will know the location where the files have been uploaded.
    Navaldesign

bump

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Default Can I do the following with BlueVoda?

A lot of people such as myself would like to know how to generate a single password/code number so they can sell a single cop of an eBook. Each person who pays would bet a number, never the same for another person, and they can d/l their copy.

This requires either a custom made script or a PayPal IPN listener script.

In both cases some PHP knowledge is required to create a download or to make download.
    Navaldesign

OOPS! That's way over my pay grade. But I can sniff around from there.

Thanks.

Thread Information