Thread: Question about what happens when you change the DNS pointers

Question Question about what happens when you change the DNS pointers

I hope I'm getting the terminology right. My website is hosted on a New Zealand Server and apparently NZ law says our websites can't be transferred out of the country (I knew that we live in a nanny state but this law is news to me). Anyway, I'm told that to get around it I can log in to the hosting domain and change the DNS pointers to VodaHost.

No problem, this I have done and I get this message "DNS Update Successful. Please allow up to 24 hours for this change to propagate and become visible."

My question is: How will I know it has been done?

Do I get an email saying the change is made? Or do I type in my web address in about 24 hours and my new creation (which I uploaded this morning) will appear and replace my old website. Or is there something I need to change at the Vodahost end as well?

Any info you can give me will be appreciated.

Default Re: Question about what happens when you change the DNS pointers

The second one: log on now and then and it'll show up. Unless they come and arrest you first, of course.

Tom
    CLAMcentral.com Children's Ministry resources
    CLAMcentral's Projects Blog
    CLAMbakeonline.com Family Fun

Are you saying the change is instantaneous? or are you saying try it in 24 hours? Because when I type in the address now, my old website is still there

Yes, 24 hours. I'm trying to remember how long mine took, I think that's about what it was. It varies--some get theirs in a shorter time, some longer--that's why I say to check it now and then.
    CLAMcentral.com Children's Ministry resources
    CLAMcentral's Projects Blog
    CLAMbakeonline.com Family Fun

Cool thanks for that. Uh oh who's that at the door..........

Quote Originally Posted by Muzza View Post
    I hope I'm getting the terminology right. My website is hosted on a New Zealand Server and apparently NZ law says our websites can't be transferred out of the country (I knew that we live in a nanny state but this law is news to me). Anyway, I'm told that to get around it I can log in to the hosting domain and change the DNS pointers to VodaHost.

No problem, this I have done and I get this message "DNS Update Successful. Please allow up to 24 hours for this change to propagate and become visible."

My question is: How will I know it has been done?

Do I get an email saying the change is made? Or do I type in my web address in about 24 hours and my new creation (which I uploaded this morning) will appear and replace my old website. Or is there something I need to change at the Vodahost end as well?

Any info you can give me will be appreciated.
    Hi Muzza

Good old davidundalicia here again, and as I dont want to rush in and assume anything, I have a question for you................

You mentioned that you want to replace the contents of your NZ site with the new one that you have just published.....

Does this mean that you have 2 domain names now ?

I have www.arlinefishingcharter.co.nz (existing site) which I want to transfer and change. I'm told I cannot transfer it but I can change the DNS pointers - which I have done. My email doesn't work now (I'm assuming because of the renaming) but the changes I uploaded via BlueVoda are not being reflected yet. I am trying to find out exactly was is/might be/or will be happening so that I can identify any problems and fix them asap.

I also have www.newzealandfishingcharter.com sitting at VodaHost with which I have done nothing yet. You told me earlier that I cannot have duplicate sites for some reason so I have to think of a different use for that one.

You seem to be fixated on what I am doing. Is there a problem that I am unaware of David?

Muzza
    I can see what you are trying to achieve and my only wish is to try and help you....

I did not say that you could not have duplicate sites, I only pointed out that the search engines frown on duplicate sites/content.

If www.arlinefishingcharter.co.nz were to be redirected to www.newzealandfishingcharter.com then there would be no conflict and whenever
    someone typed in www.arlinefishingcharter.co.nz they would be shown to www.newzealandfishingcharter.com without even seeing the contents of www.arlinefishingcharter.co.nz

The fact that www.arlinefishingcharter.co.nz is being hosted in NZ means that all the good work that you are doing in BV cannot replace the contents of www.arlinefishingcharter.co.nz even though you have changed the DNS to vodahost......one more step needs to taken.
    and this is why I have asked my question.

Okay, I'm clearer now about what you meant the other day.

You mentioned that one more step needs to be taken. Can you enlighten me please?

I tried using cPanel to define an add-on Domain but am not convinced that's the answer. Especially as now I can't see my old site let alone my new one.

You seem to have thought about the next step already.........

Normally, after changing the dns, you addon the domain name in your Cpanel.

Yes, you do seem to have a problem with www.newzealandfishingcharter.com

Question: which DNS did you change ?¿ the one in your voda account or the one hosted in NZ ?¿

I changed the one hosted in New Zealand (as per instructions from vodasupport)

Quote:

Hi,

we can not transfer .nz domains due to your countries laws,

as a work around, update your DNS pointers for arlinefishingcharter.co.nz and

point them to:

ns1.voda28.com
    ns2.voda28.com

This will fully activate your domain registration with your account here at VodaHost.

Thank you,

Amie

The file manger shows that I created
    a directory called public_html/arlinefishingcharter.co.nz and that knocked www.arlinefishingcharter.co.nz on the head (i.e. Website not found) so I deleted public_html/arlinefishingcharter.co.nz and my old website was able to be found again. I think I'm on the right track(?) but not getting it exactly right. The video help is confusing. I desperately want to get this up and working so that I can resume business but am looking at a brickwall.

Quote Originally Posted by Muzza View Post
    I changed the one hosted in New Zealand (as per instructions from vodasupport)

Quote:

Hi,

we can not transfer .nz domains due to your countries laws,

as a work around, update your DNS pointers for arlinefishingcharter.co.nz and

point them to:

ns1.voda28.com
    ns2.voda28.com

This will fully activate your domain registration with your account here at VodaHost.

Thank you,

Amie

The file manger shows that I created
    a directory called public_html/arlinefishingcharter.co.nz and that knocked www.arlinefishingcharter.co.nz on the head (i.e. Website not found)

What you did above was exactly correct and the new directory created was also correct....but Because changing the DNS takes a while to propogate you will not be able to find www.arlinefishingcharter.co.nz just yet.

so I deleted
    public_html/arlinefishingcharter.co.nz and my old website was able to be found again.

When you say "my old website".....which one was that ?

I think I'm on the right track(?) but not getting it exactly right. The video help is confusing. I desperately want to get this up and working so that I can resume business but am looking at a brickwall.
    Yes, your on the right track, its just a matter of communications now.

Well, I'm off the air. I type in www.arlinefishingcharter.co.nz and get "the requested URL / was not found on this server" I'm getting really nervous now

Would you like me to look into your Cpanel and sort it out ?

Yes please

OK
    goto one of my sites below my sig and use the contact page
    I will then email you...........

sorry, use this one: http://mvpalma1.com/contactme.html

Ok. Email sent to your yahoo id

All fixed and both sites are now operational..............

Thread Information