Photoshop to BV question (tips?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photoshop to BV question (tips?)

Hi ya'll. I wasn't sure where to post this, so General seemed good to me! LOL THis is for anyone using PHOTOSHOP CS to prepare their images.

I'm using BV, but doing my illustrations in Photoshop (they are scanned artwork). I will save the images for web and the insert them into my BV pages.

1. Does anyone know the "formula" or ratio, or whatever you call it...for pixels/resolution versus height and width?
    What I mean is....I know that if you are using 300 dpi there are 300 pixels per inch, and so on...but i usually cheat and use the "percentage" option when resizing images. But where I'm wasting alot of time in trial and error is how to resize my images in 72 dpi without screwing up the measurements.

For example, let's say I'm creating a clipart on 300 dpi page using a 300 dpi scan. I reduce the resolution of the image to 72dpi for faster loading...but that also reduces the height and width of my clipart. What I can't figure out (i'm HORRIBLE at MATH!) is what size should I create the clipart in at 300dpi so that when I reduce it to 72 dpi (or even 100 dpi) it will be the height & width I need for my BV page? 4 times bigger???

OR is there a better way to work directly at 72 dpi in photoshop? I know when I get your answers I will feel "duh!!!!"

2. When you are creating your images in photoshop cs, what size page are you working on? 800 x 600 at 300 dpi? This is so small on my screen and it is already at 100%. Any tips for what size page to create my "mock" layout on?

Ok, now stop laughing at me!!! I'm such a turtle!!!!
    still working on website!

Re: Photoshop to BV question (tips?)

Why use a mathematical formula when the program can do it automatically for you.
    Here's an option, save in PS and then use PixResizer to get the size you want. Its an excellent tool.
    Bill
    www.blueearthtea.com
    www.ftaaconsulting.com
    www.iaval.com
    www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

oh Bill!! LOL I like complicated things! Once I know the size to do one pic, the rest will be the same. It's not really a "FORMULA" just a ratio thingie majig!!!!
      I tried the Pixresizer FIRST....it is putting all kinds of weird black junk and bits of stuff all over the image....

If i was to use the pixsizer....what am I doing wrong?
      1. scan image into photoshop at 300dpi.
      2. adjust image as necessary
      3. save image as??? gif? (needs to be transparent for layering) and at what dpi?
      4. load into pixresizer and continue...

Maybe I was putting too low of a resolution in pixresizer?
      hmmmmmmmmm. pixresizer was working fine for my photos,but not for my hand illustrations.

Comment

Originally posted by islandcrazy
        Hi ya'll. I wasn't sure where to post this, so General seemed good to me! LOL THis is for anyone using PHOTOSHOP CS to prepare their images.

I'm using BV, but doing my illustrations in Photoshop (they are scanned artwork). I will save the images for web and the insert them into my BV pages.

1. Does anyone know the "formula" or ratio, or whatever you call it...for pixels/resolution versus height and width?
        What I mean is....I know that if you are using 300 dpi there are 300 pixels per inch, and so on...but i usually cheat and use the "percentage" option when resizing images. But where I'm wasting alot of time in trial and error is how to resize my images in 72 dpi without screwing up the measurements.
        Every image, including buttons some text on my web pages are entirely made in PS. The way I do my work:

In my BV, I place a square representing the image I want to display. This gives me the exact dimentions I need (ex, 200X100px)..

Now I know the size of the image I want to produce, I go to PS and open a NEW file, 27dpi, width 200, length 100 px.

I then open the image file I want to put on my page, the image could be a GIF of JPEG or whatever format..

I select the entire Image (with the Marquee) tool.. then Ctrl+C..

Then move back to your new blank file... Ctrl+V

Now you have the image in your new file... select the 'Move Tool' and make sure 'Show Bounding Box' is ticked..

Resize the image to fit..

Save as.... and so on..

It is always best, when working with PS to create new files to duplicate images rather than tampering with the already saved images... However, if you want to produce a new image fromm scratch, ex, a button.. then ofcourse work from scratch, save in PSD Format, then save as in other formats as you require.

Hope this helps.

Comment

WELL DUH!!!!!!!! See! I told you I would say DUH!!!! I was working the wrong DIRECTION! PS to BV instead of BV to PS!! Sizing the other direction did not work!!!

Thank you SOOO much Carlos! That's exactly what I needed to know! You may be sorry that you replied cause now I know EXACTLY who to target my questions to! LOL LOL

When you save your finished image, the last step, do you use the "save for web" settings or just regular saving and the pixresizer? I see no reason to use the pixresizer if I can do it in Photoshop......what settings work the best for you? THANKS SO MUCH!!

Comment

WELL DUH!!!!!!!! See! I told you I would say DUH!!!! I was working the wrong DIRECTION! PS to BV instead of BV to PS!! Sizing the other direction did not work!!!

Thank you SOOO much Carlos! That's exactly what I needed to know! You may be sorry that you replied cause now I know EXACTLY who to target my questions to! LOL LOL

When you save your finished image, the last step, do you use the "save for web" settings or just regular saving and the pixresizer? I see no reason to use the pixresizer if I can do it in Photoshop......what settings work the best for you? THANKS SO MUCH!!
            Hi again.. There is no need for pixresizer.. Everything can be done within PS.. After you've finished working on your 'new' PS file and it's ready to be saved, I suggest that you save it in 2 formats:

1. PSD.. this is the PS document format.. The benefit in having it is that you can always change its elements (Layers). This is particularly useful when you have a group of images that all are the same size with different pictures, text etc... in this case, all you do is delete whatever layer you want to change and add the new one.. and so on.

2. You would also save you file as GIF.. 'File-->>save as-->>GIF'.. this gives you the actual file (image) you are going to use to insert in your BV page and uploaded onto the server.

As you are aware, JPEG is also good for web pages depending on the image you want to publish.. If the image is a small one, always stick to GIF. JPEG can be useful when dealing with Larger (True Color) images like photos and so on.

Always happy to help whenever I can, so please feel free to ask any time.. If I dont know the answer, I can always look for it and come back to you..

Comment

Thank you Carlos! What version of Photoshop do you use? I cannot find the "show bounding box" in cs (i think it is version 8?). The only way I could get the box to come up was in "veiw" and click "extras". However,then I get a million grid lines all over the page and it drives me nuts! i'm sure I will stumble onto it.

And yes, pds files are my best friends! I NEVER use the "save" option, always the 'save as" that way I am forced to rename the file, thus preserving the original. I also duplicate my original Layer IMMEDIATELY and then "turn it off" so that no matter what, i will still have the original while I'm working. Learned all of that the HARD WAY! LOL

Comment

oh Bill!! LOL I like complicated things! Once I know the size to do one pic, the rest will be the same. It's not really a "FORMULA" just a ratio thingie majig!!!!
                I tried the Pixresizer FIRST....it is putting all kinds of weird black junk and bits of stuff all over the image....

If i was to use the pixsizer....what am I doing wrong?
                1. scan image into photoshop at 300dpi.
                2. adjust image as necessary
                3. save image as??? gif? (needs to be transparent for layering) and at what dpi?
                4. load into pixresizer and continue...

Maybe I was putting too low of a resolution in pixresizer?
                hmmmmmmmmm. pixresizer was working fine for my photos,but not for my hand illustrations.
                Using a scanner to import hand illustrations? Some scanners will not let you save as a *.gif file, you can save as a *.jpeg and then save. Depending on use scan at a high resolution. The higher the DPI the more detail that will be picked up.

You've probably seen pages where the photos or images are slightly not proportioned right, most often this is from doing it manually (grabbing a corner of the image and sizing it to fit). The nice thing about PixResizer is that you can 'downsize' to almost any size without distorting from the original.

You should not have gotten any weird stuff on yr images, if your image had "imperfections" they might show if you enlarge the image but not when you make them smaller.

PhotoShop, Photopaint, Paint Net ,etc provide and option to save for web, you have to save as a *.gif file. JPEG files wont let you do want you want. BTW, Blue Voda will not accept *.png.

Hope this helps.
                Bill
                www.blueearthtea.com
                www.ftaaconsulting.com
                www.iaval.com
                www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

Thank you Carlos! What version of Photoshop do you use? I cannot find the "show bounding box" in cs (i think it is version 8?). The only way I could get the box to come up was in "veiw" and click "extras". However,then I get a million grid lines all over the page and it drives me nuts! i'm sure I will stumble onto it.

And yes, pds files are my best friends! I NEVER use the "save" option, always the 'save as" that way I am forced to rename the file, thus preserving the original. I also duplicate my original Layer IMMEDIATELY and then "turn it off" so that no matter what, i will still have the original while I'm working. Learned all of that the HARD WAY! LOL
                  Hi IslandCrazy.. I have to say you're more advanced than me.. I use PS v7.0.

The 'Show Bounding Box' should appear below the main menu up the top..

And yes, it is part of the 'View Extras' feature.. I don't know about the grid line thing, but I am sure that these can be either hidden or customized so that you can always have the Bounding Box without those annoying grids.. I'll do some research and let you know how to get rid of them.. I have a feeling it's a 'preference' or 'options' issue.. I'll chase it til I catch it, break it to bits, understand it and then tell you about it.. deal..?

As for learning the 'hard way'... well have I got some stories to tell about that..!!' LOL

Comment

Lets try this:

Edit -->> Preferences -->>Guides, Grids & Slices..

See if that works to fix those annoying Girds problem..

Cheers..

Comment

Hi IslandCrazy,

When you resize a picture in photoshop there is two options:
                      1 - resize the resolution as well as the H and W, but in that case, the picture stay same, that kind of things you do to send for billboards and bridge banners, so the resolution "for example" is 300dpi and you have let's say 50 cm in W and 30 cm in H, when you put 100dpi, PS cs or cs 2 or Version 7 or any of them, gives you as result 100dpi - 150.01 cm in W - 89.99 cm in H.

This option you will not need it for your web page, so what you gonna do is the following:

2- work in your illustration as bigger as you want at 300dpi, when you finish you want to put it in BV, so you have to get to 72dpi, in photosjop go to image>image size

when the box appears, you see in the top the size of the image in pixels, under it the size where you can choose cm, mm, inch etc etc. so under the resolution box there is 3 small check boxes, one with scale style which you keep off, under it constrain proportions that you keep on, and finally resample image which is the main probleme you got front of resample image keep it in Bicubid, and if you keep the resample image on, you that line in the right relating the width and height only, and so you can change just the dpi alone or the width and height alone.

I hope this will help you.

Let me know
                      The Producer

Comment

by the way, when saving the file, use save for web, but you have to change the dpi to 72 first, because the save for web doesn't change the dpi at all, it keeps the final size and resolution that you have in the actual image.

And I'm sorry I just like to put people in the right track, you said that you create your illustration in photoshop.
                        No, photoshop is a software based on pixels, illustration means a vector lines which you create in illustrator or corel draw.

Small Tip:
                        if you want to edit an image and add some effects with corrections and retouches, do it in photoshop, but if you want to create a logo or an illustration, you better do it in illustrator or corel for better use in the future for quality.

cheers
                        The Producer

Comment

Thanks so much for all your help! It has been a long 2 days and I'm getting around some of this better.

Bill: Thanks for the tips. I can scan directly into photohop at 300 dip. It's a beautiful thing!!! LOL I work with the photoshop file until I'm finished and then can save as anything I want to. I usually work with pngs but I've found out today that is not gonna work and have switched to gifs!!! I will try pixresizer again if needed. I think it will save me some time to just do it all in photoshop.

Carlos:You are so sweet to go find that answer for me!! I think version 6,7,8 all basically work the same, they just keep adding or simplifying features. I really love Photoshop, though I've only been working with it for about 18 months and am very slow! I love sharing tips and tricks with other photoshop users cause it is such a HUGE program, you learn something new and better every day! I often say "oh duh!" when I realize some step that makes it simpler than "my way". I did not know about that show bounding box and i am learning to really like it!

I've been using your suggestions and am doing pretty well. BUt now I'm struggling with jagged edges in BV with my gif files, which I need for transparency. Any tips for that? I posted it in a new thread under "adding elements".

Nite Producer---thanks for your suggestions, too! I do know how to resize my images, but what I didn't understand was the PAGE (document)resolution...but it seems to not matter so much now.
                          What I have found the most successful with my drawings is to change the resolution FIRST and then go back and change the dimensions (h & w).

Thank you for reminding me about the 3 boxes...i will go check that I have the right ones selected. perhaps that is what is giving me a little problem.

Regarding Illustrator (vector drawing)...I do not DRAW my illustrations in photoshop.....I watercolor them on paper first, then scan them into my program. Then I do all the adjustments in photoshop. I have found it to be a marvelous tool for taking my "handmade" look and using it in "high tech" applications!

It is always good to meet and share with another photoshop user!!!

Comment

Allright, Welcome and thank you, but I have a question what is your web site because I draw as well and it will be interesting to see other artists' work.

cheers
                            The Producer

Comment

Nite: My website is not ready yet, but when it is, I will let you know, k? Don't hold your breath though...i'm very slow!!

Carlos....I'm starting to like this bounding box!! LOL I was doing it a WAY slower way before. YIKES! No wonder it takes me so long to do my layouts for my free lance work! ARG! It was always hidden from view before, so I didn't know about it...that's what I get for not taking a photoshop class I guess. When I first bought it my friend "tutored" me through the basic stuff I needed for a job I was doing. After that, I was on my own through online tutorials, trial and error, and forums. Sure glad I asked you those questions! Learned something valuable I didn't even know I was missing!!! LOL Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X