jagged/pixelated edges ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jagged/pixelated edges ?

I've read what I could find in the search here, but the few posts i found were before BV8 came out. I am preparing my graphics (which are handpainted images,scanned, etc.) in photoshop cs, resizing them (dpi) etc. and then saving them as gifs because of transparency (the images are "cut outs" and some are layered). I usually work with png files, but understand that many browsers do not support them, so I've tried the gifs.

When I insert them into BV, all of the outlines are horribly jagged wherever they directly "lay" on the blank BV page. I am assuming this has to do with transparancy support by BV? Any of the images that are NOT trasparent are not as jagged...but still a little bit. I suppose I could save them all as jpegs, but then I will not be able to overlap my images the way I want.

This is very disappointing....does anyone have a remedy for this? I do not think it is a photoshop problem.....and I'm testing them on all monitor resolutions and they are bad on all of them.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
    still working on website!

Re: jagged/pixelated edges ?

JPEG is excellent for photographs, not so good for drawings, these should be saved as *.gif. I recall reading something in Photoshop, there is a tool (feathering?) you use to keep the edges from looking ragged.

Follow this link to read more which is best. http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/...PG_GIF_PNG.asp
    Bill
    www.blueearthtea.com
    www.ftaaconsulting.com
    www.iaval.com
    www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

thanks for your suggestions, Bill. Feathering and/or anti-aliasing make the file size much bigger, but I will try them. The linework on my drawings is so fine (thin) especially on the edges, that there just might not be enough pixels to keep the quality at 72dpi. However, even on some thicker lines, there is still pixelating.

What is weird is that it does not do it on computer filled color, or the borders that i added directly in BV. So it must be a problem with transparency....I will have to try another plan unless someone else has a trick.

Comment

Hi.. In Photo shop is the place to fix your art before posting... "Magnetic lasso"... "defringe".. zoom then touch up edges with "blending tool.." Photoshop rteccomends GIF for web/email based transfers... Hope that helps,, patience is a virtue...Doug

Comment

Hi Island,

Have you tried using another program like PhotoImpact - trial version out there and see if they have tools different than photoshop. Paint.net is free and may have other ways to get what you want. SOrry best on my limited experience in this type of work.

Look at this site I found and see if it offers any answers - http://www.agnr.umd.edu/intranet/webtips/arthowto.html
          Beezz
          sigpic

http://www.bzzybeezwordz.blogspot.com

Comment

thanks for the new tips, ya'll! I will try them all out when I go back to my work on my site. It's on hold until I get the kids back in school on Monday. both my babies are in starting public junior high this year! Yikes!! After 6 years in a tiny private school, this is a HUGE new adventure for them!

Comment

Originally posted by islandcrazy
              thanks for the new tips, ya'll! I will try them all out when I go back to my work on my site. It's on hold until I get the kids back in school on Monday. both my babies are in starting public junior high this year! Yikes!! After 6 years in a tiny private school, this is a HUGE new adventure for them!

Awww...now remeber to untie the apron strings and hide in the bushes so they won't be embarrased by you dropping them off and picking them ...incognito from now on...lol. It'll be a wonderful adventure for them too...my nephew starts college this month and I just keeping flashing to him when he was jsut starting school...sniff...(yes I'm really close to my sisters kids - we're a very close extended family)....lol...oh and my niece (the brilliant brainiac) is starting junior high too...I knwo how you feel.
              Beezz
              sigpic

http://www.bzzybeezwordz.blogspot.com

Comment

Try this. Scan your drawings into Photoshop at 400-600 dpi. This is a large size which I use for my digital photos. Then adjust the image to your satisfaction. Next zoom in the print to 250-300 percent its original size and look at the edges of the objects in the print or photo. If it is a flower look at the edges of the petal if it is a clean line of sawtooth squares will indicate the edges are fine. You can then crop and resize the print and save under the Gif format. You will not get the jagged edges when you post it on the web.

The jagged edges usually appear when you do a quick change on the background color of the print using the Magic Wand. You will require to enlarge the print as explained above and use the brush to straighten all the edges of the objects inside the print.

The other way jagged edges may appear is when you had already resize the print into a much smaller size and saved it in GIF and then only try to clean up the photo or print or try to enlarge it again.

The last is when you have paintings done by hand with a brush or pencil or charcoal, the edges of the object will be uneven due to the brush strokes. If you crop your print and reduce the size for the web and also reduce the lossless control to 50%, jagged edges may also appear.

If at all possible save all your prints in the computer hard disk in .PSD. If you save in Jpeg or Gif the prints will be flattened.
                Convert your photo for the web to gif only when you need them and always save back the original in .PSD.
                www.siapamoyanganda.com/
                Malaysian Family Tree Website From the
                State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Comment

Hi Islandcrazy,

I get the same problem concerning the edges, gif etc etc. But to fix my problem, I looked a bit in photoshop and tried some stuff, and it seems to work perfectly, give me few days, I'm preparing a tutorial for that.
                  The Producer

Comment

Working...
                  X