X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am up and running!

I am very happy to have a site up and running so quickly! Ok, I know
    some of you are going to say it's 'hokey', but that's ok. I am only
    providing information to a small local group here in South Alabama, usa.
    The site has music and pictures and may load slowly on some computers.
    As I add content, I will either resize to smaller pics, or extend to page 2.
    I am using jpeg for pics, mp3 for audio.

I enjoy all the comments on the 'Forum'. They are helpful, even if they
    address other sites. The learning process on Voda is an enjoyable
    experience!

lovethatbluegrassmusic
    www.baldwincomusic.com
    Brad.
    Brad Arnold.......
    www.baldwincomusic.com
    www.Northbaldwinhamradio.org

ClickheretoBlastyoursitetomany
    !Free Search Engine Submission!
    Talking Avatar for your web site!
    Free sound editor
    Voda Host Tutorials

Re: I am up and running!

Not to sure what went wrong. But the site repeatedly asked for active control & lock up my browser. (Using MS explorer)

Chris.
    Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

wow have you ever been busy - your home page does load very slow and i'm on broadband. you might want to make a couple of pages out of your home page - separate some of the information like the local events section. make things easier to find . also put navigation buttons listing important pages like "home" "bluegrass fest" etc. on your other pages so it is easier to get around. love bluegrass - we spent a couple of weeks in Beanblossom last summer - had a great time. we arent musicians just converts asirimarco
      www.movingon1.com
      Ann
      www.MovingOn1.com - My Travel
      www.BeadedCustomDesigns.com - Jewelry
      www.FantasyManorArtStudio.com - Leather Art

Comment

Brad,
        Wow you have done a lot of work. Your site was interesting with lots of information. It did take a long time to load, I am also on broadband. It is a good thing a good portion of the site shows up fast or I might have left before viewing. I did get the music clip to work right away. Your links also worked. You might want to consider organizing your navigation buttons a bit differently they seemed kind of scattered. If you change the background on two of your nav buttons that have a white square around them to match your page background they will blend better. The sound did not work on the guitar sound buttons.
        All in all a nice site that I can tell you put a lot of time and effort in.
        moviemedic

Comment

hmmm... A very very nice site, lots of hard work gone into that well done. However, as above.. I had to close it down as it froze everything up on me? You may put people off there, you might want to relook at that.

Sorry to be negative, but otherwise I was impressed Honest!
          Ramsey
          Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

Thank you all for your responses! I will try to slim down the
            home page somewhat and push the events list to page 2.
            Perhaps even move the pics to another page also. The
            tone bars work on the local preview, and sometimes when
            I re-publish, they begin working. But, as you said, they
            also some times lock up. I will get to work on that one,
            and at least put it on another page now that I have learned
            how to create pages. T-h-a-n-k-s!
            Brad Arnold.......
            www.baldwincomusic.com

Free sound editor
            Voda Host Tutorials

Comment

Very nice and not at all 'hokey'. Agree with comments above and if I may suggest when all is tweaked ....to have samples of music ...which you might have but I was getting frozen out. If you haven't already...use the pix resizer to resize your pictures and that should helpa bit. Great job and it's nice to see local musicians doing their 'thang'. Also I loved the pictures of musical instruments..very nice touch.
              Beezz
              sigpic

http://www.bzzybeezwordz.blogspot.com

Comment

Whoa !
                8 Active X requests at the same time and then your page locked. HAd to force a shut down.
                Bill
                www.blueearthtea.com
                www.ftaaconsulting.com
                www.iaval.com
                www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

Flippin blimey! I dont know what you have on your site but I cant even view it, everytime I try it freezes my screen and I have to Reboot ....talk about giving someone the cold shoulder lol
                  Click the link below for page guidelines (no more sideways scroll)

http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/sho...eferrerid=5490

How to Center your page
                  http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/blu...tml#post124746

Comment

For my money it loads too slow.
                    Could be the wood background, if it's an image they are normally large.
                    Tried it on my site with bricks and it weighed in at around 1 mb, which is way too large.
                    Look at your optimisation!
                    Bruce Hewitt
                    YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE...
                    IT MIGHT AS WELL BE TODAY!

http://www.panzoomproperties.com
                    http://www.thebabydolls.biz
                    bruce@webbrok.com

Comment

The background is a typical "Tile" that is *******ted, not a solid image.(meaning it is OK...)
                      You DO however have multiple wav/mpg files loaded onto a single page, and more than 25 images, all which need resizing and file adjusting....unnecessary load strain....

Secondly, your RealPlayer is not properly configured, and chews up bandwidth trying to reset multiple times (in some visitors browsers, this translates as slow load as it looks to cache your page).

The suggestions to make your pages smaller (content-wise) and maybe more tightly "organized" would serve you and your visitor's experience much better.

(and, unless you are completely committed to it, lose the "hit counter" - it too eats up functional load and is a useless utility)
                      . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
                      * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

The active x control messages may have been coming from the media player control I was using. I changed that so that now, just click on
                        a pic and the mp3 will download and use the users player. Hope that
                        cleared it up!

Brad.
                        Brad Arnold.......
                        www.baldwincomusic.com

Free sound editor
                        Voda Host Tutorials

Comment

well, here I go again whining....but i feel it is important to speak for all the people living in the dial-up darkages with me....I SOO want to see your site as I love the subject...but after more than a week and several attempts each day...I'm so discouraged....today there were 3 active x boxes (better than the other day, though) and every minute I had to refresh and STILL got red x and just a little bit of your page actually loaded. After 4 refreshes, i just give up.

I'm not saying any of this to make you feel bad or to be mean...I know I'm in the stone ages.......i HATE to post negative things...but I just thought you would want to know from a different perspective.

Please think of your target audience....if they all have high speed connections, then my rambling is pointless. But if there is any chance that even half of them are on dial up...???

Is there any way you could separate your site into smaller pages?

Ok, sorry for my whining. I'm sure you have a wonderful site and I would love to hear your music someday!! At least I got to see your picture and your group's picture at the top of the page! Looks like a fun group! I will try and view it again in the future!

Maybe i better get satellite.
                          still working on website!

Comment

Thank you again for the response to my review. I am in the process
                            of thinning down the pages as I have already done to the home page.
                            I have added pages too, but I am trying to keep them neat.

I plan on putting all the pictures on the 'showcase' page into some
                            form of gallery folder, when I find what I'm looking for.

As for dial-up users; ok, let me whine! I don't believe anyone today
                            should be using dial-up! Ok, that said, I can report that most users
                            in my area are on DSL which is just slightly more cost than dial-up,
                            so due to successfull marketing by the phone company, dsl is gaining
                            usage here. Lots of folks, like myself, are also on cable. Cable is
                            only about ten dollars more than dsl.

I'm not sure if the active x problem has been solved. Most computers
                            I access have no problem with the pages. However, I do have one
                            here that does get the control errors on one page (music notes).
                            I might need someone more **** that I to help solve that issue.

I am getting comments from local users, all positive.
                            The site is growing in content. I do need an album to load pictures into
                            but I need lots of room for descriptions. I'm looking in to that now.

My wife says I don't pay her any attention now that I have this site up!
                            So, There is only so much time in the evening to work on it!

Giving her a 'recipes' page has helped greatly!!

Thanks again and sorry for the faults!
                            Brad Arnold.......
                            www.baldwincomusic.com

Free sound editor
                            Voda Host Tutorials

Comment

Either the above mentioned issues have all been resolved, or my broadband connection is the greatest thing since sliced bread! I opened it up and it took no more than 5-7 sec to load the entire page. If this is the norm for slow pages then I guess it's slow. Otherwise, if you are able to get fastaccess DSL from bellsouth I suggest you do (assuming you're in Florida) that's what I have.
                              There are some things I would change. I went through all the advertising ads on the bottom of your home page and some will open a new page while others don't. Make sure they all open in new windows so that people aren't steered away from your site. I really like that there is a site that actually helps to tune an instrument. Very informative and helpful. I don't think it's hokey at all. As a matter of fact I think it's a very nice site.
                              Mike
                              www.suzannemichaelcatering.com

Comment

Working...
                              X