PDA

View Full Version : what if I dont like using Soholaunch?

Marincky
08-01-2006, 08:05 PM
I am thinking of setting up a new account and trying Soholaunch. As I won't have a website already with the new account, I am presuming I just start to use soholaunch staright away as per your detailed instructions.

However, what if, once I have started using it I don't like it? Do I just make the site with the usual BV software or will I need to reset the account?

davidundalicia
08-01-2006, 08:53 PM
I believe that You will need to reset and start all over again.

Marincky
08-01-2006, 08:56 PM
Thanks David... not good news but thanks for letting me know. I wish I could sample it b4 i try that's all. have you tried it?

davidundalicia
08-01-2006, 09:26 PM
No but I have seen so many posts from people who have tried it and its really turned me off...............

The other problem(for me) is that I only have a slow Wifi IP and to create you must be online.....so its a no.no for me.

Marincky
08-01-2006, 09:32 PM
Cheers David! Any room on that yacht of yours in spain for me and the girlfriend? I mean Permanent room ; - )
Ramsey

Bethers
08-02-2006, 12:59 AM
I didn't have to reset my account - and I had built on Soho - just deleted Soho and went back to BV.

Vasili
08-02-2006, 04:10 AM
I am thinking of setting up a new account and trying Soholaunch. However, what if, once I have started using it I don't like it? Do I just make the site with the usual BV software or will I need to reset the account?You don't need a new account to try your hand with Soho.....and you SHOULD start with Soho as you get the hang of working with carts!

1. Create a folder named "cart" in your Blue Voda folder located in "My Documents" simply by opening the folder in Explorer and 'CREATE NEW FOLDER.' >> This is how you are creating a new "directory" for Soho to reside in....it is the same method for adding a sub-domain, add-on domains, Forums folders, blogs directories, etc.

2. Upload this new (empty) folder named "cart" to your VH account via the BlueFTP tool in Blue Voda.

3. Go to your VH Account Control Panel, and through Fantastico! install Soholaunch yourself, MANUALLY specifying this new "cart" folder as the destination directory. This way, you can always uninstall Soho from it and install OSC to the same folder according to whim without messing up your BV "public_html" directory or have to resort to resetting your entire account....

When linking/accessing, merely add "cart" to your command, and you will immediately by default have the "index" of the cart present itself. For example, if linking to your cart via a BV page link, you would enter it thus:
www.MyOriginalDomainName.com/ (http://www.MyOriginalDomainName.com/cart/)cart/ (http://www.MyOriginalDomainName.com/cart/)

I try to keep things simple!

Marincky
08-02-2006, 09:04 AM
Thank you Vasili. You're a star! I now understand : - )

Marincky
08-02-2006, 09:21 AM
uploaded the empty file "cart" to my account through ftp 3 times and I still can't see it?

navaldesign
08-02-2006, 09:39 AM

I don't know about Vassili's experience. Maybe i'm a bit left behind because i don't use Soho very often. But, in MY experience, you CANNOT manually install Soho in a folder. That's because the Soholaunch installation wizard will NOT allow you to install it in a user defined folder. It will ask for the DOMAIN to install soho in, so you need to first create a SUBDOMAIN for it.

You also don't need a folder in your computer, specifically for Soho, as soho is a serverside builder so everything is on the server.

So, the steps are:
1. Create the SUBDOMAIN. Let's suppose you call it "soho".
2. Go to Fantastico, and select Soholaunch. Click on "new installation".
3. in the first steps you will be asked for the domain to install Soho in, answer, select "soho.yoursite.com" from the dropdown list.
4. Click on install.

Marincky
08-02-2006, 09:43 AM
Thanks for your help guys but this one truly is beyond me.... I'll stick to what I have I think!!! I am too worried about messing something up, I just have too many websites to risk going wrong!

Thank you anyway

islandcrazy
08-02-2006, 03:26 PM
Marnicky, don't think that!!!! I'm a total "DUH" to all this and I even tried Soho!!! So come on, you can do it! Just do what Naval said if you want to try it out. I did it just fine. Right now, I abandoned it and am building my other pages in BV and I will probably get rid of Soho later as I couldn't customize it the way I wanted.....but I wanted to try it anyway! So go ahead and try it! What was it that you wanted to do with it?

Then, do what Bethers said...when she decided she didn't want Soho, she just deleted it and returned to BV. As long as you keep it all separated from your other sites, you will be okie dokie! Then, if you like it, you can link it to any of your other sites you wish.

Now go, try it! you MIGHT like it! LOL

Marincky
08-02-2006, 03:38 PM
I probably will end up trying it in the end.... I never let anything beat me!!

By the way you neveranswered my question yesterday... where is that island in your picture... I want to live there!

islandcrazy
08-02-2006, 03:45 PM
LOL..you sound like me....i am determined to learn this stuff and conquer it even if it KILLS me! I didn't see your ? yesterday...sorry...the island is St. Thomas Virgin Islands. I want to live there, too!!! My fav. is St. John though, right by St. Thomas. If you ever want to visit there, I can give you "travel tips". MUCH better than website tips!

Marincky
08-02-2006, 03:49 PM
I'll bear that in mind thank you, no doubt once I make my fortune I will be asking more info!

Bethers
08-02-2006, 05:16 PM
Just a comment about Vasili saying you SHOULD try Soho for cart experience. I've now tried more carts than I want to name or think about - and I've learned I won't try them anymore without finding out if they'll do the things I need them to do. Soho's cart couldn't - and I wasted a LOT of time building with it - with a store that didn't look at all as good as what I could do with BV - before I discovered that. If it WILL do what you need it to do- then, by all means, give it a try.

I also feel you get better soho help here than you do on their own forum - and when you do try to get hold of help from Soho - they might take days (or longer) to answer that they can't do it or will charge mega-bucks for it. Now, if you're like Karen and feel comfortable doing lots of programming in the back-end yourself - you might be able to make all the changes yourself. She's customized her Soho store so much, you can't recognize it as Soho!

islandcrazy
08-02-2006, 05:37 PM
Ahhh Bethers.....my feeling EXACTLY on the "lack"of support....when I was trying to use it, I was so frustrated by this and started to post a couple of times in threads where people asked which one to use, Soho or BV, to watch out for that support issue......but always changed my mind thinking I was just too inexperienced. Hearing you say it too makes me realize it is a valid concern, as you have WAY more experience than I do.

But i totally agree...and sorry Marnicky...it is something to take into consideration if you need alot of "support" then it may get frustrating to you...there just isn't alot of traffic on their forum and if you get stuck...well, you are stuck! I'm not trying to be negative about Soho support...but I definitley think it is not "user friendly" to people who are very inexperienced (like me!) at customizing, etc.

Having said that, you may want a totally different site than me that needs no customizing and in that case, I loved the way Soho worked and how easy it was to set up the store, etc. I would definitly recommend it to anyone who needs a store like the ones in their demo. It is the way to go if you are ok with their templates and such. For me, I just had too many variables.

Anyways, it just depends on what YOU need!

Vasili
08-02-2006, 10:43 PM

I don't know about Vassili's experience. Maybe i'm a bit left behind because i don't use Soho very often. But, in MY experience, you CANNOT manually install Soho in a folder. That's because the Soholaunch installation wizard will NOT allow you to install it in a user defined folder. It will ask for the DOMAIN to install soho in, so you need to first create a SUBDOMAIN for it.

You also don't need a folder in your computer, specifically for Soho, as soho is a serverside builder so everything is on the server.

So, the steps are:
1. Create the SUBDOMAIN. Let's suppose you call it "soho".
2. Go to Fantastico, and select Soholaunch. Click on "new installation".
3. in the first steps you will be asked for the domain to install Soho in, answer, select "soho.yoursite.com" from the dropdown list.
4. Click on install."Sub-Domain/Sub-Folder"...it's really the same isn't it General?
That is how I installed Soho in my account, which allows me to keep everything neat and tidy.....and it is the only simple way I can describe the installation process to those seeking to have a BV front-end without having them confused about how to create a folder/sub-domain, where to transfer it from, etc.

This little suggestion of setting Soho up this way in a "directory" all it's own to experiment with allows Marincky to uninstall it and install OsC similarly without messing up his whole account with his BV created Public_html directory (which would otherwise need to be reset, losing not only his earlier work - if not backed up beforehand properly - but also his email in the downtime). It is essentially the same setup as if you were going to "password protect" it, or if you were going to install a cart in a single account that had many different sub-doamains associated with it, correct?

If I am wrong, then I need to really know before I continue to offer my experiences to others....I am merely repeating my own personal processes.

navaldesign
08-02-2006, 10:49 PM
No,it is absolutely NOT the same. A subfolder is on local (on the server) level, and only accessible with alink of the follwing type: http://www.yourdomain.com/subfoldername . A subdomain relies on the DNSsystem and is directly accessible as http://www.subdomain.yoursite.com .

A subdomain is recognised by the system as a domain, a subfolder is not.

And i really can't see how did you instal "manually" Soho in a "subfolder". Soho is single license and will require a DOMAIN for it to get installed.

I agree on keeping things clear and organised. I only disagreed with the instructions because not correct.

Vasili
08-02-2006, 11:33 PM
Alrighty then!
I will keep this quite clear from now on, and note the distinctions without fail to others in the future.

Ευχαριστώ!

navaldesign
08-03-2006, 05:12 AM
Eγώ Ευχαριστώ!

Your help to Soho users is very appreciated, and you are the most active member on the matter. So just thought that a small clarification would be useful. Thankyou again.