Site Template Installation Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Site Template Installation Question

I'm looking for to buy a full site template, but first I want to test how will it work by downloading a free template. What I done so far:

1. I downloaded the free full site template.
    2. Next I UnZipped it to my Desktop.
    3. Then I got bunch of folders and files there. What next? How can I get the template on the screen? I couldn' find there any .exe file or install icon.

Please help.
    Thank you in advance!
    Ed.

Re: Site Template Installation Question

where EXACTLY did you download the template from?

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Thank You for you involvement to my question.
      I downloaded from Treasure Chest, form the link
      http://www.vodahost.com/osct_downloads.htm
      Template ID# 2606, it's very first one from the top left on the list of available templates there.

Comment

Ok..These are oScommerce shopping cart templates. Included is a "read me" file with full installation instructions.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

It's what is written under "ReadMe" file.
          I'm sorry but firstable where to find in order to install a clean version of the osCommerce Milestone 2.2 and so on. It's not so clear to me how to do it. Thank you in advance for your kind help. Ed

1. Install a clean version of the osCommerce Milestone 2.2 Release (OSC 2.2MS2),
          run the install program and verify that everything works.
          2. Copy/replace files from "os001" folder (except psd and fonts directory) to their repective directories.
          3. Add these lines to your /catalog/includes/configure.php script. These lines
          should go before the final line with the ?> characters on it.
          // STS: ADD: Define Simple Template System files
          define('STS_START_CAPTURE', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'sts_start_capture.php');
          define('STS_STOP_CAPTURE', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'sts_stop_capture.php');
          define('STS_RESTART_CAPTURE', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'sts_restart_capture.php');
          define('STS_TEMPLATE_DIR', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'sts_templates/');
          define('STS_DEFAULT_TEMPLATE', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'sts_template.html');
          define('STS_DISPLAY_OUTPUT', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'sts_display_output.php');
          define('STS_USER_CODE', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'sts_user_code.php');
          define('STS_PRODUCT_INFO', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'sts_product_info.php');
          // STS: EOADD
          NOTE: DO NOT put the files in the /admin/ directories. This contribution
          only works in the /catalog/ section.

Comment

moving to scripts section.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Yeah, I get it. I will try not to bother you.

Comment

Originally posted by VodaHost
                moving to scripts section.
                Relax! This thread was merely moved to the proper Forum in hopes of getting the attention it deserves!

The first line you mentioned was merely an advisement: be sure you have the most current version of OsC (version 2.2) which, if you recently downloaded from VodaHost, you in fact DO have.
                >> This really means the template you downloaded is current, and capable of being fully utilized by the OsC system you have.

Follow the remaining instructions carefully.....you will need to upload your new Template File into the appropriate "Template Folder" (which is a sub-folder) in your OsC Folder of your VH account. Use the BlueFTP tool in Blue Voda to do this...it will clearly show you the elements with the proper labels and names.
                ** HINT: When you want to upload it, use "COPY TO" rather than the "drag-and-drop" method....you want to be sure to not only keep everything nicely contained in your folder, but have a fresh "default" file on your hard drive should you need to repeat the process....
                . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
                * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Thank You.

Comment

Uni,

If you browse the OSCOMMERCE forum, i believe they have instructions for adding a customized and or PAID template such as the one you downloaded. It will tell you what to use to OPEN the php files, DONT open them in the file manager as it will overwrite the // php needs for its commands. Then type in those lines in the appropriate file after you have downloaded it to your desktop. Personally I use dreamweaver and switch to the html or code view, do my edits, save, and reup with the ftp manager.

Its alot to take in all at once, so just do step by step rather than look at the whole picture, so you arent feeling overwhelmed. Once you do it, you'll start to feel ok with it.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Oops forgot to add that at the top of this thread are instructions for installin os commerce to your hosting.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Originally posted by Karen Mac
                        Uni,

If you browse the OSCOMMERCE forum, i believe they have instructions for adding a customized and or PAID template such as the one you downloaded. It will tell you what to use to OPEN the php files, DONT open them in the file manager as it will overwrite the // php needs for its commands. Then type in those lines in the appropriate file after you have downloaded it to your desktop. Personally I use dreamweaver and switch to the html or code view, do my edits, save, and reup with the ftp manager.

Its alot to take in all at once, so just do step by step rather than look at the whole picture, so you arent feeling overwhelmed. Once you do it, you'll start to feel ok with it.

Karen
                        Karen-
                        Ed is past this...and does not HAVE Dream....he clearly just needed to see what lines to copy, and basic steps to place the file...the rest is automatic! >> *He doesn't even really need to change any code...he can simply place the new file intact and select which "Skin" to use as default.....just like you would in Soho, or phpBB Forums.....SIMPLE!
                        . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
                        * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Karen Mac & Vasili,
                          Thank you for your valuable involvement to my question. I work during the day time, and only have some time in the evening and on weekends, while I will try to follow you advises. So I need some time, I guess, to figure this out. By the way, I think I found my problem: I try to find the shortcuts buying the template, by skipping the manual to success, I mean video lessons provided by BlueVoda. Now I decided to go through each lesson of every chapter, and then and only then I will be able to understand this subject better, and come back to it. Best Regards to All of You!!!
                          Ed.

Comment

Working...
                          X