PDA

View Full Version : Porta -

kassi59
08-04-2006, 03:16 PM
Im wondering if anyone knows any troubleshooting in using the Porta application.
Ive created a wonderful page, just the way I want it, colors, photos all in line. After adding the URL to my I-frame and publishing - it will and it wont work....very unstable....I have viewed it perfectly, and two others cant seem to recieve the photo section within the frame...then there are also times that it wont load for me either...
Im wondering if Im doing something wrong or is the program just unstable...
and if it is in fact unstable, is there another application that is sooooo easy and is able to load so quickly...
Jalbum is too large and loads too slowly for me...I do have photoshop but I really like using Porta...
Thank you in advance for any info you may have -
You can try to see if it works for you or not -
http://kateart-cards.com/photo_101.html

seems to have issues with firefox.....

asirimarco
08-04-2006, 04:36 PM
hi - when i went to your link the page loaded fine but with just a big white square in the center - nothing in it - and i use IE6 - sorry - wish i knew of a program that would work for you - i use picturetrail but they stick there logo right next to the photos -

Aliens Anonymous
08-04-2006, 05:07 PM
Hi Kassi59
on the link you left i get big white space. are buttons above the fame supposed to appear in the fame when clicked. i have used porta many times as a stand alone page Here (http://www.aliensanonymous.org/gallery.html) but not in a ifame. as the program makes a gallery of it's own which you link to. there are sripts out there where you can have one large picture in the middle of the page and thumb nail pictures around it. which when clicked appear in the centre frame. Here (http://www.aliensanonymous.org/gallerys.html)
i will see if i can insert a porta album into a ifame and see if i get the same problem.
get back to you later.

choco777
08-04-2006, 05:08 PM
Your beautiful photos loaded fine for me in FF and IE7.

kassi59
08-04-2006, 08:59 PM
Thank you Choco!...and it did load for you in FF I just tried and I get all but where the photos should be is a big blue nothing!...
On aol, its fine...
I dont get it...
Alien, maybe you have a point of the I-frame...
Heres the link (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/kassi/Desktop/1st%20page/images/album/index.html) to the original page...but ive used I -Frames before with other web pages including my own..so Im at a loss....
Its such a drag as its a really neat program...

Aliens Anonymous
08-04-2006, 09:14 PM
let me get this straight you have the iframe and you want to open the porta gallery within the iframe. just checking to see if i understand.
see porta uses a page of it's own with it's own size. now to open in iframe you would have to resize the porta ablum page. or you would get a sideways scroll. i will give it a go and see what i come up wiyh.

kassi59
08-04-2006, 09:17 PM
yes, exactly...thats why you are seeing a "white" square on your page, that what another said they saw...myself Im getting the full proper view here, except firefox wont load the porta page...just stays blank...and it should (the I-Frame) show what ever I want...so as far as I know?!
Thanks for looking at this for me I do apreciate it..

Aliens Anonymous
08-04-2006, 09:25 PM
Hi Kate
just made one seems to work but as i said the scroll is naff. Here (http://www.aliensanonymous.org/testme.html)

Aliens Anonymous
08-04-2006, 09:30 PM
Hi kate again just checked the code for that page notice the bit in red.
<IFRAME name="PHOTOGRAPY 101" style="position:absolute;left:125px;top:179px;width:538px ;height:564px;z-index:18" src="file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/kassi/Desktop/1st%20page/images/album/index.html (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/kassi/Desktop/1st%20page/images/album/index.html)" scrolling="no" frameborder="1">Your browser does not support inline frames or is currently configured not to display inline frames.</IFRAME>
<DIV style="position:absolute;left:125px;top:760px;width:243px ;height:16px;z-index:19" align="center">

That should not be there, you should direct that to a page on page on your server if you look at the one i did the iframe is pointed to one of my tip pages but that could be anything like instructions. redo the link in the iframe to a page you want the veiwer to see before they click to see the porta ablum ( thats if you can resize porta to fit )

Aliens Anonymous
08-04-2006, 10:03 PM
Hi again just been on my porta program, you can change the size of the thumbnail and main image. also were the thumbnails appear, so with a little giging about there should be no reason why you can't do what you want.

kassi59
08-05-2006, 10:49 AM
Yea, I had been looking at the URL and knew something was wrong, but I had a mental block...but thanks to you I have uploaded the album to my server and it seems to work now...lol...but then again...its always worked from my computer....of course it did!....it was working off MY desktop files!...lol...does nobody any good if they dont have my files!...lol....
Thanks for helping me find my brain!...lol...
have look/see now and let me know if its any better...
http://www.kateart-cards.com/photo_101.html

See now using 'page info' Im seeing the porta application. whereas before it wasnt coming up...
Dont forget to upload into FTP manager!!!!!!!!!!!!....

Aliens Anonymous
08-05-2006, 11:46 AM
Yea, I had been looking at the URL and knew something was wrong, but I had a mental block...but thanks to you I have uploaded the album to my server and it seems to work now...lol...but then again...its always worked from my computer....of course it did!....it was working off MY desktop files!...lol...does nobody any good if they dont have my files!...lol....
Thanks for helping me find my brain!...lol...
have look/see now and let me know if its any better...
http://www.kateart-cards.com/photo_101.html

See now using 'page info' Im seeing the porta application. whereas before it wasnt coming up...
Dont forget to upload into FTP manager!!!!!!!!!!!!....

looks great to me, excellent

kassi59
08-05-2006, 11:49 AM
Thanx Alien - so that was my problem then was that I hadnt uploaded to my server..Id really hate to redo everything to find a bug in the works..lol

Aliens Anonymous
08-05-2006, 11:58 AM
yes but now you know. you could have several ablums that appear in the iframe so you could have different Categories wild life, pets, landscape and so on, just a thought.

kassi59
08-05-2006, 12:01 PM
yes, thats what I had planned to do. Ive been trying for so long to find something that I wanted to use, and this is what I was looking for..I just didnt want to do all the work and find that it wasnt a good program..
Now that I know more and to upload it..I plan to do a re vamp and add more.....

Aliens Anonymous
08-05-2006, 12:03 PM
look forward to seeing the finished item.

circuspet.com
08-05-2006, 11:07 PM
Kassi59:

Dear General, let me see if I'v got this right, you want to put a program within a program? If you can get it to work I would love to copy you.
I could load my dogs gallery by using the inframe to seperate the gallery into breeds and have those galleries come up individually in the inframe.
I'm thinking thats what I'm hearing. wouldn't be the first time I was confused. Anyway the chicken I am will wait for your trial to prove this Idea.

Aliens Anonymous
08-05-2006, 11:23 PM
Hi circuspet
the young lady made it work have a look here (http://www.kateart-cards.com/photo_101.html)

asirimarco
08-05-2006, 11:24 PM
i have put 5 albums on one page using Porta - but not using an I frame - would this work for you? http://www.movingon1.com/porta.html

circuspet.com
08-06-2006, 12:08 AM
asirimarco:

what I really need is a brain, but for the time I would like to load 140albums (common breeds) each with the potential of several hunderd photos. all accessable from the one page dogs gallery. every time I think I have an answer the numbers kill me and thats just the dogs. was thinking of making a page for each breed then building galleries accordingly

Aliens Anonymous
08-06-2006, 01:12 AM
Thats a alot of albums with a lot of pics. you will not be able to use the iframe as there will be to many thumbnails. you might want to try something like this click here (http://www.aliensanonymous.org/gallery.html) then you just have one page with the links on.

circuspet.com
08-06-2006, 05:25 AM
I have been accused of shooting for the stars, but if nobody takes aim at the stars nobody will ever get there. I don't think I can get enough links on one page, so many breeds. what do you think of a page for each breed. That seems like too many pages just for making subsets. I don't have any Idea how big a site can be. I would imagine as big as your wallet. There has to be a value breakdown size vs. cost to optimize building goals.

kassi59
08-06-2006, 10:59 AM
Why couldnt you just add more than one I -Frame onto one page? Porta allows up to 20 thumbnails...If you add two frames that would give you 40 pics on one page..but that would be quite a bit Pet for the amount of photos you would have..
Have a look at Porta (http://www.tucows.com/preview/373591)yourself and see if its something you can use.
I made a quick page to see if you can use two I-frames with two different porta files... Pets pets (http://kateart-cards.com/Pets_pets.html) It worked...but you may find a better program that will work with more multi photos...email me if you need more input.

Aliens Anonymous
08-06-2006, 11:05 AM
Why couldnt you just add more than one I -Frame onto one page? Porta allows up to 20 thumbnails...If you add two frames that would give you 40 pics on one page..but that would be quite a bit Pet for the amount of photos you would have..
Have a look at Porta (http://www.tucows.com/preview/373591)yourself and see if its something you can use.
I made a quick page to see if you can use two I-frames with two different porta files... Pets pets (http://kateart-cards.com/Pets_pets.html) It worked...but you may find a better program that will work with more multi photos...email me if you need more input.

Ah Kate your just showing off now, clever though

kassi59
08-06-2006, 11:08 AM
lol...not trying to Alien...just playing to see if there is a way for pet to use porta ..From using 2 I dont see why one couldnt use more per page?!

kassi59
08-06-2006, 11:11 AM
curiosity kill the Kat.....satisfaction brought her back!......lol

Aliens Anonymous
08-06-2006, 11:20 AM
Are you sure porta only does 20 pics, i'm shore i've got more than that in my albums. ( watch this space i bet someone comes up with 4 or 5 ifames on a page ).

kassi59
08-06-2006, 11:24 AM
LOL probably!...Im using it now and of course Im not **** with it as of yet, but where it says thumbnails the count is 20..so Im not sure how to get more than that on there..as Ive not taken a photo since beginging here!....lol...how did u get more than that on yours?

Aliens Anonymous
08-06-2006, 11:35 AM
yep, if i remember right put all pic you want into one folder. then when you start porta it ask you to find folder to build album, point it at the folder a press ok, then do the options bit. and way you go.

kassi59
08-06-2006, 11:37 AM
Very cool good to know!...so I guess that the thumbnails will come up with an arrow to go to the next sect of pics.......cool...

circuspet.com
08-06-2006, 12:59 PM
Kassi59:

The Idea of putting a program inside a program definately turn a light on.
The logistics of what I am doing is mind boggeling ( at least my mind) and I must take into account continuity and simplicity of use. I do wan't a 10 yr old to be able to use this site. (making my self the perfect test viewer)
I really apriciate the help I'm getting from yourself and Garry. I must apologize for what must seem to you a very slow pace but it took years to build this analitical mind and I forgot to put in a reverse. to add to my
whining session I;m out of smokes, need some coffee and now my scanneris putting streaks across my Images. I must resolve the subset issue before I can go any further. Will be back after coffee.

Oh yea! good Morning.

kassi59
08-06-2006, 01:03 PM
MORNIN' PET!
You did see the above post from alien that states you can add all the photos you need to...right?
This application is so simple makes ya wanna slapp yo momma!~

circuspet.com
08-06-2006, 02:21 PM
Kassi59:

Simple, thats me for sure.

circuspet.com
08-06-2006, 02:34 PM
Aliens Anonymous:

With my scanner down, I don't have a lot I can do now except build the program to prepare for loading of non existing files. I would like to start
with your 6 menu if that is ready to use. after I have set up the catagories. I'll come back to this thread to whine some more. If this all works I'll owe you guys a lot of pogs. LOL

kassi59
08-06-2006, 03:27 PM
The first thing I did was to create desktop folders for what I wanted. Then added the photos..After when you are ready for loading into porta just do it!...
Did u get the link for the application? If you download it (very small program) you can have a play with it so you are used to it and what it can do for you...I just love it!

asirimarco
08-06-2006, 06:19 PM
thank you for all of your posts reguarding Porta - you are right it is fun - i have to stop reading about different things - 'cause i want to try them all like this http://www.movingon1.com/porta.html my husband says i get carried away ann

kassi59
08-06-2006, 06:23 PM
It makes the job so much more fun when the programs are simple and fun...AND work the way you want them to!
Have fun ann and go ahead and get carried away, thats how we all learn!

circuspet.com
08-06-2006, 06:27 PM
asirimarco:

Great photos. Do you have any idea how much data can be placed on the tags?

asirimarco
08-06-2006, 08:51 PM
didn't see any where if there are limits - so this time i addem more text to a few pics - the longest was 56 letters+spaces and the end of the last word i had to scroll to see - a.

circuspet.com
08-06-2006, 10:04 PM
asirimarco:

I have put up a few pics on my site so people helping me can see what I want to do. ( a picture is worth a thousand words) On the examples I put text boxes under the photos to creat tags aand was hoping tags in the porta program would allow enough information. When viewing your new index page I noticed Al Hurt was taking 5. I too resized the media player box to allow the player to show, but later oppted to make it invisible and let viewers mute their computers if the music was not to their taste. the look of the player doesn't match much and is distracting. It only takes three cliks to mute,and I thought it was of little convinence to show the player.

P.S. circuspet>petstar>dogs gallery for example